Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tinydancer

Best way to clean old nozzle?

I used a blowtorche a few times, also pushed some pla trough a few times while cleaning with the blowtorch (when its still hot). Did not do any polishing after this, printed fine again even though the inside looks black (not saying polishing isn't a good thing, just did not do it myself).

I use a grip vice + glove to hold the hotend.

- I use a soldering iron adjustable up to 400 degrees, burn all PLA residues.

- Then I use carefully matching Dremel tools with max. 3.17mm, such as drills and other attachments (without engine), so I remove any residue.

- To conclude I Roll fine sandpaper (500 grit and finer) into a kind of tube and clean the heating chamber.

- With a proper injection needle (0.4mm gray) I make the nozzle orifice free of remains.

- And sometimes I polish the entire Hotend with a small brass brush on the Dremel.

The last cleaning was probably very successful, there are already many weeks passed and everything works smoothly.

Well to do adeep clean you need to take it off. If you just want to clean the surface while its on the printer you can do the following:

- head the nozzle to about 200C

- using pliers you can remove the black stuff by GENTLY scrubbing the surface of the nozzle.

- or use a brass wire brush to brush the durt off

- or use a cleaning tissue, fold it two three times and rub the nozzle to wipe it.