Did anyone try the new Advanced 3D Printing Kit?

avogra

Posted · Did anyone try the new Advanced 3D Printing Kit?

I just stumbled over the new Advanced 3D Printing Kit and wondered if anyone has already tried it? I don't really need the door and the replacement couplers and nozzles, but those adhesion sheets look interesting. They seem to be quite different from the usual suspects (Buildtak etc.). When you look on the second page "How to apply the adhesion sheets" those sheets seem to be very flexible and they tell you to wet the glas plate before attaching the sheets and then to dry it later.

@SandervG : Does Ultimaker offer those sheets separately? >100€ just to try the sheets is a bit too much for me but I would gladly buy the sheets without nozzles, couplers and door.

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Did anyone try the new Advanced 3D Printing Kit?

+1 I really want to test that stickers also.

Also I will like to know about the bubbles the photo shows, I wonder if that affects the print or if they go away naturally.

Me too I don't need couplers/nozzle (because I use 1.75) and the door for my umo+ doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Guest

Hi Neo, further down on the page it tells you to sweep the bubbles and water to the perimeter of the bed. If there are any bubbles left after doing so, we recommend to use a needle to pop the air.

Currently, we do not sell them separately. I am not aware of any plans of doing so, but let me double check for you! :)

• Like 1

That would a pity really! And even if I buy the set.. When I have used up the sheets, I will have a bunch of spare front doors some time :p Doesn't sound sensible to me ;)

I have tried the sheets! It's quite awesome so far. I probably should have read the instructions because I didn't use water... I also have a ton of air bubbles.

I was having trouble getting Nylon Carbon fiber to stick to the bed surface, I tried everything including hairspray, gluestick, full enclosure and each time it would warp enough to pull itself off of the bed and cause the whole print to fail. With the sheets, it stick on well. The part warped a bit (maybe 1/3 of what it was warping on glass + glue) but the sheet held on and I was able to complete and remove the print without damaging the sheet. I printed the same part in the same area and it looks like it's got some longevity as I didn't damage the sheet. It has a good balance of hold vs. release properties. Overall quite impressed, will test with more of the annoying warpy materials.

I'm quite happy it comes with a door + nozzles. But I agree the option to buy it separately should be there.

• Like 2

I don't see the logic behind selling the sheets as a kit only.

Once you used the 25 sheets, should you buy another complete kit?

What will you do with the ton of doors?

Edited by Guest

Buy an Ultimaker printer for each. ;)

Seriously, I agree that the sheets should be available alone (maybe as a pack of 25 or 50 sheets).

I think buying a spare glass panel would also be good with this kit, ( I just happen to have one )

This way you can have one set up with the adhesive sheet on it and the other without. Then you can just swap out the glass if you want to print TPU etc so you don't waste a sheet.

• Like 1

I don't see the logic behind selling the sheets as a kit only.

Once you used the 25 sheets, should you buy another complete kit?

What will you do with the ton of doors?

I have a general feeling that 25 sheets will last you a LONG time. They certainly aren't just a 1 shot deal. By then maybe they will offer them as separate packs. I think the idea for this is that the people looking to use the Engineering materials like PC and Nylon have everything they need.

It's also a pretty good deal all around. You get two nozzles, two TFMs which is around 70 bucks already. (canadian) And 25 sheets + door for like 50 more dollars.

@Dim3nsioneer Sure thing, will keep you updated!

I think buying a spare glass panel would also be good with this kit, ( I just happen to have one )

This way you can have one set up with the adhesive sheet on it and the other without. Then you can just swap out the glass if you want to print TPU etc so you don't waste a sheet.

I did the same thing, but I am testing the PrintInZ skin. This was good because PrintInZ does not like polycarbonate! :D

Also, my old glass was slightly warped and missing a chunk (either XT or Nylon's fault, can't remember), so I wanted a new glass anyway.

But yes, I recommend having a second glass plate when you start playing with sheets and other special adhesion techniques. I really want to try the Ultimaker sheets too, but I don't need the whole kit. Oh well, got Buildtak to test first anyway.

@Valcrow: Please keep up posted on your experiences! :)

I came across this option when I was planning on going the PEI route for my (already modded) UMO with heated bed.

But >€100 is way too steep compared to a (more permanent?) €40 PEI solution...

So definitely: offering the sheets separately would be on a lot of wishlists I imagine, especially users of the UMO/UMO+. The rest of the stuff in the kit is mostly useless for UMO.

Alternatively, the company could just disclose what the sheet material actually is made of and where they got it from.

The open source mindset, remember? ;)

Edited by Guest

Ohhh Kay, so I might have spoken too soon, but I tried straight uncarbonfibered nylon and it destroyed part of the sheet that it was printed on. I guess that's kind of a good and bad thing. I had trouble with this nylon not sticking to anything before...

It was basically a 1 line sqiggle with a 2 line brim, so not much surface area and it still stuck like it was crazy glued on. The good news is that there was no warping. The bad news is that there was absolutely no way to save the sheet.

Now I wonder if the warping of the previous print actually helped save the sheet to some degree... will test more.

Maybe the trick with the freezer works too for the sheets?

Maybe the trick with the freezer works too for the sheets?

It works with PrintInZ Skin. Don't see why it would not work in principle for anything. I am not expert though.

this may be a stupid question. but what side goes down??? sticky or smooth?

this may be a stupid question. but what side goes down??? sticky or smooth?

You stick it to the glass, so sticky side down

Ok, so we used the sheets a bit more, and while it was REALLY awesome for warping Nylon, it's not so good for Polycarb, PLA, or basically anything that sticks somewhat well to glass. It just ends up as a permanent fixture to the print... If you wanted something to stick well, this would be the tool to use, but a little TOO well for some applications.

If it sticks too well, it comes off with your print, and the adhesive stays on the glass which then needs to be soaked in water for a little while until you can scrape it off. Then you need to scrape it off your print as well.

@Valcrow maybe it could be used on one side and flip the glass when using Pla/Polyc so the sticker stays there for other day?

Of course it would need to remove the heat sticker to keep the level.

Also make sure you have no air bubbles.

The heat sticker actually indicated the best adhesive surface of your bed.

It has two different sides: a hydrophilic and a hydrophobic side. The hydrophilic side is suitable for printing on, this is indicated with the warning sticker. Printing on the other side may affect your bed adhesion. So it could be an idea to put it on the other side, where there is no sticker?

If you have lost your sticker, you can check which side is which by putting some water on the plate. On the hydrophilic side the water sticks together, whereas on the hydrophobic side the water disperses.

• Like 3

Oh @sandervg really the glass is different one side or the other? I never noticed any difference since I turned quite a few on this almost 2 years (specially because my first days I didn't give my glass beds as much love as they need and I scratched or chipped them) Never noticed any difference :O

But if you stick it on the 'no so good side' then the user also should remove the sticker so it doesn't affect level right?

I guess so. I am also not entirely sure if it has always been like this, I learned it not too long ago. But that is the case now. But depending on what material you print with, I can imagine heat and possible an adhesive will make for some good bed adhesion.

So that maybe why I have had trouble with adhesion lately. The sticker came off mine.

Thanks for the info, it would be good to have this explained on some of the guides.

The sticker is mentioned but it's not mentioned why.