NASA does it, it's news ;)

cleven

Posted · NASA does it, it's news ;)

I printed the one from NASA. its a crap design.

Did you give mine a try? If so how did it compare?

Barnacules Nerdgasm has printed and tested the wrench on UM2:

Did you give mine a try? If so how did it compare?

No I havent, I dont have the need for a wrench but thought it would be cool to print theres off and it use as a show piece of what My 3d printer can do.

We seeing im a engineer and most of my friends are 2, its not all that impressive and has a few flaws. I emailed NASA but no reply yet.

Think of the crazy overhangs and bridging they can do....

Actually, gravity does not effect that as much as you think. You can easy test this by turning the printer upside down (will work just fine) shrinking due to slight uneven cooling has a much bigger effect.

I don't get the entire "designed for 0 g "thing, reversing gravity doesn't change anything that requires a new design. All you can do is bridge better :p

I downloaded the file from nasa but i think i will try yours cleven it looks cooler ^^

I don't get the entire "designed for 0 g "thing, reversing gravity doesn't change anything that requires a new design. All you can do is bridge better :p

I know a bit more about the project. And it's not so much "designed for 0G", it's more "designed for space". As space is a.. horrible place. 0G means all the dust never really settles, so the printer was designed to be fully enclosed. I think NASA only allows certain types of materials to be used in construction, which most likely also was an issue.

It's also remotely operated, so all the control is done from earth. At the ISS they can only take out the final print, not much else.

Now, I'm 100% sure that if you just grabbed your average Ultimaker and shot it into space, it will work fine. But, procedures did not allow for that.

That explains a lot David, thanks for clarifying.

Also, if you care about space:

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

I love that game. Nothing is quite as satisfying as shooting green men into space, and explosions. (Also, I know a lot about rocket science now...)

Funny, that was exactly my reaction when I watched Barnacules video about it. It is just a copy of a metal ratchet with some minor changes, basically.

Clevens design is way better than NASAs, I would say :smile:

NASA really could need someone with a bit more skills in designing for 3D-printing to use that printer efficiently.

After all, it must be quite expensive to print things in space if your filament has to be shipped from planet earth and so on.. :smile:

Yeah the NASA one isn't all that impressive all things considered.

I haven't tested the nasa one. But on inspecting the design. It seems they designed it to slip (click) over at around 3 inch pounds. I think it should be called a static non adjustable torque wrench :).

Where mine will not slip, as in most wrenches :) you push till she breaks ;).

Note! I didn't print or test the nasa one. Please correct if I am wrong :)

I printed yours Cleven, that's a wonderful design. And since it can tighten and unloosen, it's better than NASA's wrench. I actually tested it the other day by taking off the terminals on my car battery and it worked great.

Kudos sir!

Thanks

If you want the nasa one to go both ways extrude a 1/4 square. Then print a square dowel that pushed through :).

I made a simple one like this which worked. But I wanted my design to be able to change if the ratchet area broke. So I needed it open and a way I could lock it in. So I simply made two ratchet sections that move independent :).

It was just a challenge for me to try to make a functioning mechanical tool back in August.

I printed yours Cleven, that's a wonderful design. And since it can tighten and unloosen, it's better than NASA's wrench. I actually tested it the other day by taking off the terminals on my car battery and it worked great.

Kudos sir!