Clicking on Ultimater 2 Extende while print head is moving along Y-Axis

Posted (edited) · Clicking on Ultimater 2 Extende while print head is moving along Y-Axis

My U2E just started making this loud clicking noise as the print head moves along the Y-Axis.  This is what is sounds like:

It wasn't doing this before.  Although this is the first print I'm doing in .1mm.  The print started off fine too for about 30 minutes.  But then the clicking started.

Wondering if anyone has any insight to this.

This is the CURA Log of my print:

Running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.04\CuraEngine.exe -v -p -s initialSpeedupLayers=4 -s minimalFeedrate=10 -s preSwitchExtruderCode= -s supportXYDistance=700 -s insetXSpeed=50 -s retractionZHop=0 -s extruderOffset[3].X=0 -s extruderOffset[3].Y=0 -s gcodeFlavor=1 -s postSwitchExtruderCode= -s retractionSpeed=40 -s filamentFlow=100 -s infillOverlap=15 -s inset0Speed=50 -s coolHeadLift=0 -s extrusionWidth=400 -s upSkinCount=6 -s initialLayerSpeed=20 -s minimalLayerTime=5 -s infillSpeed=50 -s supportExtruder=-1 -s fanSpeedMax=100 -s supportType=1 -s enableCombing=1 -s fanSpeedMin=100 -s supportZDistance=150 -s supportEverywhere=0 -s filamentDiameter=2850 -s initialLayerThickness=100 -s supportAngle=-1 -s fanFullOnLayerNr=4 -s extruderOffset[1].X=18000 -s extruderOffset[1].Y=0 -s layerThickness=100 -s endCode=M25 ;Stop reading from this point

-s minimalExtrusionBeforeRetraction=20 -s retractionMinimalDistance=1500 -s skirtMinLength=150000 -s objectSink=0 -s retractionAmount=4500 -s skinSpeed=50 -s skirtLineCount=1 -s startCode= -s skirtDistance=3000 -s extruderOffset[2].Y=0 -s extruderOffset[2].X=0 -s perimeterBeforeInfill=0 -s printSpeed=50 -s fixHorrible=1 -s layer0extrusionWidth=400 -s moveSpeed=150 -s supportLineDistance=2666 -s retractionAmountExtruderSwitch=16500 -s sparseInfillLineDistance=2000 -s insetCount=2 -s downSkinCount=6 -s multiVolumeOverlap=150 -g 49674 -s posx=115000 -s posy=112500 $

Cura_SteamEngine version 15.04

Copyright © 2014 David Braam

Edited by Guest

Posted · Clicking on Ultimater 2 Extende while print head is moving along Y-Axis

Hi,

I've never seen something like this, did you identify what clicks?

It sounds like something is hitting something on every move, do you spot anything touching the frame maybe? A rod maybe?

Posted · Clicking on Ultimater 2 Extende while print head is moving along Y-Axis

Thanks - I tightened the grub screw (they were all pretty tight already) and checked the pulleys. The problem is still happening but I did make other observations:

• It doesn't happen when the print head moves slowly - only when it gets up to a decent printing speed.
    • It is definitely NOT the feeder mechanism in the back of the machine.
    • It happens when it passes a specific point of the Z Axis.
    • It might only happen at certain points of the X Axis.

My guess is that its not a pulley or a screw (otherwise it would be more consistent) - it would happen in more places and even at slower speed.

I really wish I could isolate the sound with some better accuracy.

Anything else I can try?

Look carefully at the belts on the pulleys. Does it look like any of them are riding up on the pulley and then snapping back down?

Also, just for clarity, the Z-axis is the bed. The head is X/Y. I'll edit the title of your thread.

Look carefully at the belts on the pulleys. Does it look like any of them are riding up on the pulley and then snapping back down?

Also, just for clarity, the Z-axis is the bed. The head is X/Y. I'll edit the title of your thread.

Thanks for the clarification Robert.

I just checked .. none of the belts are snapping back down or riding up.

I wish there was an object I could print that can isolate the exact motion.

You can always just grab the head and move it by hand. If it's locked in place, power cycle the machine or just turn it off.

So I did just that and I think I isolated when it does it .. at first I thought it wasn't doing it when I moved it powered off / by hand. But if you move it with a little more speed the clicking is present (yay! one step closer).

I'll try to post a video to show what I'm seeing.

Sorry you have to turn up the sound.

I still think it's the belt snapping into the pulley. One of the long or short belts can sometimes ride up the edge of the pulley. Another common sound is caused by the long axes moving - you can test this by touching each one on the side where you can feel it on the outside of the printer. That flat circle at the end of the shaft.

However it could be realted to the bearings in the head. Those two smaller diameter rods that go through the head - they get bent/warped easily. Pop them out of the blocks - just push up/down by putting your thumb on the rod or block and finger on the other and squeeze it out. It pops out easily. Then repeat for other axes. Try sliding these rods through the bearings in the head.

Anyway it doesn't look very serious - I think it will probably print just fine with all this noise. If your rods are warped (try rolling on a flat table) then contact UM support at support.ultimaker.com.

Posted (edited) · Clicking on Ultimater 2 Extende while print head is moving along Y-Axis

So tonight while running a few test prints - I noticed that the rod is pushed out one side quite a bit!

See here:

At one point - it actually came off the ballbearing and was totally off the frame.  I picked it up and placed it back in the frame/ballbearing.

But one side continues to protrude out of the machine.

This might indicate that I have a rod that's slightly bent I think.  If I press it in, it just bounces back.

My guess is that the either the rod is slightly bent.  Or whoever assembled it didn't do such a good job.

See here:

Should I just loosen the grub screws and re-align it?

Edited by Guest

This is from the pulley slipping as it wasn't tight enough.

you can read this guide which will show you how to correct it.

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#protrudingaxes

It can be a good idea to loosen some of the pulleys to allow them to rotate and help the belt seat properly into the pulley so they don't ride up, making sure you tighten all the grub screws really tight again.

This happened to me also. Very easy to fix. Loosen the set screw on the pulley closest to where the rod slips outside the box. Then push the rod in and slide the pulley outward against the wall and retighten the pulley.

Tighten the hell out of that set screw. Make sure you have a 2mm hex wrench or you'll strip it. You want it so tight that the tool twists!

Hi 3D Phreaks

Did you fix your problem.

I have the same issue in the same axis and place

Stewart1

My UMO+ also does tack tack on both axes. But I think my rods are bananas... :(

My UMO+ also does tack tack on both axes. But I think my rods are bananas... :(

Same problem on this Ultimaker original. Every since the beginning (sep 2012). The guys at Protospace didn't know what to make of it, they replaced the bearings, but that didn't change the sound. I'm at the point of taking it apart completely as I am having some other issues too... I'm suspecting banana rods too.

However, with regard to the clicking sounds: I've always suspected them to be caused by the wooden parts moving ever so slightly within the lasercut slots: the frame is constructed in a way that it enhances sound (acoustic guitar anyone? ;-)), so that might have to do with it?

Edited by Guest

Hmm it does it all the time now .. on every print include ones that was working previously.

:-(

Thoughts?

You try to see if there is anything touching the rod from within the black housing the rod goes into.

I also have the same problem with my Ultimaker 2. You can check out my topic here: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17666-clicking-sound-as-the-printer-head-moves

Same problem on this Ultimaker original. Every since the beginning (sep 2012). (...) I'm suspecting banana rods too.

However, with regard to the clicking sounds: I've always suspected them to be caused by the wooden parts moving ever so slightly within the lasercut slots (...)

To check how off-center my pulleys were I took the complete x-y gantry apart and after measuring the puleys put it back together again (as I was waiting for a GT2 pulley/belt order from China to be shipped). This strangely also solved my clicking problem...

Not an outcome you would want as I still can't pinpoint the exacty cause... but rebuilding the gantry and maybe swapping around some pulleys can certainly fix the problem.

Maybe a set screw was loose or a belt tooth wasn't hitting the pulley correctly?