Latest firmware with 15.06 not updating my UM2

Phalconheart

Posted (edited) · Latest firmware with 15.06 not updating my UM2

I've been trying to update my firmware using Cura 15.06 using:

>Extentions>Firmware>Udate Firmware

but nothing happens other than the progress dialogue box opens saying that "this may take a while" but I've left it going for over 5 hours and no progress bar moves.

When I close it and close Cura, I get a pop up titles Erros in 'Cura.exe.' with the message "See the logfile 'C:\...\Cura.log' for details". Funny thing is, I went there and there isn't any "Cura.log" file at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

edit. I read 15.02 in the post and I see now that you wrote 15.06 in the title. I'll have to check the proper setting in .06.

edit2: Ok, doesn't look like that setting is added yet to the new cura... I don't really think anything has changed much in the firmware between 15.04 and 15.06 so if you really need to update, go with the "old" version of cura.

Have you installed the Arduino drivers? It's a a pre-selected option during the installation of cura.

Does it show up in the Device Manager in Windows? You should find it under the Ports section and there will be a number there showing which port it's emulating. Try selecting this number in the communication settings via "Machine->Machine settings" and then try updating again.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Latest firmware with 15.06 not updating my UM2

I have the exact same problem. I checked device manager and the machine is showing as Arduino Mega 2560 (COM4). Troubleshooting from earlier versions suggested putting in the COM port, but I can't find any such setting in this version of Cura.

Hi IRobertl,

Thanks for pointing out my typ-o. I did mean 15.06 (the latest at this point). I do remember reading somewhere during installation that in order to use some of the features of the new Cura, we would have to update our firmware no?

Yes I've installed the drivers during initial installation and it does show up in my device manageer on COM4.

5a330f3d3b9ac_devicemanagercapture.thumb.jpg.c79147bc4784a3353a8f32638d10b441.jpg

See capture.

The new Cura doesn't have the "Machine->Machine settings" option that you mentioned. It only has "Machine>Configure Printers" which doesn't have an option to specify a COM port.

The printer does seem to be plugged in properly because when I start Cura while it's plugged, the printer "blinks" on and off.

thanks,

5a330f3d3b9ac_devicemanagercapture.thumb.jpg.c79147bc4784a3353a8f32638d10b441.jpg

Edited by Guest

Would be interested in this also, have updated to 15.04 from .02 but not able to go to 15.06. Install is fine on the PC but firmware just sits and seems to do nothing.

I waited just over an hour before aborting, don't suppose there is any relationship to older versions of the UM2, mine was one of the very early machines.

thanks

I met this problem too.

I'm using 15.02 before.

After installing 15.06.01, can't update firmware.

Just get some error log from Cura.log:

Exception in thread Thread-10:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\avr_isp\stk500v2.py", line 29, in connect

self.serial = Serial(str(port), speed, timeout=1, writeTimeout=10000)

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 38, in __init__

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py", line 282, in __init__

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 66, in open

serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'COM3': PermissionError(13, 'Access Denied', None, 5)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\threading.py", line 921, in _bootstrap_inner

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\threading.py", line 869, in run

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\PrinterConnection.py", line 140, in _updateFirmware

programmer.connect(self._serial_port)

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\avr_isp\stk500v2.py", line 31, in connect

raise ispBase.IspError("Failed to open serial port")

USBPrinting.avr_isp.ispBase.IspError: 'Failed to open serial port'

Exception in thread Thread-7:

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\threading.py", line 921, in _bootstrap_inner

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\threading.py", line 869, in run

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\PrinterConnection.py", line 140, in _updateFirmware

programmer.connect(self._serial_port)

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\avr_isp\stk500v2.py", line 46, in connect

if self.sendMessage([0x10, 0xc8, 0x64, 0x19, 0x20, 0x00, 0x53, 0x03, 0xac, 0x53, 0x00, 0x00]) != [0x10, 0x00]:

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\avr_isp\stk500v2.py", line 143, in sendMessage

return self.recvMessage()

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\plugins\USBPrinting\avr_isp\stk500v2.py", line 151, in recvMessage

raise ispBase.IspError("Timeout")

USBPrinting.avr_isp.ispBase.IspError: 'Timeout'

It's just COM3 according Device Manager.

I ran cura.exe with administrator privilege.

I "may" have found a workaround but I'm not sure how to check the firmware version running on my UM2.

I started Cura 15.02.1 which was my previous version then I selected "install custom firmware" from the menu. I then pointed to the firmware file:

\Cura_15.06.01\resources\firmware\MarlinUltimaker2.hex

I assume this is the firmware file it would have installed if it would have worked in the new Cura. The installation process went fine. I will check to see if my UM2 works fine later tonight.

• Like 2

I "may" have found a workaround but I'm not sure how to check the firmware version running on my UM2.

I started Cura 15.02.1 which was my previous version then I selected "install custom firmware" from the menu. I then pointed to the firmware file:

\Cura_15.06.01\resources\firmware\MarlinUltimaker2.hex

I assume this is the firmware file it would have installed if it would have worked in the new Cura. The installation process went fine. I will check to see if my UM2 works fine later tonight.

You are clever!

I think this will work.

Could you make a github issue about this (or check if there already is one)? This helps keeping track of issues.

Could you make a github issue about this (or check if there already is one)? This helps keeping track of issues.

Someone already post the issue here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/122

I'm not sure what a "github issue"is. Was that directed at me?

By the way, my workaround really seemed to work fine. I don't seem to be experiencing any issues since I've update the firmware using the workaround.

I had the same problem with 15.06.01 but the latest 15.06.02 worked just fine.

The source code is hosted at github, which also has a rudimentary issue tracker (Sort of a forum). You can find it at https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues

We fixed quite a bit in the latest release, so always check if you have the most up to date version.