Computer connection issues with printer when on the same network.

ph20
Go to solution Solved by arj3090,

Posted (edited) · Computer connection issues with printer when on the same network.

I have my computer connected by Ethernet cable to the apartment wifi.

I have the printer connected by Ethernet cable as well to the same apartment. (In different rooms if it matters)

With this configuration, I get the "Print via cloud" option on Ultimaker Cura, which means it is connected and good.

However, when i go to my computer or phone browser and type in "http://153.33.XXX.XX:8080/?action=stream"(replace the x's with the correct numbers in my ip address) it doesn't show a camera preview, but it does show a preview when i use a VPN or cellular data.

Is it possible to see the camera preview when on the same wifi network?

Edited by ph20

• Solution
    Posted · Computer connection issues with printer when on the same network.

I have my laptop on the same local network as the printer and I get the "Print via Cloud" quite often, especially if I cycle power on the printer. This is the fastest way I found to get "Print over network" to show back up for a direct local connection to the printer:

- In Cura, go to the upper left where you see the printer drop down

- Drop down the printer list and select Manage Printers

- Then click Connect via Network

- Click on the printer in the list (You may have to click Refresh)

- Click the Connect button

I tried the stream from a web browser and it works for me.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:29 PM, ph20 said:

Is it possible to see the camera preview when on the same wifi network?

Yes, but you will have to use the local IP address of your printer, instead of the VPN IP address of the printer.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, ahoeben said:

Yes, but you will have to use the local IP address of your printer, instead of the VPN IP address of the printer.

arj's solution worked using wifi, but the problem I have is that I need to be connected to a vpn to use solidworks. But when I'm not connected to the vpn and just want to check the camera preview, I'm unable to do so.

So still having issues with this, overall it's not a huge issue, but I still haven't figured out how to connect to the preview using the cloud or in a similar situation.

Below is a chart from what I have found. Let me know if you have any ideas

100361286_imagechart.thumb.png.8fcf36bc06f7f7bba886fffbb80498b5.png

VPN software will let you configure it so that regions of ip addresses don't go over the vpn.  So configure the 10.191.X.X address space as never using the vpn (hopefully you don't have any 10.191.X.X devices at work on the vpn). If 10.191.X.X is already needed you can narrow it down to the individual ip address of the printer.

Or if you can't figure out how to configure your VPN software - well consider using a different VPN software.  But alternatively you can launch putty which you can setup to do port forwarding so you can forward a port on your computer to a different port on the printer and then you can connect to your own computer (hosted by putty) to access the camera.

By the way this is needed for 2D printers as well.  When I'm on the vpn I can't print to my 2d printer at home unless I configure the vpn.  So this is a very very common issue and so most (all?) vpn software should let you do this.  So you can google about how to do this with "normal" printers for your particular vpn software.