Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

Posted · UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

There were many posts about active leveling or the cool-down stage, an essential feature of the printer to have a safe and easy experience.  But for more advanced users or users with special needs for their workflow, there was often the wish to have more flexibility with some configurations.

In several postings, you can find hints on how to disable the active leveling or shorten the cool-down stage at the end of a print job. All these workarounds need some Linux skills and how to work with (my beloved) vi editor. Not an easy task for someone who never logged in to a Linux machine.

That's the point where UltiTuner kicks in. It is a small helper tool to make it easy for everyone to tweak the printer configuration.

But first of all, some side notes and a big disclaimer:
I don't work for Ultimaker. I wrote this tool for my personal use, but then I thought, why not make it public that everyone can profit from it.

The software was created and tested with the utmost care. But if something goes wrong, neither Ultimaker nor I am responsible if the printer no longer works as usual or breaks.
**USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY**

So what can you do with that tool?

• Enable/Disable the active leveling
  • Change the safeToTouch temperature, which is used for the cool-down stage. A much higher value shortens the stage to whatever you want.
  • Clear the print bed message or awaiting cleanup after aborting
  • Restart or reboot the printer
  • Permanently enable the SSH daemon regardless of the developer mode

You can use this tool with the S3 and the S5. The older UM3 is currently not supported. Some things don't make much sense with the UM3, because you can disable the active leveling there from the menu.

If you are interested, you can find the latest release on GitHub https://github.com/SmithyAT/UltiTuner with more information and how to use it.

What is planned?
Clear the printer state after aborting a print job in an early stage (pre print phase) so that you can send another job without the need to go to the printer and confirm the message on display.  -> Done

I am also open for other ideas 🙂 

Thanks to @gr5 for helping with the beta testing.

• Like 5

New version v.0.7.0

New feature:

Clear Abort, Awaiting Clean-Up

When you abort a print job in an early stage, so during the heat-up phase, before the print actually starts, the printer is asking you after the abort if you want to retry the job or not. In the DigitalFactory you see a message like "Aborted, Awaiting Clean-Up". You cannot start another print job until someone presses the button on the printer's display.

With the new clearabort command, you can clear the message on the printer's display, and the printer is ready again to accept new print jobs.

Notice that it is not working when the printer has already started to print.

You can download the latest version here : https://github.com/SmithyAT/UltiTuner/releases/latest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

When you abort a print job in an early stage

How about when you remove a print, but forget to touch the screen to confirm that the print is removed. Happens to me all the time.

It is also possible to ack that as well. Was not sure if it makes sense, but yes, as you said, when someone forgot then it is useful.

I am just not sure if I should implement an extra command or put everything under one. Maybe it is hard for someone to decide which is the correct one. So when I fire both, one will result in an error, but the other one will be ok - and for the user it is easier. What do you think?

Can't you just collect both error messages and if one is successful and the other is not then say it was successful.  If both messages give an error then you can say the command was not successful.

Yes, of course, that's what I meant earlier. I think I didn't express myself well.

Nice job @Smithy.  For other people out there: I tested the linux version on my S5 (version 5.7.2) and it worked well.  I have done a few prints and both features (disabling active leveling and not waiting for cooldown) work and have saved me time already.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

How about when you remove a print, but forget to touch the screen to confirm that the print is removed. Happens to me all the time.

Your wish is my command 🙂 

Check out the brand new UltiTuner v0.8.0 with a new command "clearbed" which handles now both situations.

The "clearabort" command from v0.7.0 is not needed anymore and removed again.

• Like 3