Ultimaker Cura 5.2 Released in Beta

MariMakes

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.2 Released in Beta

We have a new version of Ultimaker Cura in Beta: Ultimaker Cura 5.2.
You can download it here

This time we’ve focused on improving teamwork. If you have a fleet of multiple Ultimaker printers, or a classroom full of students trying to work with your Ultimaker printers. We have something for you. This release offers the most cooperative friendly workflow yet.

Additionally, we introduced three new settings you can tune to improve the flow of your initial layer which will allow you to improve your adhesion and potentially reduce elephant’s foot.

We have also made it much easier to build and run Ultimaker Cura from source. Improving the way that Ultimaker Cura is built, and the associated documentation, enables open-source contributors to more easily help us improve Ultimaker Cura.

Choose a printer after slicing with abstract printer types. 

We introduced a new flow for connected Ultimaker 3D printers. If you have multiple Ultimaker 3D printers in your workshop, your printers are now automatically bundled by printer type. You can select this abstract printer type when you start slicing your part. If you prefer to sticking to the old workflow that you are used to, this is still available to you. You can now see the loaded materials and print cores of all printers available to you via the Ultimaker Digital Factory without selecting each individual printer. When you’ve finished finding the right print settings for your part, you are shown the printers that can print that part for you. You can change your mind or even print the same print job on multiple printers without any cumbersome switching.

1437826519_Untitleddesign(11).thumb.png.1e1845cb96810fc4ac4a21530446d4d2.png

Role approval for users with Education roles in Ultimaker Digital Factory

Organizations with not only multiple printers but also many users also have something to look forward to in Ultimaker Cura 5.2. When you have an Ultimaker Professional, Excellence, or Education subscription, you can assign ‘Guest’ roles. Colleagues or students in a ‘Guest’ role can prepare print jobs in Ultimaker Cura and send them to the printers via the Ultimaker Digital Factory. Print jobs prepared like this will not start immediately but will require approval from a user with the 'Member' or 'Admin' roles.

Print job approval is meant for those Ultimaker Digital Factory organizations that have a lot of users sending in prints and where there needs to be some level of control over what is printed. Ultimaker Digital Factory will allow you to leave notes regarding the print job and the approver can examine the print job of a guest before approving. Guests only have the rights to interact with their own print jobs and can’t interfere with other printers or print jobs. Learn more about the available roles in an organization here.

1155351486_Untitleddesign(12).thumb.png.5127cfb89954d458dbce8749325e4e0a.png

More control over initial layer flow

When a brim is not an option for your model, or you have a flexible build plate that removes the need for a brim, we’ve introduced three new settings that will help you tune your initial layer. When tuned correctly, these settings can be used to help improve your adhesion and decrease elephant’s foot. The ideal values may differ per 3D printer. The three new settings are:

-          Initial Layer Outer Wall Flow

-          Initial Layer Inner Wall Flow

-          Initial Layer Bottom Layer Flow

1315126007_Untitleddesign(13).thumb.png.84e4033bf8d42bcbe2944c2cdda9a8cf.png

Additional improvements 

The following improvements have also been implemented in the Ultimaker Cura 5.2 beta:

·         Building from source is now more accessible. If you want to contribute, it’s easier than ever to get started. Read more about it here.

·         Fixed a bug so that the random Z-Seam setting is now more random

·         Fixed a bug where tree support had infill by default where it was supposed to be hollow

·         Fixed a bug where Windows users saw pointless notifications when they left Ultimaker Cura running in the background

Give us your feedback

Please try the new features mentioned and let us know your feedback in a comment below.
You can find the complete list with features, fixes and contributions here:
https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/5.2.0-beta

Happy Printing 😃

• Like 1

Strange, in vase mode we don't have anymore the concentric pattern as we have in 5.0 and 5.1 but we still have 4 or 5 walls ( event if the number of wall is set to 1 ) Except for the initial layer ???

image.thumb.png.baa57fa0c6ad42ed149b7be5bbf0810c.png

Initial Layer 

image.thumb.png.de3da8d0256f78ab5868e764df72c088.png

Bug or Feature ?

I have the same question - Bug or Feature? - but about something else: about monotonic order algorithm...

If until 5.1.1 the moves are in very clear order, in 5.2, the nozzle makes a lot, and I mean a lot, of travel moves.

Of course, this give me longer print times.

Are there any other extra settings now, related to monotonic order of the moves?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.2 Released in Beta

I see, thanks for testing. These are exactly the type of issues why I have to create a new version of the plugin for each release of Cura.

Probably best to log issues like this at https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-SidebarGUIPlugin/issues

edit: fixed the issue here:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-SidebarGUIPlugin/commit/48bad5e98812757ba47b6bec877912ed265a3feb

Edited by ahoeben

Hey @qwerty8224,

Do you have a project file for us that illustrates your problem?
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.
    If you have a clear example I can bring it up to the team.

Thank you 👼

13 minutes ago, MariMakes said:

Привет@qwerty8224,

У вас есть файл проекта для нас, который иллюстрирует вашу проблему?
    Чтобы сохранить файл проекта, перейдите в Файл -> Сохранить проект.
    Если у вас есть наглядный пример, я могу донести его до команды.

Спасибо 👼

222UMS3_3x4.3mf

Thanks @qwerty8224, I'll take a look.

@Cuq about the spiralize behavior. We restored the behavior from Cura 4.13. We received a lot of requests to bring the old behavior back, so what you are seeing is intended. 

• Like 1

Hello @MariMakes,

Yes you are right, It's the same behaviour. Sorry for the confusion.

@Cuq No worries, we are happy with any feedback. 
    I had to doublecheck it myself aswell!

Spiralize behavior in 4.13 - 5.1 - 5.2 Beta
    image.gif.34d1cc4ae488fdccc841f17330d25ee3.gif

• Like 1

Would like to test and give feedback but the linux appimage doesn't slice. There are already a couple of bug reports on the cura git and it also seems to affect MacOS users. So no non-windows specific feedback this version I guess? All I can say is that the latest version of the sidebarGUI-plugin is working fine as always. Thx for that again.

@qwerty8224 we found what caused the issue with the monotonic top ordering and intent to fix it for the 5.2 stable release. Right now it will introduce a lot of unnessecary stringing. Thanks for reporting so quickly 🎉

ezgif-3-3ceaae7b66.gif.1e648fb668ed269eb82568f16cad21f5.gif

• Like 2

Hey @ungutknut,

We are aware of the Linux Beta builds not working. 😥
    It seems to be because some libraries are not included.
    @Piezoid did some excellent investigation work here. 

We have our developers working on a fix, you can follow their progress here:  https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/13422

I am getting""object of type settingfuction not json serializable" when trying to send stl to printer via octoprint

• Thanks 1

Octoprint is a plugin from a contributor.   You can make a bug report or ask him for guidance on his GitHub Page.

2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Octoprint is a plugin from a contributor.

It is, but in this case the bug is in Cura, not in my plugin. The problem is with the creation of UFP files, which the OctoPrint Connection plugin uses when the OctoPrint instance supports that format for displaying thumbnails. Fortunately it has been fixed in time for the stable release of Cura 5.2:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/13473

• Like 1

Update for the Linux users encountering slicing troubles. 
    There are new builds with a fix available here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/5.2.0-beta
    Thanks for reporting 💪 and happy slicing 😄

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the bug regarding the support interface layers still seems to exist. 
    There are still several places where the outermost layer is sporadically not supported. 

the strange thing is, i haven't seen another thread about this yet. you would think that this problem regarding support generation with a dual extruder printer would be reported more often...

I have taken more pictures of this. 
    I will also attach them to the github thread I created for this. 

Bad generated support structure · Issue #12839 · Ultimaker/Cura · GitHub

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

@Gero could you put up a project file of that?  I can't reproduce it just playing around here.

@GregValiant of course! the print settings for the object can be generic or customised here, the problem with the support interface layers exists regardless of any settings. 

ArmV7.3mf

You're going to love this one.

I can duplicate this with your printer active, and with my virtual Dual Extruder Ender 3.

Here is the image with my printer.

image.thumb.png.c8b84563a089d19450a8250d828ae599.png

This is with your printer and is a view I'm sure you are sick of.

image.thumb.png.cb5b6318946c94c688e88a8e0da2d464.png

And here it is all fixed.

image.thumb.png.1ac864e4d5a4b1db919d9d268093b96b.png

I was going to make you look for what I did but I'll be merciful and tell you.   I changed the Initial Layer Height to .28.  I'll go and leave a note on your bug report on Github.