Internal Geometry appearing on top and bottom layers

Taco_Bob

Posted · Internal Geometry appearing on top and bottom layers

Hello, I'm creating checker pieces with embedded magnets using the pause at height extension.  The internal cavity's geometry is affecting how the bottom layer and the first layer above the cavity is printed such that the layer above the cavity will print on nothing in the gap above the magnet.  See picts.  

Model x-ray:

x-ray.png.4888d727e871854af77e2c210f2ff122.png

Bottom Layer:

802121479_layer1.png.c2e97845ef8e3c015977f20412b2c9b1.png

Second layer:

2024666112_Layer2.png.2a80fcb6986babdc1ebdc871855f208c.png

First layer above cavity, might drop into it:

1370278520_disconnectedtop.png.29444954d6d86df09764ce6bf2695523.png

In Cura 4.2.1, I somehow changed settings so that this would not happen, but I can't find that setting. 

Same model, 1st layer above cavity in 4.2.1:

image.png.38a82cd7bd9d537ba25a197bf38aa82f.png

I'd just use 4.2.1 but the pause at height feature doesn't work for me, 5.1.0 is better.  I see that some of the settings in 5.1.0 are labeled differently.  

Does anyone know how to get the top/bottom layers to not be affected by internal geometry?  As is, the first layer above the cavity won't be connected to the cavity wall.

Thanks for any help!

Checker 25.obj

Hey @Taco_Bob,

I recognize this issue. We have a known bug with Union Overlapping Volumes in Cura 5.0 and 5.1
    But if I try with Cura 4.13 I get this printjob without any changes:

image.thumb.png.0adcfac8e9ab4b05da348ea26a8c4fd5.png

Can you try Cura 4.13.1 for me? 
    You can get it here:
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases

In 4.X you might have to make sure that remove empty first layers is unchecked.  In 5.X they hid that setting so you are screwed.  I assume because the hollow for the magnet is too close to the bottom of the print.

Thank you all.  Now I know what to call it thanks to MariMakes.  As it turns out, the version of Cura on my Raspberry pie has the pause at height features of 5.1 and doesn't have the union overlapping problem.  It's 4.(something) so that works, might be 4.13 actually.  It actually slices faster and better than the versions on my Win10 machine where I'm having these issues, go figure.  Its probably faster because Microsoft is so clodgey.

Thanks!