Newer model S5 screen goes black and unresponsive

mrender

Posted · Newer model S5 screen goes black and unresponsive

During prints we find that our newer model (U on side) s5 screens occasionally go black and unresponsive.  They finish printing but then become unusable until switched off and on again with the power switch.  Older model machine (robot on side).  Can this be remedied?

This might be a known bug and already fixed. What firmware version are your printers running?
    When the bug happens again, can you then dump the log files to usb and post them here?

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Newer model S5 screen goes black and unresponsive

@CarloK I just experienced this with my S3.  It's about 35 days old, on Firmware 7.0.2.  I haven't tried power cycling, but the screen is off and it is merrily printing away.  I will known in 5 hours, 46 minutes.  I don't know how to dump the log officially, so I attached the result of the JSON request that the management page makes and zipped that up for you.

Screen went black some time within the last 4 hours or so.zip

Edited by MobyDisk
    Added @ for the moderator who asked for logs.

@MobyDisk Sorry to hear your display has problems. I hope your print will finish successfully.
    Thanks for posting the log file. Your method works and we can use this. Next time you can use the "Dump log files" option from the Diagnostics menu, this will save some additional files for us to examine.

I see nothing out of the ordinary in the log file. I'll forward it to the responsible team, perhaps they know more.

@CarloK Thanks, I will use that option next time.  The print finished successfully and a reboot fixed the problem.  If it happens again, I will post to this thread and open a support ticket.  Is there anything else I can do if it happens again that might be helpful?  One idea I thought of is to try and touch the screen on the left side to see if the touch sensor is working.  I believe it writes log messages when you switch to a different tab.

Same problem with my new S5. Interestingly, I can still control the printer over the network via Cura.  It seems that  the lcd and touchscreen just turn off, but everything else is still functional. 

I can only confirm this as well. 
    I have three printers, one S5 and two S3. Regardless of the printer model, it occasionally happens that the screen goes completely black and no longer responds. 
    This can be solved with a reboot. In fact, the display sometimes reactivates itself. 

My printers are always turned on, as this allows me to send new print jobs directly to the printers. 
    It seems that the display stops working, especially after a long period of inactivity. The screensaver does not seem to help. 
    As I said, after a longer waiting period following the display failure, it occasionally happens that the display catches itself. 

If this happens during printing, all direct settings on the printer are of course not available, which can lead to problems.  

Happens on my newer (U on the side) S5 as well, usually during period of inactivity.

@CarloK Happened again.  I must reboot in order to access the Diagnostic menu and export the logs.  Will the logs get reset upon reboot?  Just in case, I also attached a JSON export captured from before I rebooted.  I will open a ticket and I guess I will post the ticket number in this thread so that others can track it and add to it?  Or are the tickets private?

2022-Feb-08 2021 MobyMaker logs from before rebooting.zip 2022-Feb-08 2021 MobyMaker logs.zip

Also, I was able to confirm that the touch screen did not respond while it was black.  I clicked where "Confirm Removal" should be and the printer did not stop pulsing the lights and did not re-home the motors like it normally would.  I also think the backlight was off because it was totally black.  Your LCD panel is dang good, but I am pretty sure I can tell a powered-down display from a black screen.

Edited by MobyDisk
    Adedd paragraph explaining about how the touch screen was not responding.

Thanks for sharing the log files, I added those to our ticket.
    We have more reports of this issue and are able to reproduce it on a test machine. It's a bug in the display process and only happens when the display is left untouched for a long period. We haven't found the problem cause yet, but are looking into this.

• Thanks 1

I just got the same blank/unresponsive screen on our newer model S5. Firmware 6.5.3 (Current stable release). This has happen periodically since owning  for the last 3 months or so. Always forced to remedy by powering the machine off and on again. We have the pro bundle ( Air Manager and Material Station) if that makes any difference.

I have once heard the bizarre suggestion of disconnecting the AM and MS and rebooting and that sometimes recovers things.  I have no idea why that might work.

It seems more likely to me that some file on the "hard drive" (actually SSD) on the S5 is corrupt.

I just powered-on my Ultimaker S3 and the touch-screen is frozen at the "Ultimaker S3" logo.  The touch-screen is non-responsive.  However, the web site is working and Cura connected to the printer and the "Print over network" button is available.  This looks like the same symptom, but it happened at power-on instead of after sitting idle for a long time.  I can't get logs via the touch-screen without rebooting so I'll do them using the web via the API like I did before.

P.S. I clicked the button to send my print job.  The web UI is waiting for me to switch materials, but the touch-screen UI did not change.

ultimaker frozen log.zip

Edited by MobyDisk
    Added additional testing information

Did you see any errors in the log?  Sorry I'm too busy this morning to look at it myself plus I'd simply be searching for the words "error" "critical" or "fail".

If so extract just that part and use the @ to flag a UM employee like carlok above.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, gr5 said:

I have once heard the bizarre suggestion of disconnecting the AM and MS and rebooting and that sometimes recovers things.  I have no idea why that might work.

This bug was fixed in v6.4.0, released May 2021; only applicable to S5 printers with AirManager and/or MaterialStation. The problem was that on boot it takes some time to detect the external devices, when a print job was waiting in the queue this could already start and would later block the printer.

@MobyDisk - is this intermittent or does it hang everytime you boot?

@MobyDisk In your v7.0.2 logs I see a bug we fixed in the upcoming v7.0.3, but I'm not sure this is causing your problems. The bug is that on saving configuration files we try to replace the existing file, but we didn't handle a situation where the file is missing. In your logs this concerns the network settings file.

I asked a colleague for when the bug was introduced, but I guess it has to do with performing a factory reset and then the settings file is removed.

Is your printer booting occasionally?
    Would you feel comfortable with using SSH to login to the printer and execute a command?

I too have UMS5 and recently I have been getting black screen after some inactivity. Reboot fixes the issue. But then again.  

@gr5 @CarloK In both cases I rebooted and it is working just fine.

@CarloK I am quite comfortable with SSH and embedded systems.  FYI: I have not done a factory reset.  Could I have improperly power-cycled the printer at some point?  Do my logs from Jan 30th show the problem?  If not, then the missing file was introduced between then and now.  I am not having any networking problems with the printer.  If this SSH session will help you do a root cause analysis, I'm open to it.  But so far, the problem is rare enough that I can wait for 7.0.3 and continue monitoring in the mean time.  Would you like me to power cycle the S3 and post some more logs of bad and good boot ups?  I could do it a few times and see if it is consistently an every-other-time kind of thing, or if it is random.

P.S. I am on US eastern time.

@MobyDisk When your printer is working (more-or-less), then there is no need for extra actions and you can wait for the 7.0.3 release. What I see in the log files are problems in writing the network settings, but when there is no need for change, then that's no problem. Since the bug has already been fixed for the upcoming release I don't need any extra log files.

@MobyDisk - I heard from someone that they updated firmware and now if they change cores while the power is off it won't boot when they power on.  But if they put the previous core back in then it boots fine.  Not sure if they have properly diagnosed this (repeated the experiment a few times).  Anyway I thought of you.  Is it possible that this is a correctly identified bug and what was causing your issues?

@gr5 - Sorry for the belated reply - I am fairy certain that I have never changed cores while the printer is off.  It did not occur to me that this would be possible until I read your post.  It has been almost 30 days since I was last on here and I have had no further incidents of either type.  Although I have not attempted any >12 hour prints since that time.  I will continue to post logs should it happen again.

@gr5 Happened again, *while I was watching*

1. Cura: "Print from network"

2. Walk over to printer, open door, loosen clips, remove platform

3. Printer homes the build plate and starts pre-heating

4. Grab my 3DLac, walk into the next room, spray

5. Return to the printer, place build plate

6. As I was pushing the glass build plate onto the metal platform, the printer slid backward about an inch, and *the screen went black*.

7. I aborted the print remotely, then confirmed that the touch screen would not respond to my touches.

8. Power cycled the printer, exported logs via the touch-screen UI.

9. Restarted print

This is definitely not the first time that I have removed the build plate and applied 3DLac or glue just as a print started.  Is that a problem?  I just make sure I finish quickly since I know the first step is to warm the platform before it runs the auto-leveling.  It is also not the first time that applying pressure to the glass to slide it under the rear clips has caused the printer to slide back a bit.  I don't think I was pushing too hard as the printer is easy for me to move around on the table.  I regularly move/rotate the printer this when loading/unloading filament as well.

The printer has been on for at least 24 hours, and did a couple of 3 - 4 hour prints yesterday.  I wish I had recorded the whole thing.  The screen blanking absolutely corresponded with the instant that the printer slid backward.

ultimakersystem-0030d6283580.7.0.2.boot-1.log.zip

Edited by MobyDisk
    Whoops, hit enter before typing anything and it somehow saved.