Cura 5 simply doesnt open after install (resolved)

lfraga172

Posted (edited) · Cura 5 simply doesnt open after install (resolved)

Hi folks! Someone can help pls? Installed Cura 5.0 some times, but it simply doesnt open... Windows doesnt show any errors or msgs... Any idea what could be?

Tks and brgds

Leo Fraga

Edited by lfraga172

• lfraga172 changed the title to Cura 5 simply doesnt open after install (resolved)
    Posted · Cura 5 simply doesnt open after install (resolved)

It would be really helpful if you could let us know what installation directory you used previously (which did not work) and what you changed it to (so it now works correctly). That way we might be able to fix issues for others who have the same issue you had...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me on Windows 10 Pro 21H2. Cura originally installed in the "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0" and it would not start. I uninstalled and reinstalled to "C:\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0" and it worked perfectly.

Had same problem here.

Tried install in "c:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura" ... ran in task manager but nothing else...

re-installed in "c:/Ultimaker Cura" and its worked..

So i ran into this exact problem and tried installing it to "c:/Ultimaker Cura" instead, that did not work, found out in another forum it is being messed with by my multiple displays, it was trying to open on the right display instead of the middle one(main). I just changed the main display to the one cura was trying to open on(right) and BAM it opened just fine. But once its open make sure to go to settings>general and uncheck "restore window position on start" before changing your main display back to normal position.

I am having the same issue of launching Cura v5.1 and getting the locked up white screen of death!  I tried the above suggestions, for the most part it worked until it came time to "sync" the the white screen of death. I searched for log files and only found 2.

I am running Windows 11 Pro with 64Gb Ram and a Ryzen 9 CPU.

Hi Guys,  I'm having the same problem on my MacBook Pro.  Installed but it will not launch.
    I'm going to remove then reinstall to see if that helps as it looks like this may have assisted others then I'll report back with log files etc.

4 hours ago, mynir said:

Hi Guys,  I'm having the same problem on my MacBook Pro.  Installed but it will not launch.
    I'm going to remove then reinstall to see if that helps as it looks like this may have assisted others then I'll report back with log files etc.

Sorry your having this issue.
    Have you checked the operating system requirements for UltiMaker Cura?
    The release of 5.x series saw a change in OS requirements.
    https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337917781

Glad I ran across this thread!

I just upgraded from Cura 4.8.2 to 5.2.2 and, upon startup, the get started splash would not let me click the button.  From this thread, I uninstalled from C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.2.2 and installed to just C:\UltiMaker Cura 5.2.2.  Success!  I was able to click the get started button on the initial splash!

Windows 10 64 bit as mentioned in the requirements.

Running Windows 10 Home 64bit and none of the suggestions on this thread work for me. 

I'm running 3 monitors. When I disable two, I can open Cura 5.2.2 fine, and this seems to be the only way to open it. However, I can then re-enable my other two monitors after opened it with only one enabled, and move the program to any monitor I want without issue. Maybe this is already known but I haven't read about anyone reporting this scenario so I figured I'd add. 

I am having problems that are similar but mine comes up with a purple box saying this app cant run on your PC.

Now I am using this PC an older laptop with windows 10 on  as my HP pavillion has problem with cura and Open GL 2.0. This is because it has an automatic switchable graphics. Intel and AMD catalyst.

But why wont it run on my other laptop. How do I find the logfiles??  Its an Acer Aspite7730

Edited by ukracer
    more info

The log files are in the user folder under AppData\Roaming.  You can get to it by using the "Help | Show Configuration Folder" command in Cura.

There is a plugin in the MarketPlace for Extensive Support Logging.  It will provide a little more information in the log file.

I installed version 5.6 of Ultimaker Cura, however the program does not start. I've already tried changing the instalation folder. Logs are created when starting Cura (AppData\Roaming\cura folder), but there are several logs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get version 5.6 running?

PC Info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
    RAM: 16.0GB
    System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 22H2 X64

Log.png

Log2.png

Edited by acaciocezar

Check if there is a log file in folder 5.6

Edit: Please don't double post.

Edited by DivingDuck

Hi, I also ran into the issue where Cura would open with a white screen and be stuck on my Windows 11 PC. I had no issues previously. I am using Cura Version 5.5.0

To resolve this issue, I had to edit the cura.cfg located at C:\Users\<username-here>\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.5

and delete the following lines:

window_left = 3530
    window_top = 19
    window_width = 1718
    window_height = 1360

Edited by Burgerpower01
    Fixed formatting and added more details to issue explanation
    • Like 1

8 hours ago, Burgerpower01 said:

To resolve this issue, I had to edit the cura.cfg located at C:\Users\<username-here>\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.5

and delete the following lines:

window_left = 3530
    window_top = 19
    window_width = 1718
    window_height = 1360

Do you run different monitors or change scaling? Those lines indicate that the window would be most of the way over to the right of a 4K monitor with no scaling.

FWIW: Different versions of Windows handle this differently *glares at Windows 11* but if you select a program's item on the taskbar (or its window, if you can see it, the important part is that the window is focused) and press Win+Up to maximise it (and if it's already maximised, it makes it take up the top half of the screen). Also worth noting is that Win+Down will first resize the window so that it's small and the next press will minimise it. So if you have a taskbar icon or can Alt+Tab to it, press Win+Down twice then Win+Up twice it should maximise it on your current monitor. If you have multiple monitors enabled then Win+Shift+Left or Win+Shift+Right move it to the next monitor in that direction.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:46 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Do you run different monitors or change scaling? Those lines indicate that the window would be most of the way over to the right of a 4K monitor with no scaling.

FWIW: Different versions of Windows handle this differently *glares at Windows 11* but if you select a program's item on the taskbar (or its window, if you can see it, the important part is that the window is focused) and press Win+Up to maximise it (and if it's already maximised, it makes it take up the top half of the screen). Also worth noting is that Win+Down will first resize the window so that it's small and the next press will minimise it. So if you have a taskbar icon or can Alt+Tab to it, press Win+Down twice then Win+Up twice it should maximise it on your current monitor. If you have multiple monitors enabled then Win+Shift+Left or Win+Shift+Right move it to the next monitor in that direction.

Thanks for the hint and yes, I am running a two Monitor setup and Cura opened on the right side monitor.
    The Window was visible but completely frozen and unresponsive, similar to what TMan4557 described in a previous post here:

On 8/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, TMan4557 said:

I am having the same issue of launching Cura v5.1 and getting the locked up white screen of death!  I tried the above suggestions, for the most part it worked until it came time to "sync" the the white screen of death. I searched for log files and only found 2.

I am running Windows 11 Pro with 64Gb Ram and a Ryzen 9 CPU.

Not sure how I got there in the first place, but I was able to reproduce this issue with Cura 5.6.0 by adding the window lines back into the config file.

As already mentioned, deleting the window lines in the config resolved this issue and didn't happen again after. It seems that there might be two different issues described by previous users:

1) Cura does not appear to be opened (window not visible)

2) Cura freezes and is stuck with a white screen

8 hours ago, Burgerpower01 said:

As already mentioned, deleting the window lines in the config resolved this issue and didn't happen again after.

It may happen again if you drag Cura to the second monitor and then close it. To prevent that from happening, untick the "Restore window position on start" checkbox in the General preferences inside Cura.

Can I join the list of those who cannot get 5.6 to open.

Nothing happens when I click "Ultimaker Cura.exe"

Uninstalled previous versions

Changed installation folder

Seems like files are there

Can't find any log files.

Any ideas?

Steve

10 hours ago, antigravitypaddy said:

Can I join the list of those who cannot get 5.6 to open.

Nothing happens when I click "Ultimaker Cura.exe"

Uninstalled previous versions

Changed installation folder

Seems like files are there

Can't find any log files.

Any ideas?

Steve

Try deleting the configuration folder for 5.6 if it created one. In Windows it's in %APPDATA%\cura\

Thanks for that, Slashee.

I deleted the config files in appdata. There were a bunch of old ones going back to V3.8 so I cleared them all out. I still cannot access 5.6. There is no shortcut on the desktop and nothing happens when I try the start menu.

However the version of cura that came with my recent Elegoo Neptune, which is V4.8, still runs though I just deleted the custom profiles when clearing out the config folders. 

I'm on Win 10 and I want to use V5.6 as my latest project of print 3d model planes comes with custom profiles that can't be imported into V4.8 for whatever reason, hence the need for the new version. I currently have the Elegoo version installed but I have tried to get rid of all the old ones.

Steve

10 minutes ago, antigravitypaddy said:

I deleted the config files in appdata. There were a bunch of old ones going back to V3.8 so I cleared them all out. I still cannot access 5.6.

Woah, I just said to remove 5.6. I didn't want you to lose all your settings. Although it does make for a more thorough test, I guess.

Try uninstalling Cura using an uninstaller tool that can look for leftovers. I like Bulk Crap Uninstaller (free, open source), which as well as living up to its name (essential whenever I get a new laptop) you can just uninstall single programs and it will look for leftover files or registry entries (which you then choose which ones to delete). Different Cura versions tend to be self-contained (their own install and config folders) so it might pick up a bunch of stuff from earlier versions, you can try to pick and choose the ones related to 5.6 or just nuke everything if you want. Then after it's finished uninstalling and cleaning up leftovers, reboot (n.b. these days in Windows by default that actually isn't the same thing as shutting down your computer and turning it on again, has to be a reboot) and try installing 5.6 again.

Thanks. Don't worry about the old settings, I figured that they would go but they were mainly for an old printer I don't have anymore so I wasn't bothered.

I followed your instructions to the letter but unfortunately still the same. No sign of it starting up.

Steve