printing a filament oiling mechanism

lance-greene

Posted · printing a filament oiling mechanism

so if i take a little filament filter like https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dust-filter

and drill a little hole in it so i can put a couple drops of lube into it so it slowly lubes the filament, is it possible to get this put somewhere after the filament has gone through the feeder? has someone already modded a feeder to support this idea? im mostly just concerned with this for things like ninjaflex, but also curious what other filament types might benefit from this?

What´s the reason to oil it after the feeder?

As it (impression form variouse postst reg. flex filaments) just needs very little oil it should work in front of the feeder too.

Another option I found at thingiverse is to put a coupler onto the bowden and drill a tiny hole into it...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:50441

Oiling the bowden tube has good effects. Using to much will negatively influence the layer adhesion (atleast, thats my experience with it when using PLA. Note that i did that +- 1.5 years ago).

I used sewing machine oil that i found in the office. No idea what kind it was.

I can only guess that adding oil into the equation will cause all kinds of issues with the filament. There should be no reason to oil filament if you're using a good manufacturer.

... true, except for flexible filaments like ninjaflex... there is as far as I know from several posts a little oil necessary to reduce the friction in the tube.

Nevertheless, I´m a bit too scared to drill a hole into my bowden to give the thing I refered in my previouse post a try...

For printing Flex filament I use Glycerol (glycerine),a key-component for making DIY-PLA, so it should not hurt the PLA.

Use a paintbrush to apply a little bit before the feeder, the Knurled bolt will 'bite' trough the oil film.

My UM org. feeder is not as delicate as a UM2 feeder :cool:, for UM2's Drayson's coupler with a hole could be a opion.

I used shredder machine oil on exactly that feeder on my UMO to help ninjaflex. Lightly oil the sponge - no issues and it helped (IMO) the ninjaflex.

On the UMO I also added a small spacer in the feeder just above the knurl on the bit that swings out (just to stop kinking)

I also replaced the delrin bearing with a bearing that slides over the original bearing - my delrin did not really rotate freely.

To make it easier I then used a .65mm nozzle

It is slow but I can get usable ninjaflex parts no problem.

If you use Roberts feeder i made this to oil the filament: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/feeder-snap-on-guide-with-oiler

Filaflex is really grippy and this helped

Well, adding the oil did allow me to print at higher speeds without any noticable changes in quality. So yeah, you don't *have* to do it, but it might improve things if done correctly. I do believe an automatic 'lube' dispenser might improve prints.