Unexpected fall of the build plate

fixup

Posted · Unexpected fall of the build plate

UM2 bought last week and always the same problem with different kinds of print, after some layers the build plate drop down too fast in one time, I can hear a "CLOC" and the the build plate switch down to 9 mm, so the extrusion has no more support to print and the print is anarchic.

Have you an idea ?

Big thanks !

This is a new one for me.

Sometimes the build plate gets stuck on the spool holder.

Do you mean it falls 9mm? Or it falls down to the 9mm position? I wish you had a picture or a video. :(

Is there also a 9mm gap in Cura in slice view?

I'm curious, if you have the printer turned off and you raise the platform manually (grab it towards the back and gently pull it up) and then release it. Does it fall down by itself? (maybe give it a little tap)

My random thought (without any sort of basis) was if it could be that the stepper driver was overheating, powering down the stepper for a brief moment, and then the bed falls due to gravity?

I'm curious, if you have the printer turned off and you raise the platform manually (grab it towards the back and gently pull it up) and then release it. Does it fall down by itself? (maybe give it a little tap)

No it never fall down by itself, just during printing.

My random thought (without any sort of basis) was if it could be that the stepper driver was overheating, powering down the stepper for a brief moment, and then the bed falls due to gravity?

No

It looks to me like it skips over several lines of gcode for no apparent reason. And it jumps several layers all at once. It makes kind of a "thunk" sound but I think that's the Z drive running normally. In other words I think it's a software issue and not a hardware issue but I could be wrong.

You can tell which it is by looking at the completed robot very very carefully. If it's happing on non-vertical walls -such as at the shoulder then it shoul be printing the next layer not just much too high off the robot but also more towards the center than expected because the shoulders are sloped inward and it skipped a few layers. Am I being clear? Or if it didn't move inward then maybe it *is* a mechanical problem. But in the video it looks like the Z screw rotated suddenly quite a bit.

Did you try deleting all the files from your SD card? This has only happened to me when my SD card was pretty much full. when this happened to me I was really worried that my printer was done for. I re-installed Cura, Re flashed the firmware and formatted the SD card. I have not had the same problem since (this happened to me in January)

Did you try deleting all the files from your SD card? This has only happened to me when my SD card was pretty much full. when this happened to me I was really worried that my printer was done for. I re-installed Cura, Re flashed the firmware and formatted the SD card. I have not had the same problem since (this happened to me in January)

Yes I tried, same problem, and before that my sd card was not pretty much full.

It looks to me like it skips over several lines of gcode for no apparent reason.  And it jumps several layers all at once.  It makes kind of a "thunk" sound but I think that's the Z drive running normally.  In other words I think it's a software issue and not a hardware issue but I could be wrong.

You can tell which it is by looking at the completed robot very very carefully.  If it's happing on non-vertical walls -such as at the shoulder then it shoul be printing the next layer not just much too high off the robot but also more towards the center than expected because the shoulders are sloped inward and it skipped a few layers.  Am I being clear?  Or if it didn't move inward then maybe it *is* a mechanical problem.  But in the video it looks like the Z screw rotated suddenly quite a bit.

Today i am sending back the printer for maintenance because this problem is very rare.

Today i am sending back the printer for maintenance because this problem is very rare.

That sounds smart. @fixup please indicate what country you live in on your profile settings.

Let us know if your printer works properly when you get it back.

That sounds smart.  @fixup please indicate what country you live in on your profile settings.

Let us know if your printer works properly when you get it back.

OK, France.

Interesting I am having the same Issue. I will try and reload the firmware and maybe try deleting the card information.

Dear Fixup,

Did you manage to resolve the issue? if yes, could you please let me know what was wrong and how was it fixed.

Thank you so much.

What issue are you seeing Labeeb? If your build plate falls suddenly part way through a print it is usually caused by overheating stepper drivers. The fix was to lower the current to the stepper driver which can be done by installing the latest firmware or simply through a gcode.

Thank you so much gr5. I will try that and update you the outcome.

What issue are you seeing Labeeb?  If your build plate falls suddenly part way through a print it is usually caused by overheating stepper drivers.  The fix was to lower the current to the stepper driver which can be done by installing the latest firmware or simply through a gcode.