New Versions of Cura-Plugins 'TweakAtZ' and 'RetractWhileCombing'

Dim3nsioneer

Posted · New Versions of Cura-Plugins 'TweakAtZ' and 'RetractWhileCombing'

Hi together

There are new versions of two Cura plugins.

I guess I don't have to introduce the 'Tweak At Z' plugin, it is well-known. Version 3.1-test brings the following modifications:

- It is now possible to tweak the fan speed too

- It is now possible to select the tweak height alternatively by layer number instead of height in mm.

- The plugin recognizes UltiGCode. In this case the plugin does not reset tweaked values when a second object is started during the same print job.

- It should be a bit faster than the previous version.

The download link can be found on the http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_TweaktAtZ.

I would be happy to receive some feedback from those who use the test version. In a positive case I can remove the test label soon and update the Wiki page.

The second new version is for the plugin 'Combine While Retracting'. Maybe some of you have not yet heard of that plugin. It is about preventing combing on horizontal top layers which results in nasty lines on the finished print. A first test version has been published in http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3763-improving-surface-finish/ which was the origin of that plugin. A description of the plugin can be found in the http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_RetractWhileCombing. You will also find the download link there.

Please note: the version labelling follows the same logic as the version labelling for Cura, but it will not necessarily be updated when a new Cura version is out (unless there is a reason to update it).

Issues and suggestions for future development are welcome either https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/issues or in this thread.

Enjoy the new versions!

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

RetractWhileCombing is a great plugin.

Could you add a second layer set as well. Combing causes lines on the bottom surface as well that I would like to avoid.

Thanks for your feedback. The easiest way to achieve this is to load the plugin twice, once for the bottom layer and once for the top layer (each with the individual settings). Please let me know if this slows Cura down too much on your computer.

As nobody has complained about TweakAtZ 3.1-test, it seems it can be released. If anyone had any issues so far, please report them now. I would also appreciate some positive feedbacks... ;)

Hi Dim3nsioneer

It stopped working for me.

First the old plugin on 14.01

So I tried it on fresh version of Cura 14.02-TEST1

Then I updated to TweakAtZ 3.1-test

but no G-Code appears

in this case no M140 lines show up

had been trying previously and with this version at 0.36mm high and much higher. My bottom layer is 0.3mm

It had worked previously for me before and I was changing speed and extruder temp as well at 3 different heights

Other than that I really like it

2014 02 09 215542

Hi owen

Thanks for the feedback. I just tested your values on Cura 14.01, just with a different stl, and it worked. I will try to test it with Cura 14.02-test.

In the meantime, you may do me a favor. Could you please check the 'output.txt' in your Cura installation folder after having used the plugin and having closed Cura? The last line should then say 'Closing down'. If it says something else, an error occured. This would be interesting to know.

14.02-TEST has broken plugin support, so no need to try that.

Thanks guys, I'll wait till it's fixed and test it again or use 14.01

The wiki page of TweakAtZ has been updated with version 3.1.

I see that RetractCombing has capability to change aat layer numbers VS height.

Can you please change tweakatz to layer number VS height ? Its sucks to not be able to make tweaks at layer number. It sucks to much i had to make my own windows application to do just that.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4185-tweak-at-layer-number-windows-application/

If tweakatz would give me layer numbers, i would not have to spend days of coding something that could be added by 1-3 lines of code into existing plugin :(

Too bad i dont speak python :(

Your wish has already come true... ;)

TweakAtZ version 3.1 allows you to select height also by layer no. You're welcome to test it. For documentation and download, please check the http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_TweaktAtZ.

There is a small update (bugfix) for the TweakAtZ plugin. Reset of the flow rate was not working properly. The new version 3.1.1 is available on the Wiki page (see link above).

Finally in the official version...Cura 14.03 now includes the TweakAtZ plugin... :cool:

https://www.ultimaker.com/blogs/news/2014/03/18/cura-14-03

Bugfix update for http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_TweaktAtZ: Hop on retraction and cool head lift do not trigger TweakAtZ changes anymore in V3.1.2.

RetractWhileCombing should be visible now also to users not logged in on the http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Category:CuraPlugin. Thanks to gr5!

As I plan for an update of the TweakAtZ plugin, please let me know if there are any feature requests. Or report a bug you found ages ago... ;) Deadline: July 3rd.

Thanks.

If it's possible to reset the values that are kept in the printer until is shut down to 100% (like speed and flow) at the end of the print it would be great. I already talked to you about this. I don't know if it's easy or not to implement

It's not impossible... ;)

When UltiGCode is used the UM2 takes default values from the material settings for flow, fan speed and filament diameter as well as for the hotend temperature. For the bed temperature the UM2 takes the higher value of both current settings and material settings.

But the speed indeed isn't handled and would stay the same until powered off. It might be reasonable to reset it to 100% at the end of the print. I will do the same for the UM1.

Hi Dim3nsioneer,I don't know if it is possible but you could introduce this feature:

with commas or semicolon, declare an interval of layers where the teak at Z specifications must works.

you can add multiple time tweakAtZ to do this ;)

@Dim: nice :) i had several times a veeeeeeeeeerrry slow first layer due to the speed staying a low values and low values of 20mm/s is very slow

ok DIeder, but if I can do this at once is better I suppose.:)

Hi Dim3nsioneer,I don't know if it is possible but you could introduce this feature:

with commas or semicolon, declare an interval of layers where the teak at Z specifications must works.

As Didier Klein already pointed out, using the plugin twice gives you the desired result.

There are a few reasons against changing the original principle of a threshold to an interval:

- Cura doesn't offer the possibility to have more than one value in an input box. So it would have to be a second input box. But:

- On an UM2 (UltiGCode), the plugin doesn't know what temperature was set before the plugin changed it. That's also the reason why the plugin doesn't reset the values for multiple-object-prints on an UM2. So, to what value should the plugin return after the interval?

But I will keep your input in mind. It would be nice if there would be a command in Ultimaker2Marlin which resets e.g. the temperature to the material defaults. There is a command which resets everything (M501) but - well - it resets everything. :sad:

Thank you for your clarification Dim3nsioneer :)

I use Tweak at Z regularly, and it is excellent - Thanks.

I have only one feature request - make it available in a wrapper that allows one to use it with other slicers as a gcode post-processor program.

As an example, I would love to be able to create gradual fan onset to keep PID values stable with gcode generated by Kisslicer, rather than Cura.

I use Tweak at Z regularly, and it is excellent - Thanks.

I have only one feature request - make it available in a wrapper that allows one to use it with other slicers as a gcode post-processor program.

As an example, I would love to be able to create gradual fan onset to keep PID values stable with gcode generated by Kisslicer, rather than Cura.

There is already a standalone Windows application for tweaking gcode outside Cura, please see http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4185-tweak-at-layer-number-windows-application/; maybe this application will meet your needs?

I would rather keep the TweakAtZ as pure Cura plugin for the time being. However, please feel free to submit a feature request at https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/issues.

:) News! :)

TweakAtZ has been updated to version 3.2! B)

You find the new version on the also updated http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_TweaktAtZ for now. Cura will be updated in a few days with the new plugin version.

New in this version of TweakAtZ:

- bugfix in the parser (allows for negativ coordinates as they occur on delta printers)

- individual extruder flow (using a feature which has recently added to Marlin), i.e. you can set the first extruder at e.g. 110% and the second extruder at e.g. 90% while the overall flow rate is still at 100%

- speed is reset to 100% at the end of a print (your Ultimaker will never again become a snail at the start... -_- )

- on UM Originals a message is displayed when a tweak is performed (sorry to all UM2 users, as soon as Ultimaker2Marlin supports the command M117, you will also see this message... ;) )

Please report bugs and further feature request https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/issues.