Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
skint

First Print ... Straight out of the box ?

Hi Lads, (Where are all the lady printers :???: )

So, veteran users....I am about to unbox the u2 beast either tonight or tomorrow. Having never touched a 3D printer before I am a little nervous. Reading some threads on this forum can make one even more nervous :shock:

But... now that you are more experienced and wise, & knowing what you know now, but didn't "back then"... What Tips & Tricks would you offer us Noob users to get a successful print straight out of the box ?

photo

Thanks

Wayne

You have to get levelling right so don't expect first print to be perfect. It's a trial and error thing. Don't think of it as "I want the first print perfect". Think of it as, "the first print will tell me what to adjust to make the next print better".

Thanks for the bed temp tip ! Ive not even looked at settings anywhere yet, but I did level the bed three times before going into the first print.

10 minutes for mr robot to finish. Looks OK. Bit of underhanging, one slightly lifted corner. I need to buy silver..blue doesnt suit him :p

http://imageshack.com/a/img24/1377/uuc5.jpg

Two on the side and one "inside" the print head, towards the back. It should turn on and keep being on as soon as you flip the power switch. I'm assuming gr5 only mentioned it because there have been quite a few cases where the connectors for the fans have become disconnected in shipping (either slipping apart or one of the pins inside the connector not being held in properly) or connected incorrectly.

Thanks IRobertI

Yes I found the third one eventually... its working nicely. I`ve gone back to bed levelling ( I think I had it slightly too close ) and printing the Tesla? print, still getting lifting corners. The bed temp suggested by gr5 I will test next.

Is it normal behaviour to sit waiting. staring at the printer without blinking.... like an excited child waiting for Santa and staring at the chimney lol

Personally I like 60C, brim and if needed glue stick (depends on the plastic and type of print). Smear it on lightly and then use a wet/damp cloth to dissolve and spread it out. As the bed heats up the water evaporates and you're left with a thin film of glue that you can barely see.

Yes, it's normal, and no, I wont tell you how many hours I've done that ;)

Lol IRobertI...I dread to think how many hours you have ! I'm already upto 3 haha.

Have printed 3 objects now ( all of which came on the supplied SD card ). Each print, with a bit of tinkering has came out slightly better than the last.

Alas, it's time I went to sleep. Looking forward to a few hours of play time tomorrow....oh and I gotta start learning cura ;/

Over & Out

Thats what I love to hear... another clevery young mans life..... RUINED... by the brilliance of an ultimaker2...

Kiss your romantic relationships good bye baby !!!!

Sweety... im wearing that sexy number you got me for Christmas... what ya think ????

Did I not say I need 5!!!! minutes......... Cura temp settings... yes... tick.......

Ian ;-) HEHEHE LOL

Haha, Ian... it seems no matter what us "blokes" get upto there`s never enough time for the romantic lady. Play on the xbox = Do the washing up!! Play golf = Where have you been for 6 hours ??

Now its going to be " Lets go out for dinner darling ".. NO, I`m waiting for the printer to finish... only 4 hours left !! LOL

And gr5, the calming fire and a glass of red sounds right up my street lol.