Heated finishing tool.......scam !

xeno

Posted · Heated finishing tool.......scam !

Guess everybody wants a piece of the 3D printing money pie :)

looks nice, but you can get exactly the same setup for a fraction of the cost,

even in the Kickstarter comments somebody links to a much....much cheaper option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dental-Lab-Electric-Wax-Waxer-Carving-Pen-Pencil-Carver-with-6-Tips-Laboratory-/151630567983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234de2da2f

Their rebuttle, that their tool is especially made is Bull !,

I am using a cheap solder station (that I already owned) with a fine tip, and that also works great.

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/zd-937-digitaal-soldeerstation-50-w-150-tot-450-c-076727.html

save your cash and buy the solder station or wax tool pen :)

I have nearly the same thoughts.

I have no idea what patent it could be, that they want to file? (last point on the left)

6b30e2d7d6718e97d6b9ec2a7c0c86f7_original.jpg?v=1426509123&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=7f12c4843d2db92b375f1ccf1e96f13f

Is there any invention, that is not "prior art"?

(PS: I hate patents)

I wouldn't say it's a scam... extremely overpriced? Definitely but scam has a different connotation.

It's possible that the wax tool is open loop control and this appears to have closed loop probably PID based temperature control.

However, in my opinion, it isn't worth the asking price. I might pay half of the asking price for the ergonomics, form factor, specialized tips, temp controls specific to 3D printing materials. However, I wouldn't pay what they are asking.

I do find the stretch goal of a model for testing a bit of a ... well .... stretch as a motivator....

They met their goal:

People are so stupid they deserve to waste their own money in vain searches of quick fixes...

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Heated finishing tool.......scam !

There is a better one available on kickstarter as well, which is cheaper and an already established cordless soldering iron.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/249225636/cordless-3d-print-finishing-tool

Edited by Guest
    spelling

Reminds me of the "special enclosure" on kickstarter to smooth finish prints, using acetone... "It works great with ABS, and less with PLA but we are confident that we will find how to optimize the parameters to make it work with PLA too" (after we got your money). :)

Reminds me of the "special enclosure" on kickstarter to smooth finish prints, using acetone... "It works great with ABS, and less with PLA but we are confident that we will find how to optimize the parameters to make it work with PLA too" (after we got your money). :)

Acetone smooths PLA great, you just have to find a particular PLA filament. Colorfabb works, you just need to print at at 0.06 though. But then you get no lines, but keep most if not all the detials. The Aectone just takes a bit longer to work and needs to get dipped rather then vapour, but it does work.

Edited by Guest

@cloakfiend: that's a lot of conditions :)

@cloakfiend: that's a lot of conditions :)

Yeah but its worth it in the end. ill post up some pics to show you. You basically remove all of the layer the lines, and only soften the details a touch...its only two conditions good pla or one that contains PHA or other impurities, and to print it at high rez with a nicely calibrated UM that is. Thats it.

Edited by Guest

I will be very interested to see these pictures! I have some acetone around, I could try it if it proves interesting (not sure it would on my low quality chinese PLA though :-/)