Firmware 8.1.0 - Where did everything go?

rachael7

Posted · Firmware 8.1.0 - Where did everything go?

Indeed ultimaker charges a premium for it's products with the intend that they work seamlessly together. The printer detects the filament and the print-core and know if they are compatible and will stop you from breaking your machine, etc.

All the while we do have an open filament system, no encryption on any of our nfc tags or on our print-core eeproms, you can root the machine and change things if you want to. (there were even third party print-cores out there, though they did make them by buying ours first, but that just shows the cost was still less then making their own)

I do see some contrast to how some other companies work, but of-course I work for ultimaker so I'm definitely biased.

I don't think there is a push for the cloud for the reasons you are thinking off, there is just the desire to not have to maintain too many systems that do basically the same thing. Because maintaining those takes time away from making new features.

Meanwhile I'm also happy to have the duplicate printjobs functionality back, thanks to all of you commenting!

• Confused 2

Posted · Firmware 8.1.0 - Where did everything go?

Hi all, 

Community Manager announcement here. I'll be closing this discussion thread. 

I've seen real change happening in the hallways of the UltiMaker office as a result of this thread and I believe you can see that in the releases of Firmware 8.1.1, 8.1.2, and 8.1.3. 

A lot of different issues, frustrations, and emotions have been discussed. Some feedback was more constructive than others so I would like to point you again to the community guidelines for the forum because we can only improve if we work together. 

I'll be locking this discussion so no new comments can be left here. But if you have any new issues (that have not been addressed here) you are free to start a new discussion on the topic.

Keeping discussions on topic is the best way to focus our efforts.
Happy printing everyone! 🎉

• Confused 2