Replaced main board of my Ultimaker 2+, but it does not boot?

Massassi

Posted · Replaced main board of my Ultimaker 2+, but it does not boot?

I had problems with the Z-direction stepper motor and decided to replace my mainboard. I ordered a original Ultimaker board and swap them. (being very mindfull to connect the cables at the right positions.

When I power up the printer this happens.

It starts with the Ultimaker logo.

Then bed goes up and down, the printhead also moves in the X and Y direction a bit.

There are numbers on the display. and some settings in the a menu when pressing the button.
I cannot flash new software on it, because it states there is nothing connected.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Certainly not what should be going on.

I would try to upload the latest firmware through Cura; connect the printer with the USB cable and use the firmware update function in the printer settings dialog.

There is no setting in the menus for updating software. This software does not look anything like the normal Ultimaker firmware I have seen. So I cannot update it.

Posted (edited) · Replaced main board of my Ultimaker 2+, but it does not boot?

Hi @Massassi,

You have to use Cura and update the printer using a USB cable, the printer will "normally" connect to Cura and then you can do an upload.

Here's two pictures (using latest version of Cura 4.12.1).

Cura_Firmw_Updating.thumb.jpg.d424ea97c47846d94a116519d76acf33.jpg

Here is next menu after pressing "Manage Printers..."

Cura_Firmw_Updating_2.thumb.jpg.fd51314ef513e350d610867c2748c7e9.jpg

Hope this help.

Good luck

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Correction of text.

Yes, I know I have two other Ultimakers 2+ that I have updated. The buttons stay gray, but I here the Comport connecting.

1a.png

Edited by Massassi

Unfortunately "modern" Cura will not let you update the firmware unless Cura connects to the printer. That means a functional firmware must already be present.

The old Cura 15.04 will let you upload firmware to a more "bare" board.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

It still does not work, any ideas?

20211214_185210.jpg

Hi @Massassi,

You may try to use Arduino software to upload a HEX file (containing UM2+ firmware), if you know the Arduino "software".

However, I'll think you should as your supplier for a new functional main board with proper UM2 firmware.

Sure, can guide you -but this is something for you to consider as you bought this card from an Ultimaker dealer.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text error.

I have already contacted my supplier, but I do not have a response yet. I might also disconnect all the stepper motors (because they are moving and see if I can get connection to the board then. (it might be to busy doing stuff) Thanks for the help

Aha, just tough about the same idea, you'll only need the two temp sensors connected, the two connectors going to the display / controller and power input.

The menu should come up asking you to start setting up your heat bed, hmm something like that..

Great, will be interesting to see what happen.

edit: And the two safety straps.

Good luck

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    More info.

I disconnected all the stepper motors, but still I get the same message as before. Very strange

There's only one more thing to try and this is using the Arduino -doing a direct upload of a HEX file.

Well, -as far as I can see..

Torgeir

• Like 1

Yes, that seems to be the only option, where can I find the HEX file? do you know?

The firmware .hex files for the Ultimaer Original - Ultimaker 2+ come with Cura. They are in the resources/firmware folder.

• Like 1

Indeed it is. I have used this programmer https://blog.zakkemble.net/avrdudess-a-gui-for-avrdude/

With the following settings.

12.thumb.png.b1345596b0b9ccc0ad860e189ee34744.png

In the beginning it kept giving a comport busy error. But after a few reboots and pressing the program button, it started to the program firmware.

So my take on this.
    I think the board had some factory or very old or wrong software installed on it. That is way the printer behaved so strange. After the update, updating works as normal. Also the printer seems to run as normal (printing the first item now).

Thanks for all the help. I would not have a working printer without it.

Regards,

Jan

• Like 2