Replacing the printhead cable?

aag
Go to solution Solved by alnavasa,

Posted · Replacing the printhead cable?

I head a major filament jam that destroyed my S5 printhead. Since the cable is also damaged, I would like to replace it as well. However, I do not know how to get to the connector between the motherboard and the cable. What do I need to disassemble in order to expose the motherboard-cable connector?

I understand that end users are not supposed to replace the cable. However, my S5 is 5-yr old and the warranty is void anyway. I live in a remote area and I don't have access to a car, hence it would be difficult for me to bring it to a service center. I have a replacement cable with me but I need to know which part of the printer I need to disassemble in order to get to the proximal socket of the print head cable.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you might be able to give me.

Thank you Torgeir, and happy new year. However, the video doesn't address my issue. I need to replace the cable, meaning that I need access to the motherboard in order to unplug the old cable and replace it with the new one. Any advice on how to best get to the motherboard?

Posted (edited) · Replacing the printhead cable?

Hi,

for access to the motherboard, this article by @fbrc8-erin may be helpful for you:

https://www.ultimakernasupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004187366-Electronics-Board

Routing the new cable along the path of the old one should be no problem ;-).

Regards

PS: Sorry, didn't notice You have an S5, as the video-links of @Torgeir misleaded me; maybe the link is helpful anyway.

Edited by Enigma_M4
    addendum
    • Like 3

Hi there,

This cable run on the R/H side (looking into the printer) on both the S3 and S5 -versions (but S5 cable are some inches extended)..

The R/H side, inner cover over the stepper motor, are attached the same..

Here's Erin's link of to replace the whole cable for the "print head" for an UMS3..

https://www.ultimakernasupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004187366-Electronics-Board

Here's a link that describe the difference between the various version of S5, S5 R1 and S5 R2 (R - revision).:

https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337576879

Here's a link to face book S5 support.:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UltimakerS5/

As @alnavasa just finished his "overhaul" of an UM S5 R1, he might have some valuable tip for you.

Well, Happy New Year everyone.

Good luck

Torgeir

• Like 2

• Solution

Hi,

I just replaced that cable (And many other parts)

That cable is cheap, around 20€

I recomendable you to buy on the same order (to save shipping fees) the capacity cable (around 1€) and a couple of silicone spares for the nozzle cover (around 4€) 

In my case my printer also had more than 3.000 hour, so I replaced the belts (recommended to be replaced after 4.000 hour), also replaced new print cores, new springs for the bed and new clips, as well as Bowden tubes and their clips.

Your head cable, 

I recommend watching this video to see how the plug from the printhead is removed:

The cabe then traces to the back of the printer and into the motor cover. The monitor covers are just pushed in, just pull them gently first form one (I recommend the wall side) side and the from the other (the back side).

At this step you will need to lay down the printer, 

on the side, put some cloth or similar to prevent the printer from scratching

Befor opening the bottom of the printer make sure that it is completely unplugged from the wall, It is not electrically safe to open below while the cable is connected (R1 version of the S5).

Also to prevent any ESD issues with the board I recommend you remove static from you, I personally touch the water radiator of the house metallic non painted part which is grounded so I get my self discharged, there is people that work with sensitive equipment that always have a cable connected to the ground to them to be completely off, not my case, but I just give it a touch before to prevent.

Then below there its pretty much straight forward, follow the cable take pictures before to follow after. 

Also the cable has a position, one side goes to the printhead, and the other goes to the PCB below the printer, I think the one for the PCB below the printer has some sort extra heat shrink tubbing.

Also the capacity cable snapped off right after the overhaul, so I recommend changing it for what it is worth, actually is easier to change it while the printer is being manipulated. 

The cable plugs in the back side of the printhead and the cables side just pull the older ones from the PCB and push the new ones into the PCB of the capacity sensor. They are NOT soldered (I read people soldering them here) they have a connector where you insert the cable, just by pushing it, then you pull to check if they are snug and don't move, If they move, pull them away, look at the clip that holds them, the clip has two arms on each of the sides that go in, if the cable is not being held inside, those two arms need to be pushed further in.

This video helped too:

• Like 4