A First Look at BioFila Linen

foehnsturm

Posted · A First Look at BioFila Linen

No PLA, a biopolymer based on Lignin instead, no colors so far, just natural - but immaculate print quality and very appealing, slightly rough surface finish.

An interesting detail: The BioFila guy at Fabcon mentioned, that it features a smaller temperature range below melting point where it really gets liquid . So let's see:

gallery_5589_458_696486.jpg

I couldn't print that with PLA in that quality so far.

Small, 6 cm tall vase, spiralize, 0.2 mm! layer height, a single 0.4 mm! wall

gallery_5589_458_85657.jpg

... water - well, red wine - tight!gallery_5589_458_255584.jpg

Guys, there is a silk version tooooo!!

Want it both... :-)

There will be more:

BioFila Terra, BioFila Chlorophyll, biofila cho’c and BioFila Vulcano

@foehnsturm: Did you talk to the BioFila guy what the remark about once-extruder-never-gets-weak-again means for the hotend in terms of clogs? Does one have to have a dedicated hotend to one of these materials only?

Well I think I didn't find the correct phrase for that. The material of course remelts in the nozzle!

I had no clogs so far. I just looks like it's very unlikely to soften it when the nozzle passes by again for another perimeter or the next layer.

I would suppose this is related to how the material behaves between glass transition temperature and melting temperature. It seems to feature a smaller temperature range below melting point where it really gets liquid. (- Edited the original post -).

Buying in Europe: http://shop.deltatower.de/filament/biofila-3mm/355/biofila-linen

rest of world: nope, but they are just starting to produce larger quantities right now

Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't find a value for the glass temperature. I just saw the bed temperature which is usually a bit higher than the glass temperature. It's quite high for BioFila Linen (90°C) and about the same for PLA for BioFila Silk (60°C). Does that mean 75°C and 45°C glass temperature?

I will have my biofila Linen and also biofila silk on Tuesday :grin: from my UK supplier for testing.....

Oh, I wanted to write about this, too! I really need to take some photos of my sample prints.

Regarding nozzle clogs: They told me at Fabcon that you shouldn't print slower than 20 mm/s. Otherwise there shouldn't be any problems. I haven't had any problems with clogging so far, however, I found that you need to preheat the nozzle for a bit before printing.

There's also a really interesting aspect of BioFila Linen that the printed surface becomes coarser when printed at 210°C and above. It's smooth at 200°C and becomes coarse at 210°C. It's like the difference between glazed and unglazed ceramics. I'm currently designing some objects that make good use of this.

Another amazing quality of this material is that the surface looks good even after sanding. With PLA often enough you can tell where a part was sanded because it looks dull.

Anyway (in case you didn't notice :-P ), I'm super excited about the material!

Oh, and the BioFila silk prints look soooo smooth!

Interesting. Me wants too! I`ll try get some samples :)

Dreaming?

gallery_5589_458_187610.jpg

or awake ...

gallery_5589_458_1834462.jpg

BioFila Linen and ColorFabb Bronze 0.1 layer height, no infill, quite heavy: 7 grams

gallery_5589_458_286092.jpg

So impressed i ordered some along with some colorfabb XT and Dutch orange because they sell colorfabb too at the mentionned shop.

@Dim3nsioneer : here is the guy of bioFila ;-)

1.) What do you mean by "once-extruder-never-gets-weak-again"?

2.) The softening temperature (Erweichungstemperatur) of bioFila is 58.4°C (VST = Vicat Softening Temperture)

see MDS on our homepage: http://www.two-bears.eu/media/MDBbiofilasilkR3.pdf

We use 55°C as temperature for the hotbed and it works perfect.

Received mine today :) Will test it this weekend

I played a bit with BioFilla Linen, using regular PLA settings except for the filament temp which is 200°c (if i read well you can go down to 170°c). First i printed the UM robot at 200%. Then i printed a character i downloaded a while ago from thingiverse.

0.1mm layers

20140601 202133

20140601 202141

20140601 202148

20140601 202202

After a bit of cleaning and rough sanding (it sands well):

20140601 203823

It's a nice material, it feels a bit like rough cement or stone. Gives a more "noble" touch to the print. After what i've read a more shiny finish can be done by lowering the temp, will test that probably this week :)

Hey Didier,

Did you have the chance to test it further?

I didn't test it a lot but what i can tell is that it's nice to sand and doesn't leave an ugly surface when you sand.

It prints very nice and overall it's a very good filament. I don't test it a lot because i didn't print stuff that are suited for this except some tests with the 3d sense scanner i bought recently.

20140628 141141

20140628 141135

20140628 141128

Here it is cleaned along with WoodFill Fine (the bigger one) and Turqoise green

20140628 191554

20140628 191520

20140628 191448

The part under the chin where support was, was sanded and almost smoothed but i didn't try a lot. In terms of finish it's the best out of the three materials