Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
xeno

Heated finishing tool.......scam !

Guess everybody wants a piece of the 3D printing money pie :)

looks nice, but you can get exactly the same setup for a fraction of the cost,

even in the Kickstarter comments somebody links to a much....much cheaper option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dental-Lab-Electric-Wax-Waxer-Carving-Pen-Pencil-Carver-with-6-Tips-Laboratory-/151630567983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234de2da2f

Their rebuttle, that their tool is especially made is Bull !,

I am using a cheap solder station (that I already owned) with a fine tip, and that also works great.

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/zd-937-digitaal-soldeerstation-50-w-150-tot-450-c-076727.html

save your cash and buy the solder station or wax tool pen :)

I wouldn't say it's a scam... extremely overpriced? Definitely but scam has a different connotation.

It's possible that the wax tool is open loop control and this appears to have closed loop probably PID based temperature control.

However, in my opinion, it isn't worth the asking price. I might pay half of the asking price for the ergonomics, form factor, specialized tips, temp controls specific to 3D printing materials. However, I wouldn't pay what they are asking.

I do find the stretch goal of a model for testing a bit of a ... well .... stretch as a motivator....

Reminds me of the "special enclosure" on kickstarter to smooth finish prints, using acetone... "It works great with ABS, and less with PLA but we are confident that we will find how to optimize the parameters to make it work with PLA too" (after we got your money). :)

Reminds me of the "special enclosure" on kickstarter to smooth finish prints, using acetone... "It works great with ABS, and less with PLA but we are confident that we will find how to optimize the parameters to make it work with PLA too" (after we got your money). :)

Acetone smooths PLA great, you just have to find a particular PLA filament. Colorfabb works, you just need to print at at 0.06 though. But then you get no lines, but keep most if not all the detials. The Aectone just takes a bit longer to work and needs to get dipped rather then vapour, but it does work.

Edited by Guest

@cloakfiend: that's a lot of conditions :)

Yeah but its worth it in the end. ill post up some pics to show you. You basically remove all of the layer the lines, and only soften the details a touch...its only two conditions good pla or one that contains PHA or other impurities, and to print it at high rez with a nicely calibrated UM that is. Thats it.

Edited by Guest