Upgrade Path for Ultimaker 2+

rsghowellnj

Posted · Upgrade Path for Ultimaker 2+

It's not that we don't want to make one, but it will be;

a. Extremely expensive per upgrade.

b. Hard to install

c. Cost a ton of development (making a. even more expensive)

I recently got an Ultimaker 2+, it cost approx 1900 euro, I have only used a couple of rolls of filament so far, now the 3 is out, it looks fantastic but will I throw away my 1900 investment and spend another 3000 euro for the new features? not likely.

There should have been an upgrade path or trade-in option in my opinion

I think this will cause some customer dissatisfaction, will limit upsell and the high-end price may slow new user adoption

I am a bit disappointed to be honest, not quite what I expected from a company that I saw as really innovative and customer aware

• Like 1

I am in the same exact situation and that is why I was truly hoping for an upgrade path as Ultimaker provided others to go from the Ultimaker 2 to the Ultimaker 2+. I too made a serious investment in the Ultimaker 2+ and have not used it many times and would have like to see me be able to maintain my investment. Please Ultimaker reconsider and offer an upgrade option.

Your, and my, investments are safe. The UM2+ in an amazing machine. The UM2+ and the UM3 are in completely different categories of machines and price.

I don't think Ultimaker is replacing the UM2+ with the UM3 but just adding an additional printer to their lineup.

It is just about 3 month that I bought an ultimaker 2+ 3D printer, but now I realize that I had to wait.

I already asked to ultimaker whether they have an update to my printer and the answer was this:

Sorry! we won't be able to offer an upgrade kit for the Ultimaker 2 series, as too many parts have been changed between the two models.

How reliable would to add a dual extrusion with ulticretr http://ulti.creatr.it/en/index.html ? Can I invest $500 us for this? what about the price of water soluble PVA?

It is just about 3 month that I bought an ultimaker 2+ 3D printer, but now I realize that I had to wait.

I already asked to ultimaker whether they have an update to my printer and the answer was this:

Sorry! we won't be able to offer an upgrade kit for the Ultimaker 2 series, as too many parts have been changed between the two models.

How reliable would to add a dual extrusion with ulticretr http://ulti.creatr.it/en/index.html ? Can I invest $500 us for this? what about the price of water soluble PVA?

In my view UltiCreatr are not a reliable company. Sent them email, no response. They stopped posting about their product. Strange. And I have read of difficulties other users have with them. I would not recommend to do business with them.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Upgrade Path for Ultimaker 2+

Hi @Dana, @rsghowellnj and @ernestobreton, thank you for your posts.

I think the overall response you have received is pretty accurate, in no way will your purchase of an Ultimaker 2+ will become obsolete or outdated. Both machines will continue to operate next to each other, both offering a different set of features for a different type of users. And both will continue to receive support from Ultimaker.

So does the Ultimaker Original+ for that matter.

But maybe, you do need dual extrusion or want to take advantage of the connectivity the Ultimaker 3 offers. In that case we could look into the possibilities together with you. Did you buy your Ultimaker 2+ after September 15th? At Ultimaker customer satisfaction is very important to us, so within reasonable terms I am pretty sure there are still options to explore. If you are open to this I would like to ask if you could send me a DM with the following.

A colleague will come back with you and we can go from there;

Your contact details:

What model of Ultimaker do you have now:

When did you buy it:

Where did you buy it:

About the solution Creatr offers, I have not heard any positive feedback from it so I would definitely not recommend that. If you are interested in doing some handy work yourself, have you looked at this modification?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

It's not that we don't want to make one, but it will be;

a. Extremely expensive per upgrade.

b. Hard to install

c. Cost a ton of development (making a. even more expensive)

Hallo nallath,

I understand your point (of Ultimaker point) I have an UM2+ en is really an amazing machine, I do not need an UM3 upgrade but... what I need en I think dat it would not be very expensive  is an official Ultimaker dual extrusion kit for  UM2+. It would be great.

I understand your point (of Ultimaker point) I have an UM2+ en is really an amazing machine, I do not need an UM3 upgrade but... what I need en I think dat it would not be very expensive  is an official Ultimaker dual extrusion kit for  UM2+. It would be great.

An official UM2+ dual extrusion kit won't happen. We simply won't release something if it isn't up to our standards. We've tried (and failed) to make a upgrade kit that meets our standards.

You can order an extruder train worth of spare parts and mess around yourself, but be forwarned; it's not going to be easy to get it right.

Hi @Dana, @rsghowellnj and @ernestobreton, thank you for your posts.

I think the overall response you have received is pretty accurate, in no way will your purchase of an Ultimaker 2+ will become obsolete or outdated. Both machines will continue to operate next to each other, both offering a different set of features for a different type of users. And both will continue to receive support from Ultimaker.

So does the Ultimaker Original+ for that matter.

But maybe, you do need dual extrusion or want to take advantage of the connectivity the Ultimaker 3 offers. In that case we could look into the possibilities together with you. Did you buy your Ultimaker 2+ after September 15th? At Ultimaker customer satisfaction is very important to us, so within reasonable terms I am pretty sure there are still options to explore. If you are open to this I would like to ask if you could send me a DM with the following.

A colleague will come back with you and we can go from there;

Your contact details:

When did you buy it:

Where did you buy it:

About the solution Creatr offers, I have not heard any positive feedback from it so I would definitely not recommend that. If you are interested in doing some handy work yourself, have you looked at this modification?

Hi Sander, can I know more about it?  

I bought my UM2+E in 29-09-16 but if I have a chance to exchange to an U3, I can think about it.

Sidney

Hi Sidney,

Sure! Since you have already read my previous message I'll keep it short.

Could you send me a DM with the following information? A colleague will get back with you and we can look for a reasonable solution together.

Your contact details:

When did you buy it:

Where did you buy it:

Posted (edited) · Upgrade Path for Ultimaker 2+

- censored due to personal information -

Edited by SandervG

- censored due to personal information -

If you click my name, you will be redirected to my profile on the forums. You will see a button which says, send message. Could you send me this information in a direct message? I would prefer to receive it there, so I will have all information in the same place and I will be able to keep an overview. Thank you!