Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released

ArunC

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released

In this article, we will take a look at some of the new features of Cura that you can look forward to in this 5.6 stable release. Including, the long-awaited support for Method series printers, as well as additional settings that now let you control the base of your prime towers. Additionally, since the previous 5.5 release, the Cura team has leveraged the engine plugin capabilities introduced in that release to create a new plugin that gives you a bunch of new infill options!

Cura now supports Method series printers!

A year after the merger of Ultimaker and MakerBot, we have unlocked the ability for users of our Method series printers to slice files using UltiMaker Cura. As of this release, users can find profiles for our Method and Method XL printers, as well as material profiles for ABS-R, ABS-CF, and RapidRinse. Meaning it’s now possible to use either Cura or the existing cloud-slicing software CloudPrint when printing with these printers or materials.

image.thumb.png.c845ab8c63c6f758430e25fe3bfaf05f.png

Why did this take so long?

Cura allows users to slice files for hundreds of 3rd party printers, so why did it take so long for Method series printers to be supported, which as of the merger, are made by UltiMaker? There are several reasons, but the most relevant is that Method series printers use a different file type than the majority of printers, including S series printers. Most use .gcode files whereas the Method series uses .makerbot files. Enabling Cura to generate .makerbot files was a difficult and lengthy process that took months of dedicated work by the Cura team.

Another reason was that we wanted the print profiles for our Method printers to be as well-tuned and as well-tested as the profiles inside of CloudPrint. Since the slicing engine and available settings are different between Cura and CloudPrint, this required a lot of test prints and validation before we got our profiles to where we wanted them. 

Why use Cura instead of CloudPrint?

If CloudPrint meets your requirements, then there is nothing stopping you from continuing to use it. However, there are some distinct advantages to using Cura instead.

Local slicing

For companies with strict security policies in place, locally installed software that does not require internet access to operate is sometimes preferred over cloud-based software. In cases where CloudPrint is not an option, Cura can now provide a secure local alternative. 

Extensive settings selection 

Cura has always provided users with access to a large number of settings and this release extends those options to Method series printers. In CloudPrint, the setting selection was limited to provide a controlled and repeatable printing experience, with the Labs extruder unlocking additional settings for users who wanted to experiment. Cura, on the other hand, gives users unlimited access to over 600 settings for complete 3D printing flexibility. 

New features and regular updates

Throughout its history, Cura has always been on the cutting edge of 3D printing technology with regular updates introducing new industry-leading features like tree supports, the Arachne slicing engine, and much more. All of which came to Cura first before later being adopted by the wider industry. By incorporating Cura into their workflow, users get access to all of these features, as well as the many future features that will turn up in upcoming releases.

How do I slice files for a Method series printer in Cura?

You can add a Method series printer by choosing the ‘Add printer’ option within Cura. You can then choose ‘UltiMaker printer’ and then ‘Add local printer’

Unfortunately, it’s not possible in this release to use Method series printers with Digital Factory. That functionality will be coming in a later release, however.

Once your Method series printer has been added, you can slice with it as you would with any UltiMaker printer. The same ‘Balanced’ and ‘Solid’ profiles that can be found in CloudPrint are available and can be selected based on your requirements. After that, you can manipulate your model on the virtual build plate, select the materials you wish to use, and even modify custom settings or use a plugin from the Marketplace if needed. Finally, you can slice and preview your model before saving the final project file. You will then need to transfer the resulting .makerbot file to the printer using a USB device in order to start your print. 

Will there be more Cura updates for the Method series in the future?

This is just the first step in a series of updates that will improve the compatibility of the Method series with Cura. In future releases, we intend to introduce additional material profiles, enable compatibility with the UltiMaker Digital Factory, and more.

Additional settings for adjusting prime tower bases

ZUwZq2xRP_5HBif3nqiD07tGovbnNKDMHTiMFElbXvXiurHk5PHa7OxERRlMFQcr903Tn8cbRMQieb1KCr7UGfXY03pec07zMNjPHMyBFTZvu2zSxN3ot54HHXe2v_6wb8ZqAkfRRbJgc1aunIqga8U

New settings have been released that let you modify the base of your prime tower. The new settings are:

• Prime Tower Base Size

• Prime Tower Base Height

• Prime Tower Base Slope

• Prime Tower Raft Line Spacing

You can modify these settings to help improve the reliability of your prime towers. You can also use them to calibrate how well your prime tower adheres to the build plate for increased print success, or to avoid over-adhesion that may damage your build plate. 

An engine plugin for added infill flexibility

Qy7XrWUgw52L4hF6QHDXOiPiWqww5guJLaeJbnXE-JgheZ2-wEi3y7q0BLM3991Q0ntyUPbW9R5C8YtWUl6EEaNXbZm1DDyj4XALRWqMhZSeY151VG7rOnFCrsISK32_Uodj7IzrCT9fIVPb2NmRRLU

A new plugin has been created by the Cura team that makes use of the improved engine plugin capabilities introduced in Cura 5.5. The plugin is called CuraEngine Tiled Infill Generation and it allows users to select from an expanded list of infill patterns, as well as allowing users to add their own infill pattern by uploading a *.wtk file.

The plugin can be downloaded now through the UltiMaker Marketplace. This plugin is just a taste of what is now possible when creating Cura plugins. We look forward to seeing what the Cura community creates next!

Additional improvements 

The following improvements have also been implemented in the Cura 5.6 beta release:

• Start and end gcode now accepts variables and math that includes variables

• Spanish translations related to lightning infill have been updated (contributed by @Pelochus)

• Additional bug fixes

Give us your feedback 

Download this latest release to start discovering new 3D printing possibilities right now.  Let us know what you think of the release in the comments below!

Yeah, I don't know where their testing is these days.  Here's what I see on the download page.

If they can't get that right, I may stick to 5.3.1 for  bit longer 🙂

image.thumb.png.24ea05562fb40fba6e2bb2f9bd1d618d.png

• Like 1
    • Confused 1

Bugs resolved since the Beta Release
    - Introduced Balanced and Solid profiles for 1C extruders to UltiMaker Method X and Method XL
    - Improved self-support for UltiMaker MethodX and MethodXL printers so the support extruder will not be used
    - The prime tower is now always enabled when the second extruder is used for the MethodX and MethodXL printers
    - Updated the default prime tower position so it doesn't prevent slicing for some printers
    - Fixed an issue where raft layers were partially printed
    - Slice information template variables were not available through start-end code formulas
    - Resolved an issue with 100% support roof for tree support, contributed by @thomasrahm

• Like 1

No option to use the primary materials? Standard ABS and SR30... Not even with Labs extruder. I'm not disappointed that Ultimaker is finally supporting this product, but come on! It's literally the material combo this printer is advertised to work best with! Love u guys<3

What is "SR30" and what is "Labs extruder"?  I know maybe 100 materials but not sure what SR30 is.  And is "Labs" a manufacturer of 3d printers?

On 12/1/2023 at 8:11 PM, gr5 said:

What is "SR30" and what is "Labs extruder"?  I know maybe 100 materials but not sure what SR30 is.  And is "Labs" a manufacturer of 3d printers?

Materials specific to the Method family of printers include..
    SR30, RapidRinse, ABS-R.. and a few others.

"Labs extruder" is also a Makerbot specific extruder. (its the actual name of it)

• Like 1

Hey @Irish1111,

Behind the scenes, we are busy testing more material combinations to include them in the upcoming releases. The Labs extruder is a catch-all extruder that allows you to print with materials that are available outside of the filament portfolio. Even for the Generic Materials there needs to be a basic set of suggested settings available that our profile experts are working hard on to make available.

I did notice that you can make custom materials with ABSr as a base, but I'm not sure if those are accepted by the printers 🤔.       

@MariMakes Great to hear and I appreciate the response! I've owned a Method X since its launch... Pre-merger Makerbot really really dropped the ball with supporting this machine. That being so, I have a lot of respect for the Ultimaker team for starting to clean up the loose ends instead of EOL the product. I can't wait for full integration with Cura, that should really enable it to fulfill all the promises and claims made about their performance!

Also, from my testing, there is no way to get the Method X to accept a slice job from Cura 5.6 if you have anything but ABS-R and Rapid Rinse installed in the machines material bays. IDK if it's possible for the Ultimaker team to quickly add the rest of the Method / Method X specific material ID's into the Cura material list, even without optimized or material specific settings? A disclaimer or warning message could be included indicating they are just for testing or something like that? This would allow the existing Method series users to utilize the (in my case) large inventory of materials we already have in stock. 

Having spent well over $10,000 USD on the Method X, extruders, and materials... I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to finally be able to use it... 4 years later! (Not team Ultimaker's fault;)  I've been an Ultimaker owner since the UM3 days, they have always been excellent machines. I look forward to the Method X reaching the same level.

I still haven't got an auto update notice? Does it even work?

Hi @rimbo,

Good catch! The update message does not appear on purpose. 

The time between Cura 5.5 and 5.6 was very short, and we didn't want to bother people without a Method to update because then it would feel like you updated for just a few features. We expect that people will slowly learn about this version and update it if they are interested in the new features and plan to show the update message again for Cura 5.7. 

• Like 1

Hello, can you tell me if the Neptune 4 printers will be in the next version of Cura?

It looks like the pull request to add them was merged on November 1st and so they should have been in 5.6.0.

Maybe @MariMakes knows about this.

Hey @notanotheraccount,

I agree with @GregValiant, it's odd that it's missing, because the information is available. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/6d0e0f2cbc826d03c76d75f3879d6b302351703d

I'll bring it up to the team to see what they can do to restore/include it. 
    Fingers crossed 🤞 

I have used Cura 5.2.1 and have had some good results with my 3D Printer (Anycubic Kobra Max) but now...

I went to Version 5.4 to use the Fusion 360 plug in and the results has been less than desirable.

I was hoping Version 5.6 would fix the problem.  It seems that this new version has forgot the Z axis and the print head keeps crashing into the previous printed layers.  The slicing seems fine but the prints look horrible.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 123022.jpg

It is unlikely that the Cura gcode is causing this or everyone using Cura would be having the same problem.  It's possible that AnyCubic (or a Cura contributor) has altered the Kobra Max definition file, but what you are getting still should not happen.

You can open a gcode file in a text editor and search for {space}Z.  The numbers should climb upwards.  If Z-hops were enabled then there will be hops coupled with downs and the Z will drop back to the working height.  At every layer change you will get an upward movement of the Z.

Or you can post the gcode here.  But if you do that please also post the project file ("file" "save project as").

Are you really printing ABS on a kobra max?  I don't know if it's possible: https://www.reddit.com/r/FixMyPrint/comments/1328dvt/anycubic_kobra_max_issue_with_abs/

@rgray47 posted a bug report on Github with the two project files.  The gcodes I generated were fine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released

Just installed Cura 5.6.0.

Loaded a Cube, Cylinder and Tube using Calibration Shapes Extension by 5axes.

This is the result testing this version.. part is not fully flat on the build surface in the application. You can distinctly see the dark / light parts.

I do not see the same issue with mutliple STL's that I just tested. Only seems to be related to extensions that have the ability to place objects into Cura such as temp towers, tolerance towers, shapes, etc..

ScreenShot_20231212174448.png

ScreenShot_20231212175606.png

Edited by jlspeeddragon

I don't use that particular plugin.  5axes drops in here sometimes.

@Cuq do you recognize those?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.6 stable released

No , never heard about that.  But ...

Yes same "issue" for me.

image.thumb.png.30e65cd5ddbdc721a83f60b8b4406fe3.png

But as it is not a problem don't need to investigate anymore.

The same Part, with the Drop Down Model function. Certainly a question of 0.0000001 mm  accuracy.

image.thumb.png.56d7a41ae7c98b6672367458dab426af.png

Edited by Cuq
    • Like 1

@Cuq - to be clear, are you saying that if you click "drop down model" then it works fine?

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

@Cuq - to be clear, are you saying that if you click "drop down model" then it works fine?

To be clear, if you reset the Z position of the part with the option Drop Down Model ticked, by moving it, then the lower plan is correctly shaded. But the Part works fine in any case.