UM2 Glasplate broke while printing.

jonask

Posted · UM2 Glasplate broke while printing.

Hi!

After removing my ~15h print i discoverd something shocking.

There was some glass broken off and sticking under the print. I think the Pictures says all.

It was my first large ABS print. buildplate Temp was 100°C until 30mm print height where i turned it down to 70°C. I did use some print stick (the original witch is delivered with the UM2).

I thought it would be no problem to heat the glass up to 100°C?

Maybe a material failure of the glass?

I can use the other side of the glass now, but if this happen again i got a problem :eek:

Cheers

Jonas

P4090802

P4090805

Man... that is bad :(

Hope you can get a replacement or something, this stuff shouldn't happen....

For future reference, have you tried just leaving the print on the plate for a while until it cools off?

The print should pop right off the plate by itself as it cools, so you won't have to pry it off and risk damaging the glass...

Forget to mention that the print cooled off for about 40 minutes. I could remove it easy by hand. I heard some noises while it did cool off, but since the printer is in another room i am not sure it was the glass or the neighbors.

thats really crazy... i only saw this happen kinda once before... so it appears to be very rare... maybe just a bad one in the batch ?

I would recommend you contact sales about this and explain what has happened.

Ian :-)

I also managed to get a very little part of the glass plate come off.

This happened because the print was really stuck to the bed and i had to pull it off with a lot of force. Main cause for me was not letting the print cool down enough. I now have no trouble as i wait enough the print just pops off the plate.

I now use the other side of the plate

My guess is that high temp for the buildplate can make the print stick to much and that using some tools to take the print off may damage the print. I never printed in ABS maybe it needs more cooling?

yep on your plate you can even see the lines that picket up the surface from the glass. Looks like on some glass plates the surface from the glass does not stick that well to the rest as on others. If so its a quality problem from the glass supplier.

Yup, has happened to me as well. In my case it was with XT.

XTvsGlass01

XTvsGlass02

XTvsGlass03

XTvsGlass04

Robert is just looking for more excuses to use his fancy flashlight!

You should be able to just flip it over and in the meantime ask Ultimaker for a replacement and consider getting some glass from a local glass shop. It will probably cost you very little.

Nah, that was just one of the cheapies ;)

Due to the awesome Ultimaker Support, i did get a new glass plate a couple days ago! Thank you.