A few tips on designing for 3D printing

Posted · A few tips on designing for 3D printing

I've put together a few random tips about things you might want to think about when you're designing your models for printing. Like the other guides I've put together it's not super in depth but it should help get you thinking in the right direction so to speak :)

I'll be trying to add in more pictures and flesh out the text as time goes on.

Hopefully you'll find something helpful in there. If not, you should help out by contributing more tips ;)

Designing for 3D printing

• Like 1

Nice document!

Maybe you want to change the link to the Rectract While Combing plugin to https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/wiki/Retract-While-Combing-plugin. The Ultimaker Wiki is not anymore editable and there will be a new version of the Retract While Combing plugin soon. Finally the link should point to the new plugin repository on Youmagine (there you might now more about the time schedule than me).

Nice resource, indeed. I spent the weekend trying to print out some small parts storage bins that had a 2mm radius on the bottom edge. Was driving me NUTS trying to get a clean fillet. Will change that to a 50% chamfer / 50% fillet when I get home tonight and see if it prints cleaner.

Thank you, Robert!

Another excellent guide Robert! For those of you new to Robert's guides - here are the 3 that I know about (did I miss any?):

troubleshoot:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

improve quality:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/30-getting-better-prints

design tips:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38-designing-for-3d-printing

gr5: There's a couple other things on the main page: http://support.3dverkstan.se/ But no "big" guides as such.

edit: F!#"#! I hate this forums URL "detection". Someone needs to get fired.

Yeah - well I don't think the other articles are as amazing as the 3 I mentioned. The "material settings" article for example could use updating with the new features where you can write settings to SD card, edit them (e.g. give materials new names other than 'CUSTOM') and then read them back in.

All three articles should be pinned on the top of the forum, not only "A few tips for getting better tips".

I wish I have seen them all a month ago when I got the printer. It would saved me lots of grief, wasted time and filament.

Thank you Robert!!!

Great info Rob and very helpful to anybody new to printing. Your putting in a lot of work on these helpful doc`s so big cheers to you mate :) !

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Are there any other type of guides you would like to see? I can't promise I'll make them but I'll surely consider it.