Want your face printed (by you)? Come here!

josef-r

Posted · Want your face printed (by you)? Come here!

Hello all!

I'm a sculptor and 3d digital artist who sculpts bas reliefs (among other things). I've been curious about doing them digitally and 3d printing them and wanted to see if home desktop 3d printers, particularly the Ultimaker 2, were up to the task. So here's the deal: If you have an Ultimaker 2 and want a bas relief print of you or someone/something you like, send me a picture and I'll model it and send you the file to print yourself! All I ask is that you send me some decent pictures of the model after you've printed it so that I can see the outcome.

Generally these reliefs are around 6-10" tall by 4-8" wide with around 1" of depth.

Here's an example model I've made of the awesome Neil deGrasse Tyson!

n_dG_tyson_SS3_zps8dad565e.jpg

This will be on a first come, first serve basis and I'll only be doing 3-4.

You can email me your photos at josefriggins@gmail.com

I'm in.

Private message has been sent asking details for transmitting digital image to you.

Thank you for this amazing opportunity.

I am in!!

Ill print it in Bronze or Copper!

Thanks!

Hello swordriff! Glad to hear it. Just email me your desired photo of choice

Cool stuff. Can't wait to see some results.

I did something similar for Christmas but in a much lower quality with all the family members. It was pretty fun.

memory game - family pictures

Hey guys, I've gotten everyone's images besides VISU-AL's so far! Things have been pretty busy with work but I'll be able to really get going on these this weekend. Do you all mind if I post renders in this thread or do you want renders sent exclusively in private through email?

Prefer Private!

Also, that's pretty cool pm_dude! Did you convert the images into height information?

The way I make my digital bas reliefs is by taking either a male or female base mesh, sculpting it roughly to appear like the subject. After that I pose it, squash it down, and then sculpt and refine it from there and take out undercuts. It takes some time but it's pretty fun to do!

You can post Mom's render when we get it all done. I'm proud of her. I'd be honored!

Also, that's pretty cool pm_dude! Did you convert the images into height information?

Yes in my case it was just in Photoshop.

- Put the images in Grayscale

- Removed the shadows and highlights to get the picture as flat as possible in medium gray

- Then I painted some masks to clean the picutre and define heights

You can see that its far from perfect since dark air are not over skin...

Then in 3dsMax I used displacement maps inside the picture frames.

Fun project :)

Which modeling program do you use for this? That Tyson model looks great!

I use ZBrush to sculpt these. It's a really great program!

I`d be in too... if you could do one of my cat:P

Ha I could probably do your cat. It'd be a little while though before I can get to it

Hello everyone! Sorry to leave you guys hanging, but I'll be sending out more renders/final models to you all very soon. I expect to get a lot done this weekend.

Sorry about the wait!

Thanks for the update, Josef. All the best. Did you receive my 'neckline gallery' to assist your final render? Pls advise. Can send again if necessary.

Mother as sculpted by Josef. Absolutely Amazing!

Incredibly talented, real life sculptor Josef, professional in every email exchange. Now, to hold up my end of this deal and get it printed. I will return with a post edit after I accomplish my part of this most generous offer from Josef, and have an actual repousse' print to share with the forum.

I'm pretty jazzed about this. She's 85 in this photo. She just turned 89 in Jan '15. There was no touchup of the original photo, no photoshopping, no airbrushing, no blemishes nor teeth touchup, no wrinkles removed! This is just simply a skilled sculptor with an artistic eye and years of real-world, hands-on, sculpting experience, combined with my color photograph of Mother.

This is an exquisitely digitized repousse' in process.

AsFbp0v.jpg

Thanks, Josef Riggins!

Thanks for sharing 3Dw!

Just a little update. I've sent models to 3Dwhoopee, Jeroen, and swordriff and I'm currently working on models for VISU-AL and Shurik.

Mother as sculpted by Josef. Absolutely Amazing!

AsFbp0v.jpg

Thanks, Josef Riggins!

Josef,

this is what the FDM print this morning came out looking like. The professional printer is an extremely well qualified, head of hub guy who printed this for me, in basically a 3cm square sized sample. I'm not happy, and we're trouble shooting. For some reason, the .STL file is not providing the proper command to close the top layer. I'm stumped.

Here's the link so you can download the really messed up final print at this stage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3wqdvbhna7fc5s/WP_20150410_17_10_09_Pro.jpg?dl=0

Hi Josef-r, are you able to model a photo for me?