Making different nozzle sizes.

Posted · Making different nozzle sizes.

Hello,

I'm planning on making the integrated nozzles with different extruder sizes. My plan is to make the most commonly wanted sizes. I see that .2, .3, .5, and .8 are the most wanted.

The price depends on how many people want them, but I don't see them being any more then $28 shipped in USA. International shipping will be a little bit more.

I will be taking presales though PayPal when I get a definite answer on what sizes people want.

I will be posting this on other social networks like instagram and G+.

Thanks,

Brandon Gill

One thing you could do is making almost a Ultimaker 2 nozzle but with the heater block as a separate threaded on the nozzle/tube, that way you could keep it reliable (no extra sealing surfaces) but easier to switch out the nozzle since you do not have to remove the heater cartridge and temperature sensor from the head.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking of making the heater block out of aluminum instead of brass also.

I would go log scale. So maybe 50% increments? .4 *1.5 is .6 *1.5 is .9

/1.5 is .26

That would give you .26 .4 .6 .9 1.4

Or maybe 30% increments?

.18 .25 .3 .4 .5 .7 .85 1.1

I would pick a ratio (I tried 1.5 and 1.3 - maybe 1.4 is better) and go with that for the nozzle sizes.

At some point the wattage of the UM2 heater can't go any faster so there is no need to go above a certain size nozzle hole. Someone with a nozzle larger than mine (I have .7) will have to experiment with max extrusion rates. For my UM2, .7 nozzle can each go up to about 18mm^3/sec. .4 nozzle up to about 7mm^3/sec. At 230C. Someone else reported the same speed with .8mm nozzle.

data here (posts #1 dark blue line and post #8)

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4127-um2-extrusion-rates-revisited/

Your log scale makes sense, but not at 150% ratio.

A .5mm nozzle has about 55% larger area than a .4mm, and it is the area of the nozzle that controls the amount that can be extruded.

I'd suggest .33, .4, .5, .62, .75mm would be a good set.

Is there a Kickstarter project yet? :)

Very interested... I'll buy one ...

Thanks for all your support! I am still in prototype phase, so once I get some working models I will do some extensive testing to get the best results. Does anyone in the US want to help test a prototype? If so email me at gillblazer@gmail.com for more info.

I am investigating something similar, but if you have something working, I would be interested.

0.35, 0.4, 0.5 (for plastics) and 0.8 (for laywood, laybrick) (or close to these values).

I not sure if I'm going to build them. I have been working on a solid in Solidworks to fit with no modification to the current machine. I had an idea in my head of nozzle that could be unscrewed with the heat block still in the machine. But I'm stuck. I currently don't have an UM2 to test my ideas on and I don't know anyone local either. I have the machinery if you need any help making your ideas.

Do you know where the existing model is of the existing head? I can link you to it if you want.

Why don't you have a UM2 anymore?