Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
insight01

Ultimaker 2 Printhead Fans Parts replacement list

The purpose of this thread is to gather in one place all the important information on replacement fans and how to source/order these fans. I have to spent too much time researching this because my small back fan blew out after a hack gone bad and replacement fans are not listed in the UM2 parts store.

The Ultimaker 2 has three fans. The smallest one in the back is a DC 5V 0.58W fan which can be replaced by a quieter Sunon MC25060V2-000U-A99 found here:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MC25060V2-000U-A99/259-1573-ND/2757803

Last time I ordered these Sunon's they cost $7.40 US dollars.

The other two fans found on the sides of the Printhead are DC12V 0.08A fans. My crude measurement of these fans gave dimensions of 30mm x 30mm x 10mm. Someone please correct me if I'm way off here. The IMPORTANT consideration here is that these fans are obviously PWM control fans. I have been able to source 3 solid candidates for replacement fans. However, I have contacted Ultimaker support to supply some information regarding the airflow rate or rpms of the stock fans. Since the higher the flow rate the more noise we have to endure.

Any input from UM2 owners who have replaced fans would be appreciated.

• Like 1

thank you for the link for the small fan on the back, i ordered it from digikey at 4pm on a monday and it was delivered at 10am the very next day... the fastest shipping i've ever had!

what a difference it made to reduce the noise of my printer.

i would like to change out the two larger ones as well with brushless fans. the biggest complaint my wife has with the printer is the noise it makes so anything i can do to reduce her stress works for me :)

let me know what you find out insight01

About 2 weeks ago, I replaced my UM2 back fan with a Digi-Key MC25060V1-000U-A99 fan. It is listed as a 5V, 3cfm, 13,000 rpm 25X25X6.9mm Sunon fan (the Sunon Mc25060V2 is listed as 2.2cfm, 10,000rpm same size and voltage). The V1 is much, much quieter than the OEM fan. I don't notice it at all now when it starts or stops unless I'm listening for it specifically. The OEM fan made a loud (to me), high pitched siren sound that was very noticeable and annoying. I don't know what differences there may be in air flow from the OEM fan, but have noticed an improvement in printing overall. I generally use PLA and did change brands of filament at the same time as the fan change out so my observations may not be an "apples to apples" comparison. So far I'm pleased with the results I seen. Only down side is shipping was more than the cost of the fan ($6.64/$7.19).

i changed my profile as i couldn't get back on with my old one. (kevin cunningham) i did the change and now i'm looking to silence the stepper motors on my UM2. there is a fantastic hack for the UMO but i'm hoping that someone with the expertise will devise a plan to put the new stepper chip into the motherboard of the UM2. the noise difference is huge. and once you get the new fan you will notice the stepper motors way more now.