Here it is. The new UltiMaker S7

MariMakes

Posted · Here it is. The new UltiMaker S7

Today we are thrilled to launch our latest S-series printer. 
The UltiMaker S7 is built on the success of the UltiMaker S5 and its design decisions were heavily based on feedback from customers.

So what’s new?
The obvious change is the S7’s height. It now includes an integrated Air Manager. This filters the exhaust air of every print and also improves build temperature stability. To further enclose the build chamber the S7 only has one magnetically latched door.

The build stack has also been completely redesigned. A PEI-coated flexible steel build plate makes a big difference to productivity. Not only do you not need tools to pop a printed part off. But we also don’t recommend using glue or adhesion structures for UltiMaker materials (except PC, because...it’s PC). Along with that, 4 pins and 25 magnets make it easy to replace the flex plate perfectly – even with one hand.

The re-engineered print head has an inductive sensor which reduces noise when probing the build plate. This effectively makes it much harder to not achieve a perfect first layer, improving overall print success. We also reversed the front fan direction (fewer plastic hairs, less maintenance), made the print core door magnets stronger, and add a sensor that helps avoid flooding.

ultimaker-s7-pro-bundle-features-highlight.thumb.jpg.39f344df2377c41b181524915cc2bb97.jpg

The UltiMaker S7 also includes quality of life improvements:

• Reliable bed tilt compensation (no more thumbscrews)
  • 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
  • A 1080p camera (mounted higher for a better view)
  • Compatibility with 280+ Marketplace materials
  • Compatibility with S5 project files (no reslicing needed)
  • And a whole lot more

Curious to see the S7 in action?
We’re hosting a free tech demo on February 7.
It will be live and you can ask any questions to our CTO, Miguel Calvo.

Register here for the Webinar

1708318057_S7WebinarCuraplacement.thumb.png.66dbb5d7db13fa02dca2b3accad8398f.png

• Like 6

• MariMakes unlocked, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • MariMakes featured this topic
Posted (edited) · Here it is. The new UltiMaker S7

So much empty space only for the air filtering system, it looks like you did not re-design anything from the s5 Air Manager, just enclosed it... It would really have deserved some attention to the orientation optimization or, even better, a fair use of the vertical emptyness to get bigger parts.

Well, as it looks, it's a very very minor update to the S5 and none of the design flaw are fixed, since it's a copy paste. That would be okay if it would not mean that an hypothetical S9 with actual use of the community feedback to get something on par with the other brand competution, will be years away.

Yeah, very skeptical, it's a S5 mk2 designed to replace the S5, not a new model, by any means.

When will you really take nto account the numerous feedback that had been provided theses past years ? From customers, from intermediate suppliers, etc ? There is a LOT, even going on this very forum, always dealing with the same issues that are big design flaw / performances, especially when according to the tremendous price.

Edit : sorry for the tone of this message, but I find it very deceiving to not see UltiMaker, such a big brand, going in the best direction... It's everywhere in so much small or big company, it deserves more work, more evolution, more feedback appreciation and some communication fairness.

Edited by Dadkitess
  • Like 2

I'm looking formward for the demo. Having a first generation S5 at work (no air manager) that could be a nice upgrade but nothing compare to my personal Carbon X1C from Bambu lab... I would have expect more drastic changes from UM.

• Like 1

I've been lucky to have had a chance to print with the UltiMaker S7 a little. 
And wanted to share that from personal experience, I see that community feedback has been incorporated in this new printer. 

1. With an Anti-Flood sensor in the head, we should no longer see any posts regarding flooded printheads on this printer
2. With this new bed leveling sensor I really expect to see much less reports of bed leveling sensors. It's a big improvement. 
3. With the new flexible buildplate and improved leveling, for me printjobs seem to stick just the right amount. Strong enough to stick, but weak enough that it's easy and quick to remove from the buildplate. 
4. With an improved camera and camera angle, it's so much easier to check how your printer is doing online. 
5. Pausing the print queue and observing the queue from the printer is a request I see on a regular basis. 
6. The direction of the front fan has changed so strings don't get tangled in the printhead reducing the questions about cleaning the printhead. 

And that's just based on first impressions. If there are certain changes you are missing, you are welcome to share them with me in a personal message, and I can forward them to the team. 

• Like 1

This is really reaaaaally mk2-ish, can we agree about that ? 😛

Anyway, that's a good thing a new printer comes to fix theses flaws, at least !

I've already shared a BIG feedback through the UltiMaker Twitter Community Manager that said me he/she would transfer it but I'm not too confident that it went anywhere, to be frank.

Mari, can I forward you this feedback in PM then ? 

UltiMaker should have called it what it is "S5+" because that's what it is and nothing more - and to call it "S5+" would have been totally OK. But calling it S7 seems like a bad joke and disappoints users/customers like us. So far we have been using 100 % UltiMaker machines in our print farm but for upcoming investments we really need to rethink if Ultimaker is still the right choice.

• Like 2

Well spotted. I'm guessing they shot the video with a pre-production model, which has a panel that predates the new logo. No logo on the side-panels though. I might start a side-business selling Ultibot stickers to put on there.

• Laugh 3

Hey all,

I had to ask around for the questions regarding the upgrade possibilities. 
    Here are the official answers:

Are the parts interchangeable between the UltiMaker S7 and the UltiMaker S5?
    Some parts are the same as in other S-line products, such as the feeders, electronics, and Air
    Manager filter. The Ultimaker S7 also contains unique new features, which are not
    interchangeable with the Ultimaker S5, such as the build plate and print head. 

Can the Ultimaker S7 flexible build plate also be used on the Ultimaker S5?
    No, the flexible build plate is not compatible with the Ultimaker S5. Besides the flexible build
    plate, there are more differences between the Z stages of the Ultimaker S5 and Ultimaker S7.

Is the Ultimaker S7 print head compatible with the Ultimaker S3 and Ultimaker S5?
    No. The UltiMaker S7 is not compatible with the Ultimaker S3 and Ultimaker S5. The firmware
    supporting it is different.

On the other hand, we made sure you don't have to reslice files in UltiMaker Cura or Digital Factory if you have a trusted or even verified printjob, you can use them in a mixed fleet of printers. Which was a big remark about the workflow when people upgraded to the UltiMaker S3. 

I hope you understand. We offer a lot of things like Cura and this forum for free, but we need to pay our bills by selling 3D printers. 🙂

Posted (edited) · Here it is. The new UltiMaker S7

...." I had to ask around for the questions regarding the upgrade possibilities. "..

Here's another question:  how about an S7 camera upgrade for S5 with the Air handler?  or at least enough intel so we can DIY it?

the S5 camera isn't worth much, other than to confirm the head is moving.   I'd love to install a better camera on the air handler so I can least get an idea that it's printing OK.

I would agree that calling the S7 an S5+ would have been better, especially when one looks at the features jump from S3 to S5       I wouldn't consider it be called an S7 unless it had at least larger/heated build space....

Edited by JTMD
    I can spell, I just cant type

1. Is the wifi any more reliable? My s5 wifi features are sketchy, and thats being nice.

2. Does the webcam actually work. Cause we all know the s5 webcam is a joke. 

Hey @cjh83,

Both the wifi and webcam have improved significantly in the S7!

1. The S7 comes with a new wifi module. It enables you to connect to 5GHz as well, giving you more options to create a stable connection. 

2. The webcam has improved and has a new angle where you can see more. I really think it's an improvement. These are some screenshots from the Digital Factory of the printjob I am running now:
    Screenshot2023-02-27113006.thumb.jpg.d981b1a38fe7b51ed90e56a2c3dc0cba.jpgScreenshot2023-02-27113233.thumb.jpg.fda6eb4b29207074bb657b55f2e296b5.jpg

Much better camera and angle!

It would have been much better to provide all these improvements to the S3 and S5 rather than exclusive features of a new model.  Many of the improvements included in the S7 could be argued as remedial work that is required on the S3 and S5 designs.  For example the front fan airflow in the wrong direction, problems arising from flooded print head with such an enclosed design.  Unreliable bed levelling sensor with vulnerable wiring.  Alternatives to the glass build plate unavailable, unsuitable camera resolution and positioning etc.

• Like 2

yes, UM must make the camera an upgrade to the S5, or some enterprising person will do it for you, and will sell kits 🙂

I am in market for S5 but am afraid as soon as i do it's upgrade will come out, especially with no apparent upgrade path from the current S5. I got burned buying a U3 just before the S5 came out. Its been 7 months since the S7 was announced. What do other's think?

On 8/1/2023 at 10:19 PM, chuck-yanke said:

I am in market for S5 but am afraid as soon as i do it's upgrade will come out, especially with no apparent upgrade path from the current S5. I got burned buying a U3 just before the S5 came out. Its been 7 months since the S7 was announced. What do other's think?

I have an S5 Pro.   Basically I don't see the big deal with the S7.   it's just an S5 with the air handler built in.  The camera is better, but a $25 Blink USB camera is WAY better than anything Ultimaker has to offer.

compare the price of an S5 w/air handler and an S7..  see which one is cheaper.

We have been highly successful with implementing our S7 Pro into our Product Development process! Not that we are ready, but when will the Metals upgrade become available for the S7? 

I'm trying to say nice things about the new machine but .. I have 7 Ultimaker S5's I purchased for work.  The WhamBam bedsurface works great, probably as good or better than the S7.  All that wasted space for an air filter is really sad.  No increase in print volume.   (Our machines sit inside 3D PrintClean enclosures that have fire suppression and air filtration already covered)

While I am glad to see they take air quality seriously, doubling the height of the machine without any gains in print volume is disappointing.