Keep the Plate Level

sensebellum

Posted · Keep the Plate Level

I am having trouble keeping the build plate level between prints.

I dial it in, calibrate it, and it prints great.

Then, EVERY time I go for a new print, without even turning it off, the plate, when it comes time to lay down the first layer, is many millimeters off (either +/-).

How do I fix it so it goes back to the same place every time instead of needing to calibrate before every print...

Thanks for any tips!

How do you remove the print? Let you cool itdown completely or pull on it with force...?

I assume you have an UM2 so pls chech the metal latch on the bottom end stop if its bend. Can happen and is already described here in several posts.

You might have a main board problem? I had an issue where the z axis took on a mind of its own. Simon sent me a new board and all is well.

One quick fix I di while waiting on the new board was to lower the Z stepper current (advanced settings motion control) to 900 mAh. Worked for me... Not saying that's what you're problem is , but at least it's one variable to test :)

adding to the list, could be too much play in your lead nut.

@Drayson, I try to take it out nice and easy. It happens even if it comes off of the plate no problem.

I have version 14.03

I will upgrade and try some more.

@fluxline, How would I check that?

Try the new firmware indeed, there was a bug as pm_dude mentionned.

The level of the bed was "randomly" off by a couple of microns most likely the firmware update will correct this

i would first check with looking at how well the z hop is working, too much play and you'll need values like .25mm to get any noticeable hop. the other is using the pronterface print gui and moving up and down in small steps, check when you reverse direction how much the bed actually moves.

if you suspect that it has a lot of play, dismount the motor and remove the lead nut from the bed and give it wiggle when screwed on the lead screw.

There were actually not one, but two independent bugs that could/would affect the bed leveling that were not yet found in the 14.03 firmware: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5935-z-axis-homing-inconsistent-on-um2-workaround-and-patch/

Apart from that, the priming was significantly improved around 14.06-14.07, which significantly reduced filament grinding issues.

So before you start any troubleshooting of the hardware, upgrade the firmware! :smile:

After adjusting the firmware I was able to get a MUCH more consistent level on the print bead between jobs.

Thanks for all the hard work, that really helped dial in the experience!