Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Baseline

Studio Scale Imperial Star Destroyer

I am very pleased to be given the opportunity to publicly reveal our current project. We have been commissioned to produce a studio scale Imperial Star Destroyer to coincide with the upcoming release of Rogue One which is scheduled for release this coming December.

Our Patrons wish to, at least for the time being, remain anonymous however they have graciously given us permission to reveal publicly our project. We wanted to wait until we reached an important milestone that was far enough along to demonstrate the size and scope of this project.

This is a mixed media project using both our Ultimaker 2+ Extended and our X-Carve with J-Tech Photonics 3.8W laser.

We decided at the outset to tackle perhaps the most difficult section first the drive section and so far we are very pleased with the results we are getting from our process.

drive_section_milestone.thumb.jpg.566e7dca4c1432e6c1d50eaf72a9d627.jpgBP-Drive-Section-Structure-Side--WIP.thumb.jpg.4f240c77fb8e09a91537cafc06a071d3.jpgBP-Drive-Section-Structure-WIP.thumb.jpg.42726b23728daa370381f0a722f38b4f.jpgBP-Drive-Section-Assembly-WIP.thumb.jpg.686d1a1dbdbe3037452e1ccdc565245b.jpg

drive_section_milestone.thumb.jpg.566e7dca4c1432e6c1d50eaf72a9d627.jpg

BP-Drive-Section-Structure-Side--WIP.thumb.jpg.4f240c77fb8e09a91537cafc06a071d3.jpg

BP-Drive-Section-Structure-WIP.thumb.jpg.42726b23728daa370381f0a722f38b4f.jpg

BP-Drive-Section-Assembly-WIP.thumb.jpg.686d1a1dbdbe3037452e1ccdc565245b.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 10

Greetings,

Just a quick update with some progress on the project, we made a temporary stand to hold the drive section until it is ready to be married to the main hull section.

BP-Drive-Section-Stand.thumb.jpg.7848c284f7e20dd341975e1059ed4a0b.jpg

We have been working on ventral sections of the ship which includes the two landing bays and the reactor dome section seen here.

BP-Reactor-Section-WIP.thumb.jpg.f98e7b4e5cb6c13e04f7ff9461054a6b.jpg

We have also completed the iconic head section seen in the following pics.

BP-Head-Section-left-ISO-WIP.thumb.jpg.894d40f392760ae1abf4c58bdd83d2de.jpgBP-Head-Section-right-WIP.thumb.jpg.e26f480351e2ec575943758ecff4346a.jpgBP-Head-Section-WIP.thumb.jpg.8cc5dcb7bbff936c4c8f6a64f51f5e25.jpg

We will continue to show the progress on our project here as to the availability of the files used to create it I can not say for certain if we would release them or not.

BP-Drive-Section-Stand.thumb.jpg.7848c284f7e20dd341975e1059ed4a0b.jpg

BP-Reactor-Section-WIP.thumb.jpg.f98e7b4e5cb6c13e04f7ff9461054a6b.jpg

BP-Head-Section-left-ISO-WIP.thumb.jpg.894d40f392760ae1abf4c58bdd83d2de.jpg

BP-Head-Section-right-WIP.thumb.jpg.e26f480351e2ec575943758ecff4346a.jpg

BP-Head-Section-WIP.thumb.jpg.8cc5dcb7bbff936c4c8f6a64f51f5e25.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

Greetings,

Indeed everything we have shown has been printed on our 2+ Extended using a 4mm nozzle and mostly default settings in Cura. Those support columns are about 1mm in diameter, we discovered the limits of printing an unsupported column using a 4mm nozzle. Although it is not apparent from the pics these columns have some quality issues and are in the process of being replaced with 1mm thin walled brass tubing.  That being said they are very close to being good enough.

{Emperors Voice] "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen".

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Just make sure you never leave it sitting in the sun, in a hot car, or in hot studio spot-lights. The model will not time-warp, but it may dimension-warp.  :)

(Don't ask me how I know...)

I hope you didn't leave a 2 meter sized print in your hot car? :O
  • Like 3

Just make sure you never leave it sitting in the sun, in a hot car, or in hot studio spot-lights. The model will not time-warp, but it may dimension-warp.  :)

(Don't ask me how I know...)

I hope you didn't leave a 2 meter sized print in your hot car? :O

No, it was an experimental dental appliance, a sort of spoon or fork on which you can put silicone paste and then make an impression of the teeth. About 12cm long, 5 cm wide, and 3 to 6mm thick. But even that warped badly on a mild spring day, not even summer. And then it was in a silver (light reflecting) car, not even a black one...

Also a few clamps warped badly. Heat treating these parts in an oven helps a bit, but not enough.

So I would be *very* careful when transporting anything bigger, that took weeks or months to make.

• Like 1

We appreciate your kind comments and support. 

There will indeed be post processing and a full paint job and lighting kit out. I do not know how much it weighs currently but there are 9 - 1Kg empty spools and over a dozen partially empty spools so far.

I am most fortunate as my commander is 100% supportive of everything I do and finds this particular project fascinating.

• Like 3