This little machine is really surprising me!

NTwoO

Posted · This little machine is really surprising me!

With my UM3 being replaced in January with a second hand S3 I've been enjoying the improvements that the S3 brought with it. The improved hardware and the input shaping support introduced was a nice boost. The quality was clearly a step up. With the UM3 I printed ABS a few times and struggled with warping. Even though my UM3 was in a Box3d enclosure the warping was quite intense. I even found a solution for it using PETG and interlocking to help with the insane warping. So ABS was relegated to a material less used... It just did not provide the results I wanted and working with custom rafts for it was just a little too much hassle every time, especially if it was an STL off one of the sites.

With many months not using ABS it came across my path again... About a month ago I bought 20 spools of Verbatim material for 20 Euro. It included some PP, TPU and quite a bit of ABS. One of my colleagues with a Creality was looking to upgrade some of his fan shrouds to ABS or a higher temp material. I offered to print it for him, seeing that I have enough ABS and the S3 should be OK. To my surprise, the S3 is better than OK. I suffered no warping for the fan shrouds and hot end parts! It is amazing what the printer delivered! Seeing that there is enough ABS, the trigger was pulled to print a wall mount for something in the work shop. It takes up about the entire build plate. With first few millimeters deposited, there is absolutely no warping! Fantastic! Thanks guys for building a great little printer.

2024-02-2317_07_46.thumb.jpg.28d3278b8e379faeb134eb58ae92f16d.jpg

Print temperature is also tracked in the bottom of the Box3d and is nice and low. The electronics will not be cooked, thus.

2024-02-2211_56_55.thumb.jpg.a11753b038debb59d5e4bb9562539dcb.jpg

16 hours ago, NTwoO said:

The improved hardware and the input shaping support introduced was a nice boost.

Er... does the S3 support input shaping? That's new to me...

I read tuning in the acceleration behaviour in the notes of Cura 5.5 as some tuning in input shaping, but maybe that was not quite the way they did it..

Posted (edited) · This little machine is really surprising me!

Hi there,

From Cura ver. 5.5.0 they implemented some new functions into Cura, here is the actual issue:

Excerpt from Cura 5.5.0 text file.

----------------------

"Enable Fluid Motion, Fluid Motion Shift Distance, Fluid Motions Small Distance, and Fluid Motion Angle are settings for printers with smooth motion planners like Klipper."

----------------------

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Wrong entry.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:59 AM, Dustin said:

S series does not have input shaping in the firmware at this time.

I read somewhere that the S series (particularly S5) is using Marlin firmware.  
    I just updated my original Ender 3 firmware to Marlin 2.1.x and and tuned Input Shaping after printing the acceleration tower, and it practically completely fixed my ringing in my letters.
    I wonder if it might be possible for the future for S5 to have input shaping? Or is it a complete rebuild of the firmware to make this happen?   Input shaping is said to be the best thing in 3D printing for some time, and I agree, it really helped increase the quality of my Ender3 prints!  Hopefully S series can implement this function too, regardless of any accelerometer, I can tune it manually if the feature is implemented 🙂
    That would rebreathe life into some of these old S5 printers, because even with the visual setting my S5 still has ringing on letterings which would obviously benefit from input shaping.  
    My Ender3 has a 400x400 bed which is very heavy, and the input shaping was the only trick that helped slow the vibrations from that Y movement.  

TL;DR, I would love to see input shaping on the S series printers, regardless if it requires a long time to tune and get it right.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RaidenUltimaker said:

I read somewhere that the S series (particularly S5) is using Marlin firmware.  

It uses a fork of a very old version of Marlin as part of the firmware. It would be a LOT of work to rebase the changes that were made to the Ultimaker fork onto a more modern version of Marlin.

• Like 1

Printed a benchy with some Ultimaker ABS that was left on a roll. It was done in fine. There were some imperfections with the seam and the overhangs, but the text on the back surprised me!IMG_20240410_092226554.thumb.jpg.a88d95765982ef52193e725181b305a7.jpg

On 2/26/2024 at 8:59 AM, Dustin said:

S series does not have input shaping in the firmware at this time.

At this time 😏....

The photo suffers more from JPG compression artifacts than what ringing is a case here. That being said, in fast printing one still see ringing artifacts, so I guess input shaping is not implemented yet.