UM3 hotels plastic spring retainer replacement

Penrock1547
Go to solution Solved by Penrock1547,

Posted · UM3 hotels plastic spring retainer replacement

I had a few of my UM3 hot ends pop the plastic retainer piece that retains the spring. Is there somewhere I can get a spare plastic spring retainer? The plastic part is broken and needs to be replaced. This is just the plastic part on top of the hot end. I could probably glue it back but I’d rather just get another and replace it. 
Thanks!

22CA6141-87DB-4783-9FCD-0BB0FD76303B.jpeg

F18B1B39-CBE6-4C0F-A0B1-BD71035339E2.jpeg

These are not available as spare parts from Ultimaker I'm afraid. If you ask your local reseller nicely they may have a broken printcore lying around that they could steal that part from for you though.

The part is available in the GitHub repository of the Ultimaker 3, I’m on mobile currently so I can’t easily look for it. But you can download it and print it out of PC or CPE+ or something. 

I believe you can find it here.
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker3

But please be careful with your material choice like @glx said.
    You want it to withstand high temperatures because if it melt to your printer you have a ruined printhead. 
    It might be worth asking for a scap part like @IRobertI suggested. 

Thanks all, I appreciate that. Many thanks. That’s stinks, I was afraid there might not be a replacement. I have 8 extruders all from the same ultimaker reseller. These are the only two that have done this. I’ll check out the STL, but yes it makes me nervous using a printed part given the proximity to the hot end. I might get some CP and try it. I might glue a washer to the underside of the plastic part so the hex bolt has something to grab. Might be possible to print a small recessed cylinder and glue that to the plastic retainer as that is what appears to have broken away from the main plastic retainer. Essentially I just need to attach something to the retainer so the hex bolt can hold it in place. 

4D7E1627-837A-43BC-8136-ABE921311083.jpeg

78821E8A-BA15-48B2-9874-6487A1A13D56.jpeg

• Solution

Well here they are, printed out of TPLA. Turned out pretty good. Haven’t printed with them yet, but did check the temp with a heat gun near that area while the printer was running and it never got above about 70-80F so I think the TPLA will be fine. They fit nicely too, popped right in. I’ve got some PC coming for Christmas so I may do a few out of that too. Thanks again for the STL! Cheers!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2