Anyone knows how to produce a lithophane? Can we produce one with Cura?

Posted · Anyone knows how to produce a lithophane? Can we produce one with Cura?

My basic question is how can I make a 3D print in my Ultimaker 2 that reproduces one picture? This is a lithophane isn't it?

Can we do it with Cura? What is the easiest and best method to produce lithophanes? How can we also go further and make a true 3D print like 10mm high reproducing a picture?

Celso

Posted · Anyone knows how to produce a lithophane? Can we produce one with Cura?

Iluminarti

Absolutely amazing feature! Why is this not advertised as one of the incredible features of Cura?

Can we transform the .amf file in .stl file?

Thanks

Celso

Also I've used this wonderful utility do produce lithopanes:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:66115

It produces STL file which is nice because I can then edit the STL with other editors. Unfortunately I felt I had to reduce the polygons a bit using meshlab but it's a nice utility.

How to reduce polygons:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/226-polygon-count-reduction-with-meshlab.html

I guess I don't understand your question. How is this different from your first question? You can convert an image to a "height map". I think you can use the cura scale feature to make it a taller height map. The utility I mentioned definitely lets you control several variables: the "base" thickness (minimum thickness) and the remaining maximum thickness. I don't remember if you can control the same variables with Cura but I expect you can by using the "cut off object bottom" feature and the "Z scale" feature.

I just tried it in cura - it allows you to choose many options - just try it - load a jpg or other image file.

The problem is that it just sets the height based on brightness - it has no relation to the actual 3D shapes in the picture.

You can, however, print the Cura output on translucent plastic to get a lithopane: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=lithopane

The problem is that it just sets the height based on brightness

I think that's the original poster's goal. He wants a relief map where the white regions are taller. Right?

You can open a jpg in Cura instead of an STL and it will create a lithopane.

You learn something every day... even after more than a year of cura! I had no idea this can be done with cura out of the box, how cool! thanks illuminarti!

I have tried this a couple of times this week since reading the post. My first thought was wow this is smart! I was actually surprised how well it came out - i.e. it exceeded my expectations. The pic was of my convertible, shot from the side, and showed the windscreen, wing mirror and headrests very well; and indeed the overall shape of the body. But once I settled down and thought about, it is very limited for a lot of pictures. I.e working on contrast means shade can be real problem e.g. as a flat surface becomes two surfaces.

So I am going to put the pic into Photoshop next week and try and "tidy" it up from a 3D printing perspective.

Conversely if you wanted to print a logo then, with the right logo e.g. just a couple of primary colours, a simple clip from a web page would I suspect work really well as long as you do not pick up a lot of "noise"

Or you can get relief maps - geologic maps of an area where the color is the height and print out a mountain or a country or whatever showing the mountain range, etc.

Someone posted somewhere where to get that kind of info.