Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
netsrac

Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

The fan behind the Extruder (not the two side fans blowing on the print surface) is a noisy tiny devil. I hope this can be controlled via software.

So a feature request would be to turn off this fan after nozzle and bed has been cooled down.

It's the only noisy part on the UM2 and after a long print, you just want it to be quite.

• Like 3

If I'm not mistaken that fan is hard wired to power so it cannot be controlled via software. A future version of the electronics will offer this feature but I don't know how far into the future that is.

I don't find it all that noisy though to be honest, certainly more quiet than the electronics fan on the UM1. Have you checked that there isn't something rubbing on it and that the screws are nice and tight?

There is also a compatible fan made my the same company which is, to all intents and purposes, silent. I have this on my printer, after I accidentally destroyed the stock one:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MC25060V2-000U-A99/259-1573-ND/2757803

Digikey won't sell to Europe. I gather the European distributor is TME.

You can remove the old one by just undoing a couple of screws. I think the replacement fan comes with just bare wires (it's been a while since I installed mine), so you'll need to either crimp on new connectors, or else solder on the connector off the old fan. Then slide it back into place, reattach two screws and hook up and tidy the wires above the hot end.

Right, especially when you are running a long print....which ends somewhere at night, so you want the printer to turn off all noisy parts.

It's so fun that you can control unuseful things like the LED brightness and behavior, but you can not turn off this damn fan :-(

Another solution is to switch the printer off no more noise :mrgreen:

You may not be able to turn off the fan but you do have the ability to make it quieter. Mine is so quiet I can't hear it more than 10 inches away. The refrigerator 2 rooms away is noisier. Cars driving by 2 blocks away with windows in house closed are noisier. I have to touch it to be sure if it's on or off.

It's so fun that you can control unuseful things like the LED brightness and behavior, but you can not turn off this damn fan :sad:

Well, the 5V back fan was a quite "last months" change thing. The electronics where tested and produced a few months before that (they where actually the first piece finalized). And changing electronics requires a lot of testing due to regulation. (CE and FCC are fun...)

Potentially you could abuse the LED output to control that fan. But the LED output is 24V, and the default fan is 5V. So you would need to do some hacking to convert to the proper levels.

The connectors are JST connectors. Quite common.

Definitely remove the 4 long thumbscrews first. Changing the fan is the easiest thing to do on that head. Easier than messing with the nozzle even.

To see the fan connector you don't even have to do that, just slide up the black mesh and you can see all 3 fan connectors in there.

When removing the 2 screws holding in the heatsink be careful as the spring in there (it's obvious) is pretty strong so squeeze it together with one hand while removing the 2 screws with the other.

Click "raw" to see the um2 assembly manual:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/um2%20assembly%20manual%20V1.1%20_english.pdf

Hi,

I did ordered the fan gr5 sugested from ebay, it came from a german shop "it-tronics.de", it is very easy to remove and plug the new one, you dont need to remove the 4 long thumbscrews at all, just slide up the black mesh and move down a little all the cables, including the bigger ones going to the nozzle, remove the two screws for the fan and you have it.

All I can say is wow!! I have know a clear idea of whats the difference between noise and silence!!!

Now when I switch on the UM2 there is silence, before was really noisy, now I dont feel I need the rear fan to be off when UM2 finish printing, it is just no noise now!!

So go on and change your fan if it is noisy!