UM2 Bowden tube ?

chrisr

Posted · UM2 Bowden tube ?

I'm sure this has been asked and solved before but I can't find it anywhere on the forums (Sander or whoever's responsible for the website - can you please fix/improve/replace the search engine?)

The shop doesn't seem to be selling the UM2 bowden (at time of this post, it isn't) does anyone know an alternative supplier ?

I've found plenty of Teflon/PTFE tube manufacturers but no one who carries the unique dimensions that the UM2 bowden seems to have -

6.5mm o/d and ~3.2mm i/d (as best I could measure it)

Anyone any ideas?

While the one for the original is a bit shorter, it will also fit in the UM2 just fine.

https://shop.ultimaker.com/product/39/Bowdentube

Thanks Daid, I was looking in the new store and it says "only compatible with the Ultimaker Original" when you hover your mouse over the picture? https://ultimaker.com/en/products/spare-parts

Not yet. I'm looking for it myself too. The dimensions are: 1/4" outer diameter and 1/8" inner diameter. Quite difficult to get in metric Europe...

Thanks, I'll refine my search! :smile:

Edit: Bingo

http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/Product/Cole_Parmer_PTFE_1_8_x_1_4_Tubing_25_Ft_Pk/OU-06605-30

25 ft should last a while....

I think Chris is looking for a Bowden tube from PFA not Gold... :p

• Like 1

I think Chris is looking for a Bowden tube from PFA not Gold... :p

Lol! Is this not the correct material? I know 25 feet is a bit excessive, but it's going to last me a looooooong time ;-)

Hi Chris

I got some of this 3.2mm ID 6.4mm OD from ebay £4.73 a meter.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PTFE-TEFLON-TUBE-VARIOUS-SIZES-SOLD-BY-THE-MTR-/331151995558

I am using the bowden tube available on the Ultimaker shop on a UM2 without problems.

Thanks cor3ys, that's a lot more reasonably priced. Just ordered some!

Nicolinux thanks, the new store confused me a bit as it said "only compatible with ultimaker original" but good to know it will work fine with the UM2. Thanks for all the help guys :-)

You are all aware that the Ultimaker tube is made of PFA not PTFE? It has a bit a higher melting point... depending on what you print this might become important...

Oh :-(

Now I'm confused.... according to here

http://www.adtech.co.uk/products/fluoroplastic-tubing-and-rod/ptfe-tubing.php

Both PFA and PTFE are good for 260C max ?

I think I'll give them a call in the morning...

Just found this interesting read: http://www.differencebetween.net/science/chemistry-science/difference-between-pfa-and-ptfe/

Been using PTFE bowden for nearly a year, no issues yet, and plenty of XT printing at 240 degrees.

Would a ID 4mm OD 6mm tube like the one used on Repraps also work? And maybe even resolve some of the issues with real 3mm filament having too much friction in the 3.2mm tube?

If it's for a UM2 you may have problems with the couplers (which hold the bowden tube in place at either end) not having sufficient grip to hold the bowden in place, as they're for ~6.5mm tube (or as I just learnt) 1/4" outer diameter tubing.

Can't see a problem with the inner diameter being 4mm though.... ?

(thinking a bit more I wonder if 0.5mm would make that much difference....?)

Another option;

E3d-online.com

Would a ID 4mm OD 6mm tube like the one used on Repraps also work? And maybe even resolve some of the issues with real 3mm filament having too much friction in the 3.2mm tube?

no it will not work, I bought some (from China) and it pulls out of the coupler while printing, its best to source 1/4 by 1/8 inch

diamTube

Just for fun tried some waterrfiltertube with the correct OD but a larger inner diameter.

Prints fine, although will for sure impact the retraction settings, could be good for people who have some 3mm plastic they want to use..

waterFilterTube

and used the clips from the waterfiltermen as someone posted in another tread, they are perfect, same size as the UM clips. Bit differenth shape but thats fine.

plasticClip

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006PF1RBK/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I've always heard McMaster-Carr is a good place to get things. Not sure what shipping is like overseas though. They have a huge selection of PFA/PTFE/PVDF/FEP/MFA tubing and I'm sure several other letter combinations.

Extreme-Temperature Tubing Made with PTFE and Teflon® PTFE 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID, $3.73 per ft

The ebay.co.uk seller listed above does not ship international. Is there another source for longer pieces (2-3m) of the 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID tube that ships to Germany at reasonable prices?

The ebay.co.uk seller listed above does not ship international. Is there another source for longer pieces (2-3m) of the 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID tube that ships to Germany at reasonable prices?

Perhaps this one...?

9,50 EUR per meter and 7,00 EUR for DHL is still reasonable, isn't it?

Ordered 5' of 1/4" X 5/32" ultra clear PFA tubing from McMaster-Carr today ($4.78 / ft + shipping). Should be enough for two bowden tubes for my UM2. We'll see if it works out.

Ordered 5' of 1/4" X 5/32" ultra clear PFA tubing from McMaster-Carr today ($4.78 / ft + shipping). Should be enough for two bowden tubes for my UM2. We'll see if it works out.

Was the ultra-clear PFA slippery enough to allow your filament through?

Was the ultra-clear PFA slippery enough to allow your filament through?

It seemed to be slippery enough, but retractions were an issue on some prints, enough that I went back to my stock tube. I'll save it to use if I get some oversized filament (actual 3mm or larger). Maybe using 1/4 X 1/8 would work but I haven't ordered any yet.