what do you think of this accessory

Posted · what do you think of this accessory

I just saw a project of an accessory for 3d printer on Kickstarter. Seems their marketing is pretty good. But I m not sure if they could solve problems like they say. Do you guys think this is good for your printer?

check link:

I think you can probably do a lot of the same essential features with a Raspberry Pi and OctoPrint... Havn't done it myself though

But you have to set that up yourself. Which may be a problem for unexperienced users.

If what they write on the kickstarter page is true, then this looks like a cool thing for people who want to simplify their 3D printer setup as much as possible.

However, I believe that you will still get the best possible prints when you learn how to work and tune the printer yourself, and take the time to make a good 3D model, optimize your slicer settings for your needs, and so on.

Also, this Element will not be able to magically "dispel" the quirks and difficulties of a 3D printer's hardware. You still need to keep the machine in shape, oil stuff, tune stuff. The Element will hardly be able to keep your nozzle from clogging if something goes wrong, or untie a knotted up filament spool.

The promises are large. Implement your own slicer is not an easy task and there is no data that I was able to find how it compares against Cura or slice3d. And taking machine and material settings from a database does not sound attractive to me. There is quite a large variation in the same material causing you to print slower warmer or .. Also the model influences your choice in printer settings. If all is hidden...

My feeling is, too good to be true, show some evidence (but I don't jump on every development).

The concept of having a wireless access point from where you can print is very nice so likely this part will work well.

I don't see much benefit over existing solutions like OctoPi and AstroPrint. The latter can be purchased as a plug and go appliance (AstroBox). OctoPi on a RaspPi 2 B+ would be a nice powerful solution using the Cura slicer if you are willing to manually set it up.

It seems bad enough to have to rely on a full blown pc to push the gcode fast enough. Seems not a very good idea to put the burden of slicing and sending g-code on an even smaller device.

Hi there,

I'm Daniel (CTO of AstroPrint). I just also wanted to mention that we have a free version of the AstroBox for RPi (including the new Rpi 2).

We also use the already proven and powerful Slic3r and Cura on our cloud slicing engine.

Any questions let me know!

tl/dr: Nothing.

Ok so to solve these questions/Problems:

1. How does it work
    2. What is printable and what's not
    3. what materials do I use
    4. what software should I use.

they created a WiFI, phone controllable, slicer, controller, printer spooler that is the solution to ALL of these problems.

While this box might be a solution for a couple of not mentioned problems it does not address any of the problems mentioned at the beginning.

As with any tool no matter if it is a hammer, saw or a 3D-printer you have to have basic knowledge about the capabilities and restrictions of that tool. If you try to manipulate any type of material you also have to have a basic understanding of the materials properties as well.

They provide the tools so YOU CAN BE THE ARCHITECT - wtf

An architect that has no basic knowledge about the material and processes he has to create designs for. Sounds legit.

Just be creative :)

- Carsten