This file will override machine setting

zxen

Posted · This file will override machine setting

I have had my Ultimaker2 for months, and I have never printed anything (except factory SD card models).

The error message, 'This file will override machine setting with setting from the slicer' appears for every single Sketchup image I've EVER made. I have asked many people what the problem is, but nobody can tell me. I want to smash the ultimaker to pieces now.

I export files as dae or stl from sketchup, then load them in cura, then save them as gcode onto the SD card, then stick the SD card into the ultimaker2, and it has the error message above. The platform raises part way, some PLA extrudes and nothing prints properly AT ALL.

If anyone has ever successfully printed anything aside from the factory models, please, please, please tell me how the hell to use this infernal contraption. Nothing should be this faulty.

Posted (edited) · This file will override machine setting

I think you don't have the correct Gcode flavour set in Cura.

For normal UM2 operation go to:

machine settings / GCode flavour

It should be on : "Ulti Gcode"

This way you set your temperature etc.. on your printer.

You can also use "Reprap (Marlin/Sprinter)" this lets you work more like on an ultimaker original, and set more settings in the slicer. When you do this on an UM2 you get the warning like you did (This file will override machine setting with setting from the slicer) which is fine if you made a deliberate choice, but it needs some tweaking on start/end codes in cure to properly use it, in your case probably just don't use this, If you want to learn more about this just google this forum to finds examples of start g-code.

Edited by Guest

Oh and it may be caused by you selecting ultimaker original i.s.o. ultimaker2 while installing CURA, if so you may have other settings incorrect in CURA, so best and most secure way is to go to; Machine / Add new machine ... and add an Ultimaker2 .. now your sure your default settings are correct. To be sure you don't use the wrong machine settings in future you can go to "Machine settings" and remove the incorrect machine.

Thanks so much. Mine was set to RepRap Volumetric. Now I see a lot of yellow highlighted settings in Cura. Are these the default measurements or do I actually need to research what to write in the Basic, Advanced and Plugins sections? I cannot find the answers on the internet at all.

BASIC

Quality:

Layer height (mm):

Shell thickness (mm):

Enable Retraction: Y/N

Bottom/Top thickness (mm):

Fill Density (%):

Print Speed (mm/s):

Print Speed (mm/s):

Support Type:

Platform Adhesion Type:

Sketchup is very good at creating models that have edges that don't quite touch and things that are not solid. When cura sees non-solid things it tends to ignore them. So before you try to print anything, look at "slice view" in cura to make sure it isn't leaving out some or all of your print.

I have never used the quickprint settings so I can't help you there. Done many hundreds of prints but never used quickprint.

For your first ever print I recommend taking it out of quickprint mode and leaving everything as is except:

layer height .2

shell .8

retraction on

fill density 20%

speed 25mm/sec (this is slow safe speed for first print)

platform adhesion none

support none

top/bottom thickness .6

Maybe you are asking what settings does "basic quickprint" set up for those above settings? If you are asking that then the answer is "it depends on the version of cura". The way to find out is to setup quickprint to a given setting, then slice something and save it, then switch out of quickprint and then do "Load profile from gcode..." and choose the file you just sliced. It will then load all the settings into cura and you can see them in Cura.

Normal print in "quickprint", then go to expert, switch to full settings, and start with these.

The yellow highlights can be seen as a tip, if you f.e. select a shell thickness which is not a multiple of your nozzle size you'll get a warning. The confusing thing can be that in some cura versions the "quick profile" settings are set up in a way you get warnings when you go to "full settings"...

I would advice to start with the "normal settings"

layer 0.1

shell 0.8

bottom/top 0.6

fill 20%

Speed 50

I think GR5's wrong on the combination layer 0.2 with top/bottom 0.6 mm, this would only give you 3 top layers, which may not be enough to get a closed top layer. Just go for +/- 6 top layers if your not sure, so when using 0.2 layers go for 1 or 1.2 mm top thickness.

And the easy way to know the settings of the quick print profiles is just to select a profile, then switch to full settings, and your asked if you want to copy the settings of the quick profile, no need to save and import gcode for this (on the version I'm using at least..)

And as a better alternative for sketchup have a look at the free "Design Spark Mechanical", just google and download... this produces a lot better files for 3dprinting.

Wouldn't it be better to reset all the Cura settings to default,

then you know for sure alle settings are correct to begin with ?

File--> reset profile to default

I have had my ultimaker2 for about 3 or 4 weeks now and never seen this until today! I searched the forum and found this thread. I'm not sure exactly what I did but I think I may have loaded the file into cura by double clicking the filename, every time I have previously loaded files I have always just clicked the filename once and used the drop down and selected 'Mesh Files'. This time the model appeared in cura, it saved to the SD card as normal but the ultimaker gave me the error message you saw too. When I checked the SD card the file was zero kb, so I just reloaded the file the way I used to and all was good! I blame it on my friends buying me too much beer last night!

Is there a way to reset all the Cura settings to default in 15.06.03?

Is there a way to reset all the Cura settings to default in 15.06.03?

you can add a new printer in Cura, that way all settings will be reset :)

If you are using new cura, (you know this is still beta software?), I propose you take the latest version (15.09.81), get it here;

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/15.10/

and read more here; https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17296-cura-1510-open-beta

Ok thank you frederiekpascal & ultiarjan! I appreciate the reply!

I had the same issue. The machine shows this message. If I try to print, the print starts printing without heating the header and the build plate, and without purging the material. I have tried a lot of different solutions. What have worked for me was simply changing the SD card. We have 3 SDs cards here. Two of them had the issue, but when I have used the third one, there was no issue and the machine worked well. 

Re-formatting the memory card usually takes care of the problem.  Some printers (Creality comes to mind) don't read cards over 32gb.