How to support a Lip/Groove of your product?

b.bolk

Posted · How to support a Lip/Groove of your product?

At the office we have a ultimaker 2 since a couple of weeks. We are trying to make a prototype but the results are not good. In de 3D cad File we used the function Lip/Groove which is used on the edge where 2 sides of a product come together. When i try to print 1 of the 2 sides i position the part with the Lip/Groove to the bottom. De big holes of the part get support but the overlap of the Lip/Groove is not supported. This results in a print where the ultimaker tries to make this overlap in the air what gives a messy result. In the photo's you can see there is no support under the lip/groove.

Voorbeeld Lip groove 2

Voorbeeld Lip groove 1

Has somebody advice for me?

Can't you just flip the part upside down? Depends on the details which may be there...

I usually try to avoid any overhangs where possible, but if it isn't possible I integrate the support right into the model. This can be a problem if you need your model to be "clean", for example in order to have it CNC machined in the future. So, maybe you'll just have to make a "prototyping" model and remove these supports for final production...

This is how I would support the outer contour of your model. Just a quick & dirty sketchup, but you should get the idea:

supporting A Lip   1

That's my dirty replication of your model :)

supporting A Lip   2

Make a second lip on the outer contour, just 0.4mm wide (single pass line for the printer - check with Cura that this does get printed, you may need to define it like 0.41mm wide or something).

supporting A Lip   3

This should show how the support works. Basically, you don't have an overhang anymore, but now it is a bridge that should print well.

Support needs to be broken off after printing which is very easy because it's only a single pass line.

That was also my first thought.

If it is really necessary to print the object this way, go to expert settings and set the "Distance X/Y (mm)" to a lower value than the overhang of the object is.

Be aware that the more closer the support will be printed near the object, the greater the chances are that the support will touch the object.

It is necessary to print the object this way. I moved my Distance but the only thing that changed was the support of the inside. Do you know why cura only support the inside and not grooves/lipes like this?

I have worked with other 3D printers like the UP plus and i know almost for sure that their software did also support things at the outside like this no matter what direction the object is placed...

I think it's just a bug in Cura - the support algorithm still need some work. You might try adding your own support structure in your CAD software, or using a tool like MeshMixer to add support to the STL.

And of course you can always use a different slicer such as Slic3r or Kisslicer.

Do you know why cura only support the inside and not grooves/lipes like this?

Because of the brim below. The brim and support on the same spot - well it doesn't work - it's basically a Cura bug.

You could turn off brim. But I would instead model 8 1mm diameter supports for the 4 outer and 4 inner corners and let the UM2 bridge the rest.

Maybe you could make the inside angled rather than having a flat surface that drips down while printing, have a triangular shape (wide at the bottom, and pointed at the top) so that there is a 45 degree angle inside the groove.

I made a quick model like yours and tried to get support added by Cura, It just won't add it no matter wich settings to adjust.

Looks like illuminarti is right about the bug.

Tried the same model in Cura 13.06.4, support was added to the model.

Perhaps it will work for your model also.

Again - it's because of brim. In 13.06.4 I bet you had brim off.

Even when i turn brim off i won't get support. I think i just try to make some support with the 3D program and break it off later. Thanks for all your reactions!

I'm sorry, but curiosity is killing me. Why do you have to print it in that orientation?

Again - it's because of brim. In 13.06.4 I bet you had brim off.

You are right gr5, no brim (never used it anyway)