Ultimaker s5 stops printing breakaway midway through the print.

Jhawk6553

Posted · Ultimaker s5 stops printing breakaway midway through the print.

Issue is as the title describes. Midway through the print, the support nozzle (printing breakaway support) slows down its flow to a trickle and leaves wisps of filament instead of solid lines. I have multiple AA 0.4 nozzles and have changed them thinking it may be a clog but it does the same thing at around the same layer. I also thought it might be a G-Code issue but i re-sliced the part and its giving me the same issue. Attached is a picture of the prime tower. You'll see that for the first several dozen layers the breakaway is printing perfectly fine. I have tried 4 times and the issue always starts at the same layer.

20211217_135209.jpg

Make sure the fan in the print head door is working (not the two side fans).  It should be on when the cores are above 60C.  Typical symptom of a broken fan is that 10 to 40 minutes into a print the core clogs.

It could be grinding because it's printing too cold or too fast.  Try raising the temp in the TUNE menu by 5C and try slowing the speed down to 80% either in the TUNE menu (which will slow everything) or just in the cura settings for the breakaway (select the tab for the breakaway and cut the speed in half or so - for example if the printing speed is 60mm/sec then try maybe 40mm/sec.  There are about 7 printing speeds for each core so make sure you get them all.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker s5 stops printing breakaway midway through the print.
    46 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Make sure the fan in the print head door is working (not the two side fans).  It should be on when the cores are above 60C.  Typical symptom of a broken fan is that 10 to 40 minutes into a print the core clogs.

It could be grinding because it's printing too cold or too fast.  Try raising the temp in the TUNE menu by 5C and try slowing the speed down to 80% either in the TUNE menu (which will slow everything) or just in the cura settings for the breakaway (select the tab for the breakaway and cut the speed in half or so - for example if the printing speed is 60mm/sec then try maybe 40mm/sec.  There are about 7 printing speeds for each core so make sure you get them all.

It has been happening 3 hours into the print. Not sure if that helps diagnose the issue. Also I am currently running the part at 20mm/s.

Edited by Jhawk6553

I would check whether the second feeder is still in the center position.

If it is set too high, a cork will form above the hot area in the print head.

This then leads, depending on the tension, also to a blockage.

Many greetings

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker s5 stops printing breakaway midway through the print.
    20 minutes ago, UlrichC-DE said:

I would check whether the second feeder is still in the center position.

If it is set too high, a cork will form above the hot area in the print head.

This then leads, depending on the tension, also to a blockage.

Many greetings

Its set to the center. That hasnt changed. Its weird because I've ran the print 4 times and each time it will print the bottom half inch of the supports normally without this issue. Then after the half inch, it starts under extruding. 

Edited by Jhawk6553

20mm/sec seems crazy slow.  Try the default speed and temperature and ignore my idea about slowing it down.  Maybe the filament over cooks a bit and gets more viscous and the feeder starts grinding up the filament.

I really don't know.  Typically if for example you print ABS too slow it creates an obvious clog and then it takes a while to get it clean again.  I haven't used breakaway filament so I don't know what things it might do.

15 hours ago, gr5 said:

20mm/sec seems crazy slow.  Try the default speed and temperature and ignore my idea about slowing it down.  Maybe the filament over cooks a bit and gets more viscous and the feeder starts grinding up the filament.

I really don't know.  Typically if for example you print ABS too slow it creates an obvious clog and then it takes a while to get it clean again.  I haven't used breakaway filament so I don't know what things it might do.

Hey thank you for the reply. I actually solved the issue. The reason was that I had accidentally changed the temp on core 2 instead of core 1. So it was running PLA temps on the breakaway.

Edited by Jhawk6553
    • Like 1

Thank you for your feedback. This will help in the future to assess what the problem may be.

<inside>If now PPT dies out in development we can finally start to work normally and effectively. 😇

</inside>

Many greetings

Edited by UlrichC-DE
    other edited to