Can the um 1 be run without a temp sensor plugged in?

Posted · Can the um 1 be run without a temp sensor plugged in?

That is, if I unplugged the temp sensor I would usually get a max temp error but is there any way to disable this?

I'm using a printer for an application where I don't need a temperature probe and it would be easier just not to have it on the machine....

I guess you could modify the code for the firmware and compile a custom version. But... why? If you just want it to heat up uncontrollably you could just hook it directly to a power supply. Don't expect Ultimaker to replace it when you break it though...

edit: I see now that you didn't even mention turning the heater on. Nevermind.

Well, you could leave it just disabled.

But as Robert says, you can also modify gcode so you remove the command line.

I think it is either M105 or M109.

Example: M109 S0

Anybody can confirm or correct? :p

Just note that the UM1 firmware has "cold extrusion protection" that prevents the feeder stepper from advancing if the hotend is not hot. So if the sensor, isn't reporting something like 170C, the feeder wont operate.

Just note that the UM1 firmware has "cold extrusion protection" that prevents the feeder stepper from advancing if the hotend is not hot. So if the sensor, isn't reporting something like 170C, the feeder wont operate.

Except if you apply an M302 in the start.gcode.

I'm printing biogoop, so I don't need a temp sensor... I have changed the start and end code so it does work fine however I would rather redeploy the sensor elsewhere in another printer or keep it spare also the more parts and widgets you have on a machine the more likely it is to break... so for the sake of simplicity I was looking to remove the sensor that's all. It's no biggie..

Except if you apply an M302 in the start.gcode.

I did not know that .... thanks. Could be very helpful when tuning/testing the feeder.

I'm printing biogoop, so I don't need a temp sensor... I have changed the start and end code so it does work fine however I would rather redeploy the sensor elsewhere in another printer or keep it spare also the more parts and widgets you have on a machine the more likely it is to break... so for the sake of simplicity I was looking to remove the sensor that's all. It's no biggie..

The amp board outputs a voltage proportional to the temp. You could simulate by placing a 6k resistor in series with a 4k resistor. Connect one lead of the 6K to 5V, the other lead to the 4K and the other lead on the 4K to ground Then connect the signal pin in the middle of the two resistors forming a voltage divider. If my calculations are correct (the typically are NOT!!!), this should present 2V to the signal pin which the UM should interpret as at 200C based on the datasheet for the AD597 here: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD596_597.pdf

Then you could harvest the amp board and TC for other machines.

Arduino MEGA Ultimaker Shield v1.5.7 Board

anon is correct. Any voltage well above 0V and well below 5V will work so you can use any pair of resistors where each is between 1K and 10K. Combine that with turning off heater and M302 (cold extrusion) and you can remove the temp sensor.