Z Switch Stuck - ER06, but switch is ok

Massassi

Posted · Z Switch Stuck - ER06, but switch is ok

I am getting an "ER06  Z Switch Stuck". But the z-switch is connected correctly and is working fine. (measured the resistance in open en closed state on the motherboard). What could be wrong?

That is not it. The screw is still correct. If the table is in its lowest position, it presses the switch and I measured it on the motherboard. So the signal comes in. It looks like nothing is happening with it. I also replaced the switch, but it did not help. (old switch measured still ok as well).

I reflashed the board also, with the latest firmware. I have two Ultimaker 2's So I could exchange the motherboard to see if that is the problem. But it is a lot of work. Thanks for the advice

I would check the contact first. I have not had the problem myself and read this for the first time. Vl. comes here still one with a better idea around the corner.

I did some more experiments. I put the bed to the top position, and in the menu activated the lower buildplate function. With a screw driver (on the bottom side) I activated the z-switch.

After some funny noise from the z-motor, it stop and gave the error again.
    So my conclusion is that the switch is ok, and reaches the software, and stops the motor.
    But it could still be a problem in the z-motor, or in the stepper driver on the motherboard. The grinding noise is also strange. Any idea's before I swap the motherboard?

I swapped out my motherboard with my second Ultimaker 2+. And it showed the same behavior. So the driver on the motherboard is broken. Need to buy a new one.

Mmm, where can I buy a new motherboard?

Theoretically you can reconnect the motor driver.

If you have an additional or unused motor output stage on the board.

In the mapping of the software config.h you can turn that. Here in the forum you can search for it. If it is possible with your board.

I have not had to do that yet. But I think the user for example aka @tinkergnome knows more.

I also don't know where you can get a board. Is a question of country and the next official support.

• Like 1

Yep, there is an extra motor driver on the UM2(+) pcb for a second extruder that was never used (E2). When you are willing to make some software changes and compile a new firmware version, then you could assign this spare motor driver to the Z-axis. It's a bit of work, but do-able and you'll learn a lot and save some money.

The firmware can be found here
    In the file pins.h at line #1010 you have to modify 3 lines:

#define Z_STEP_PIN 37
    #define Z_DIR_PIN 39
    #define Z_MIN_PIN 30
    #define Z_MAX_PIN 32
    #define Z_ENABLE_PIN 35

into

#define Z_STEP_PIN 49
    #define Z_DIR_PIN 47
    #define Z_MIN_PIN 30
    #define Z_MAX_PIN 32
    #define Z_ENABLE_PIN 48

Then compile the code as indicated on the given website and deploy to your printer from either the Arduino environment or from Cura.

Other options:

1. In your profile I see you are from The Netherlands. The Ultimaker Mainboard has part number #1546 and can be ordered here, not cheap though at €295 ex. vat.
    2. On AliExpress they sell complete UM2 electronics sets for €180, but I can't say anything on quality.
    3. Ask for someone with good soldering skills to swap the broken stepper driver chip with the chip from the unused second extruder. It should be someone with experience in repairing smd components, preferably using an infrared rework station.

• Like 1