Why one cannot set temperature in Cura?

3dnerd

Posted · Why one cannot set temperature in Cura?

Hi,

I wonder why I cannot set the nozzle temperature directly in Cura.

If I create a model I directly know which material I will use for printing.

It would be great to directly safe the nozzle temperature in the Cura file on SD card and don't have to create/select a material profil on the UM2.

Is this possible or not?

Hi

I only know the following option:

You must change the G-Code-Flavor, go to the Machine settings. For Ultimaker 2, the Ulti-G-Code-Flavor is active by default. Change the G-Code-Flavor to RepRap, and then you get in Cura, additional expert setting options.

The starting and final behavior of the machine is then slightly different from the usual behavior. Anyway, from now on, the start code and end code can be customized.

Whether the change in G-Code-Flavor affects printing results, I can not say for sure.

Markus

Hi mnis,

thanks for reply. Without any experience I think I will keep with my current settings.

I wish also a function where I can specify 1st layer temperature. I would prefer to print 1st layer (and top layer) with slightly higher temperature to make the print paths melting together nicely.

As I guess this crrently only possible using TweakAtZ? But this is too complicated/timeconsuming for such 'little' option.

OK, a good and wise decision, the experience is sure to come up with the routine.

Oh, I forgot TweakAtZ total:

In TweakAtZ you can determine what temperature from which layer (... unfortunately not for Layer 0) should be, perhaps it is sufficient initially.

Markus

Hi,

I could test another 3D printer (Robox), there it was possible to specify a different nozzle temperature for 1st layer and top layers. This is a really great feature since you can set a higher temperature which makes the paths of 1st and last layer melt very good together so nearly you get one close surface instead of single paths.

This would also be great for the Ultimakers!

Because cura basicly does not know what type of fillament you are using. This is why for the um2, it's moved to the machine (and away from cura). This allows you to print the same file with different fillaments (Where before, you were forced to re-slice).

Hi nallath,

thanks for reply. But in Cura there could be a setting to set the bottom layer and top layer temperature percent wise.

E.g.:

Bottom layer temp 105%

Top layer temp 107 %

For PLA printed normally at 210 ° this will mean:

220.5 ° for bottom layer

224.7 ° for top layer

This will work even if the material is changed on the UM2.

It just makes sure that bottom and top layers could be printed at different temperatures.

It would give much more flexibility to tweak the print process easily since bottom ant top layer need to get special attention.

This would be great!

I agree, but we're busy with all kinds of things right now, so I doubt if this is going to be implemented any time soon. Sorry :(

Hi nallath,

everybody is busy all the time - or not?

The question is how high is the priority for such an improvement ;-)

@3Dnerd: If you request a bottom/top tweak for TweakAtZ https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/issues, I might consider it for a next version... ;)

Hi Dim3nsioneer,

I watched the Github page but seems very complicated to add just a simple feature request.

I am also not a member of Github.

Could you write for me my request with a pencil on a simple peace of paper like in the good old days? ;-)

Paper? Reminds me of old-fashioned 2D-printing... :D

I'll consider it; but it will take some time as there has just been a major update recently...

Hi Dim3nsioneer,

thanks for understanding, and if it takes time, no problem I can wait - 3D printing is a slow process as well ;-)

Hi

I only know the following option:

You must change the G-Code-Flavor, go to the Machine settings. For Ultimaker 2, the Ulti-G-Code-Flavor is active by default. Change the G-Code-Flavor to RepRap, and then you get in Cura, additional expert setting options.

I can't figure out how to do this in Cura 2.1.1 on MacOS.

There is a manual page

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20511-change-machine-settings

but it only explains where to find things on Windows.

Where is this setting in Cura 2.3? Thanks, Will

In Cura 2.3 that setting is not available for the UM2+ (but it is available for the UM2). This is fixed in Cura 2.4. See the "Machine Settings" on the "Printers" pane of the preferences.

In Cura 2.3 that setting is not available for the UM2+ (but it is available for the UM2). This is fixed in Cura 2.4. See the "Machine Settings" on the "Printers" pane of the preferences.

That explains why I could not find it. I just rolled back from 2.4 to 2.3 because of some issues that I was having with my UM3 and 2.4 so i guess this will have to wait!

Thanks,

Wisar

Hi guys

I too want to find temperature settings for cura 2.5 I just upgraded to it. This was not available in 2.4 either.

For PLA, I want to control head and bed temperature as right now, the bed is always set at 77 degrees and print head at 230. This is for PLA. I am struggling to find this setting.

I can see the option to have the option available in custom setting but when checked, the setting does not show.

As indicated above, use Machine Settings to change gcode flavor to Reprap (Marlin/Sprinter) if you want full control over temperatures in Cura

• Like 1