UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

Smithy

Posted · UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

Thanks Viktor, yes would be nice, but would be more complicated to be able to run it from Windows, Mac, Linux and to be honest I have no experience with GUI applications.

But I will take a look into it, maybe it is easier than expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Smithy!

Just came across this topic in my search for a dimmed out skipping cooldown button. What you do here with Ultituner looks to be great stuff in the making,  thanks a lot! 🤩

Reading through the thread I would like to add some feedback that might add to the new features list as you wished for! 😃

My printer is located in a remote warehouse in Sweden, it means there is a constant need to monitor the printer to find out when to clear out buildplates, removing prints, changing printheads, adding new material spools and so on. Depending on the case, this could be done by a none skilled technician, in some cases with easy tasks this is done by my kids and wife...to cut lead times. Using the Ultimaker Digital Factory this is partly working. But error codes, like yesterdays example (printhead nossle diffrence out of tolerance scoope) is a message ONLY showed on the display. Being able to retrieve these error codes from remote, gives me an indication of what type of person I´ll send to the warehouse for the fix. The Digital Factory is VERY sparse in this type of information, a little harsch but WORKING/NOT WORKING , ON/OFF kinda way. 

Is there a way for you to fetch the active error codes and/or the status of the ongoing job like warming buildplate/nossle, loading material, waiting for printhead change? This info in combination with the external webcams used today would be extremely valuable for the resource planning!

Reading this tread, my guess is there are more Ultimakers on remote places, not just mine! 😉

Keep up the good work, all the best from Sweden!

//P

Posted (edited) · UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

This is the output I get on Windows 10 in an administrative command prompt and an older S5:

C:\>ultituner.exe cooldown -p 192.168.1.15
    UltiTuner 0.8.0 - Copyright by Smithy (Christian Schmied)
    Connecting to the printer 192.168.1.15.....done, connected
    --------------------
    Ultimaker
    model: 9051
    version: 6.5.3
    --------------------
    Checking printer/firmware compatibility.....done, but not compatible

Edited by dycus

@dycus The error says that your firmware 6.5.3 is not compatible. But with not compatible it means that the file where the tool adjusts the temperature is different than in the current versions. The compatibility check don't check the version number, it checks the file if the parameter is available or not. So with your old version, we have to find out where the change needs to be done. 

Is there a specific reason why you don't want to upgrade your firmware?

@pschjelderup Thanks for your idea/feature request. I can take a look into it, but I think the only way to find out the problem/error is to check the log file. The log file is available through the printers web gui, so if you have a vpn connection to your network you could check the log from a browser. But maybe I find an easier solution.

15 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@dycus The error says that your firmware 6.5.3 is not compatible. But with not compatible it means that the file where the tool adjusts the temperature is different than in the current versions. The compatibility check don't check the version number, it checks the file if the parameter is available or not. So with your old version, we have to find out where the change needs to be done. 

Is there a specific reason why you don't want to upgrade your firmware?

Gotcha, thanks! I'm happy to upgrade the firmware, I was more just confused since the Github page mentioned that firmware v6.x is fully supported. I'll try it again on 7 later.

10 hours ago, dycus said:

I was more just confused since the Github page mentioned that firmware v6.x is fully supported.

Sorry, my fault, I should adopt the text. In the first versions I checked the firmware version directly, but then I changed it to check the files and content directly. So in your case it could be that adjusting the cooldown is not supported but disabling the active leveling is supported and working.

Hello Smithy! I was browsing the Ultimaker forums and came across your UltiTuner github page. Thank you for making this!

If you are still looking for ideas for upcoming features, it would be extremely helpful to have a way to disable the Material Station's auto retract feature. This is one of those frustrating parts of Ultimaker firmware on the same level as not being able to skip cooldown due to a print core mismatch failure.

Edited by civileng

Thanks for the idea, but I think I can only implement it if someone could tell me which file needs to be modified. I have no material station, so I cannot find it out myself.

7 hours ago, civileng said:

If you are still looking for ideas for upcoming features, it would be extremely helpful to have a way to disable the Material Station's auto retract feature. This is one of those frustrating parts of Ultimaker firmware on the same level as not being able to skip cooldown due to a print core mismatch failure.

i agree. As i have to have my material outside of the material station (due to spool diameter) and feed it in, when it retracts fully out of the bowden tube its just a spaghetti junction that i need to re-wind back to the spool again. Id absolutely love it if it just retracted from the core and stood there ready.

Honestly, the list would be a mile long for potential ideas and "fixes" as this thing is so good and do bad in equal measures!

Dear Smithy, I am sorry for a quite dummy question, already more than 3 years I have a problem with active leveling - I see after the Ultimaker support discussions that I only have one option - is to turn off the active leveling option. My question is how to use it step by step (I dont understand how to use windows terminal - alkways problems)   - let me please ask ask you to send me your recommendations to ok@eim3d.com - if everything will be ok - I will pay 100 USD (I can not solve this problem and this is total disaster with active leveling )

With kind regards,

Oleg

printscreent.jpg

Hi Oleg

no worries, it is really easy, you just have downloaded the wrong package, you downloaded the source code which will not run at all.

Download this package https://github.com/SmithyAT/UltiTuner/releases/download/v0.8.0/ultituner-0.8.0-win-amd64.zip

Extract the ZIP and there is an EXE file and when you start it without any parameter, you get some help text.

To turn off active leveling you just need to type: (replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP address of you printer)

Check the state of leveling:

ultituner.exe leveling -p 1.2.3.4

Turn it off:

ultituner.exe leveling off -p 1.2.3.4

Try it out, I am here to help if you have any further questions.

Hi Smithy,

thank you for detailed explanation. It seems that leveling turned off. As to the sending print job to the printer - should I send print file to the printer on Cura over network? (I have already tried to use USB stick but in this case my printer started active leveling before printing and as always active leveling errors).

With kind regards,

Oleg

leveling off.png

It should make no difference if you print via network or USB stick.

Have you rebooted your printer after the change? If not turn it off and on again.

Hello Smithy,

thank you very much for this helpful tool!

When using clearbed, the printer sends happily an "available again" message. But i have to clear the message "Retry Yes/No" on the printer. At least after a manual print abort. Any ideas?

The printer is a S5, model 9051, version 7.0.3.

Hello @dxp

thanks for reporting this issue. Do you abort the job at the printer or via Digital Factory? Maybe there is a difference.

I will take look at it and hope I can find the a way to reset or answer that message too.

10 hours ago, dxp said:

When using clearbed, the printer sends happily an "available again" message. But i have to clear the message "Retry Yes/No" on the printer. At least after a manual print abort. Any ideas?

Have you tried sending the clearbed command twice in a row? I can't remember if it was this issue, but I know there was one situation where that worked for me, so I kinda just made it standard procedure.

If that solves the problem, I could add it to the command to send it twice.

Will check it on the weekend what happens after an abort.

Yesterday I did a manual abort. Then i had to dismiss the retry message manually.

Today I aborted remotely via Cura and did dismiss the cleanbed message manually (cause there was a mess...)

I watch the behaviour. The best feature so far is the cooldown option! It saves so much time!

• Like 1

Okay, i can confirm:

1. remote abortion via Browser/Management console (i really dislike that word!)
    2. .\ultituner.exe clearbed -p 1.2.3.4. --> dismiss clear print bed message, retry question appears
    3. .\ultituner.exe clearbed -p 1.2.3.4. --> retry question dismissed, printer ready

Right now, a print with old REC ABS is waiting, and it is very difficult to get a sticky print 😐 So there are many occasions with failed prints. Good for debugging/testing!

Thanks for investigation!

Do you think it would be helpful when I change the clearbed command to automatically send it twice?

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thanks for investigation!

Do you think it would be helpful when I change the clearbed command to automatically send it twice?

I would say no. There is the case where one can use clearbed to skip the cooldown, but want to say yes to the retry question. It’s not hard to send the command twice manually. 

You are right, then I leave it as is, so one can choose what he needs.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, rachael7 said:

I would say no.

I second that. Not automatic double sending.

Best feature for me is to skip cooldown and to switch levelling. It saved me 1-3h last week.

• Like 1

Nevermind. Found the answer. 👍

Edited by BBTTCNOLA