Ultimaker Original, magnetic mounted acrylic side and front panels

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original, magnetic mounted acrylic side and front panels

Hey guys

So I wanted to somewhat enclose my UMO to keep the hot air from my heatbed in and cold air (+ small child fingers) out... The top, I am still hoping will be "enclosed" by a air curtain coming from my massive cross-flow fan (man that thing blows air! :O)

I have looked at various enclosures that people have made, and came up with a few design goals:

- A plan all along has been to keep my UMO sort of stylish, and as non-bulky as possible, so this applies to the enclosure as well... I decided I wanted the sides to actually sit IN the hole in the frame, rather than on top of it.

- I hate hinges, and opening a hinged door requires space next to it, which you often do'nt have (because you are messy) so you have to move stuff around to open the door etc.

I wanted to be able to open my enclosure without much space next to the printer

- You often have to fix stuff in the printer, take your glass plate out, put a new one in, etc. etc., This means you will often have to open a side or front panel, fix stuff and close it again... Hence it should be an easy "snap-in-place" operation

With these things in mind, I went to GitHub and downloaded the open source lasercutter drawingings for the printer...

I took the "hole parts" of the drawing, and modified them a bit (added slots for magnets and some fancy safety warning text). Then sent the drawings off to a lasercutter service to have them cut in 5mm. acrylic.

Here is the result, loosely placed in the holes of the frame:

WP_20150520_001.thumb.jpg.30b1a4f78a2093b26d98dfc7b74d0ccc.jpg

I will now mount some sqare magnets that I got from ebay, into the slots along the edges of the panels, and drill holes in the edge of the printer frame, to add some cylindrical magnets there. This should snap the panels in place, and make them easy to take in and out of the hole...

the whole setup adds no extra bulk to the printer, only a slight weight increase.

Edited by tommyph1208
  • Like 4

Posted · Ultimaker Original, magnetic mounted acrylic side and front panels

Very nice, and that's what I have in mind too, only with hinges.. Lol :-) but very small stylish hinges of course! I very much like to keep my printer clean and tidy too!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original, magnetic mounted acrylic side and front panels

Great solution!

Did some time ago the same at my UMO - also with magnets, but I designed some flaps to mount it...

Just as a remark from what I learned: Be sure that the magnets are strong enough to keep everything in place and make sure they are well glued to the parts.

Otherwhise the enclosure will start shaking and generate more noise (learned that the hard way...).

Edited by Guest

Great solution!

Did some time ago the same at my UMO - also with magnets, but I designed some flaps to mount it...

Just as a remark from what I learned: Be sure that the magnets are strong enough to keep everything in place and make sure they are well glued to the parts.

Otherwhise the enclosure will start shaking and generate more noise (learned that the hard way...).

Noted! :D

Thanks

Just one think about magnets. Probably you got some neodymium magnets and those start to loose power at certain degrees. Just check the weight and force because normal neodymium loose strength (forever) starting at 80C.

http://www.first4magnets.com/tech-centre-i61/information-and-articles-i70/neodymium-magnet-information-i82/how-does-temperature-affect-neodymium-magnets-i91

Just one think about magnets. Probably you got some neodymium magnets and those start to loose power at certain degrees. Just check the weight and force because normal neodymium loose strength (forever) starting at 80C.

http://www.first4magnets.com/tech-centre-i61/information-and-articles-i70/neodymium-magnet-information-i82/how-does-temperature-affect-neodymium-magnets-i91

I did not know that, thanks!

I did indeed buy neodymium magnets on ebay, and one of the listings does indeed mention a 80 degrees max operating temperature, now that I look...

I do not plan to have a heat chamber that hot though, I also have to think about my stepper motors....

Edited by Guest

Your UMO looks great, with the side panels and the magnet idea, love the idea, so I'll make something similar.

Then I'm also interested in the solution that you made with the cross-flow fan. I was wondering if this works good. So I would also like to a cross-flow fan, instead of closing the top of my UMO+.

Could you tell me which cross-flow that you used and if you bought it somewhere online?

That looks very slick. Not so crude as my panels. The magnets are a good idea. Do you envision a small handle to get grip on the panels for opening/removing?

That looks very slick. Not so crude as my panels. The magnets are a good idea. Do you envision a  small handle to get grip on the panels for opening/removing?

I dont have a grip no... since there is no top lid, I simply reach in from the top and pop the panel out.

Your UMO looks great, with the side panels and the magnet idea, love the idea, so I'll make something similar.

Then I'm also interested in the solution that you made with the cross-flow fan. I was wondering if this works good. So I would also like to a cross-flow fan, instead of closing the top of my UMO+.

Could you tell me which cross-flow that you used and if you bought it somewhere online?

I love my crossflow fan... And if you put some thought into how you arrange your prints on the platform in relation to the fan (eg. rotate heavy overhangs towards it, or rotate and place prints with holes, so that the air blows through the holes), you can get great results.

I got mine from a Danish webshop (I live in Denmark), that sell audio hifi equipment (the fan is used to cool massive car audio amplifiers), its an absolutely great fit, but probably dosn't make sense for you to buy from there (also, it was rather expensive), they also don't seem to be selling them anymore.

I saw some similar ones on Conrad:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/560546/Querstromluefter-Motor-rechts-12-V-X-Fan-DF43198-R/?ref=search&rt=search&rb=1

Its a good length and comes in both a left and right motor edition, but with a 6 cm. width you will have trouble fitting it in the side of the printer between the bed and frame... You can probably mod your way out of that..

Edited by Guest

I love my crossflow fan... And if you put some thought into how you arrange your prints on the platform in relation to the fan (eg. rotate heavy overhangs towards it, or rotate and place prints with holes, so that the air blows through the holes), you can get great results.

I got mine from a Danish webshop (I live in Denmark), that sell audio hifi equipment (the fan is used to cool massive car audio amplifiers), its an absolutely great fit, but probably dosn't make sense for you to buy from there (also, it was rather expensive), they also don't seem to be selling them anymore.

I saw some similar ones on Conrad:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/560546/Querstromluefter-Motor-rechts-12-V-X-Fan-DF43198-R/?ref=search&rt=search&rb=1

Its a good length and comes in both a left and right motor edition, but with a 6 cm. width you will have trouble fitting it in the side of the printer between the bed and frame... You can probably mod your way out of that..

Thanks for the reply and good to hear that the crossflow fan works good. I'll look to order one, but the one from Conrad (saw that they also have this on the Belgium website) would indeed need some modifications on the UMO+. So I'll first take a look at how to install it properly and maybe find one that would better fit in the Ultimaker.

Would it be possible to share your drawings for the panels? My Ultimaker will arrive in a couple of days, and this is for sure one of the add-ons I had in mind.

Thanks in advance,

Joost

Make sure your enclosure is fire resistant.

Make sure your enclosure is fire resistant.

nonsense.

I use an acrylic front for my um2 and a curver box to close the top.

In general it doesn't hurt to have smoke detectors in the house....

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Okay...sure just wait till your house burns down..lol

Just kidding

Would it be possible to share your drawings for the panels? My Ultimaker will arrive in a couple of days, and this is for sure one of the add-ons I had in mind.

Thanks in advance,

Joost

Hey!

Sorry for replying so late... Have been afk for a while.

You'll find my drawings here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w67lhx6dagcwd6j/AAC03wAN9LRtcpS0C7vw86cea?dl=0

Theres a ready-to-cut .pdf and also the Adobe illustrator file, if you want to edit around yourself... Have fun :)

hey @tommyph1208, I am re-animating my UMO at the moment and I really love that style!

what kind of paint did you used? do you have a 3d file for the hotend mount? looks like one of those "integrated/minimalistic ones" but two-parted?

thanks!

Edited by ataraxis

On 4/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, ataraxis said:

hey @tommyph1208, I am re-animating my UMO at the moment and I really love that style!

what kind of paint did you used? do you have a 3d file for the hotend mount? looks like one of those "integrated/minimalistic ones" but two-parted?

thanks!

Wow... I have not been in here in ages... Sorry about that, don't know if my input is still useful at all, but can't hurt to answer...
    I used regular glossy white spray paint for all the wood panels.... I found that it won't stick to the burnt sides, so those I base coated with some more matte wall paint I had standing around... I simply rubbed all the edges with a sponge with the wall paint on it. After that the spray paint adhered nicely to the sides as well...
    As with all spray paint work, many thin layers rather than one thick, is key to a good finish.

I no longer remember where I got the E3D mount... I think actually a guy I know modified a model I found on thingiverse.