Camera and Ethernet LAN Support

a2hill

Posted · Camera and Ethernet LAN Support

Just picked up an UM3 today, currently running my first print and wanted to watch the video of the print. After checking out Daid's post on remote access I found the camera stream URL (http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:8080/?action=stream) however I get an 'Error Connection Refused' from my browser when I try to access it. [br][/br]

[br][/br]

After a quick nmap I can see that port 8080 is not open (only port 80 is). I also tried connecting using an ethernet cord however the amber light on the ethernet port just intermittently flashes and the settings menu says disconnected. [br][/br]

[br][/br]

I am on firmware 3.4.12.20161017, any advice?

I think you need to be on developer mode to see the camera directly, probably for secury reasons doesn't openly stream all the time otherwise. I think is on maintenance to enable it? Sorry just turned mine off to go sleep.

I was able to get the ethernet lan connected after disabling wifi. Thanks! [br]

[br]

I've enabled developer mode and did a port scan and now see that port 22 is open for ssh (does anyone know what the username and password are?), however I'm still not seeing a port open 8080 for the camera stream.

Not sure. Does Cura after connecting it show the camera?

Cura uses the ?action=snapshot but does use 8080.

Not sure. Does Cura after connecting it show the camera?

No there is no camera feed in Cura. Also I've tried ?action=snapshot as well but since port 8080 isn't open it does not connect

That's weird. It should work. Try to update the firmware again to see if is a temporary bug. The camera streaming service is one of the first to open when the sustem boot up.

I updated to the 'Testing' firmware with the same results. I've since switched back and the only ports I see open are 80 and 22. After reading today's remote access post and seeing that network settings are different when the printer is in hotspot mode I also tried that to no avail. Can I get ssh credentials so I can look at some logs?

On developer mode you can dump the logs to the usb. Is much more effective and if some service isn't loading it should be there.

Posted (edited) · Camera and Ethernet LAN Support

t port 22 is open for ssh (does anyone know what the username and password are?),

root / ultimaker

Edited by Guest

It looks like v4L2 is failing to load. From the USB logs:[/br]

[/br]

Full logs: http://pastebin.com/7bKFkbrN[/br]

[/br]

Hostnamenotset systemd[1]: Starting mjpg-streamer, Webcam streaming for all...Hostnamenotset systemd[1]: Started mjpg-streamer, Webcam streaming for all.Hostnamenotset systemd[1]: Starting Login Service...Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: starting applicationHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: MJPG Streamer Version.: 2.0Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG Streamer Version.: 2.0Hostnamenotset systemd[1]: Started getty on tty2-tty6 if dbus and logind are not available.Hostnamenotset systemd[1]: Starting Griffin camera service...Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: Using V4L2 device.: /dev/video0Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: Desired Resolution: 800 x 600Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: Frames Per Second.: not limitedHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: Format............: JPEGHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: TV-Norm...........: DEFAULTHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: MJPG-streamer [167]: init_VideoIn failedHostnamenotset net.agent[171]: ERROR: /sbin/ifup not found. You need to install the ifupdown package.Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: i: Using V4L2 device.: /dev/video0Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: i: Desired Resolution: 800 x 600Hostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: i: Frames Per Second.: not limitedHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: i: Format............: JPEGHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: i: TV-Norm...........: DEFAULTHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: ERROR opening V4L interface: No such file or directoryHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatalHostnamenotset mjpg-streamer[167]: i: init_VideoIn failed

Sure enough when I run an ls /dev/video0:

root@ultimakersystem-ccbdd300023e:~# ls /dev/video0ls: cannot access /dev/video0: No such file or directory

Edited by Guest
    Forgot some stuff

Developer mode is NOT required for the camera stream.

The camera API isn't finalized yet, so that why I didn't list it yet. But you should be able to access the stream trough the listed URL until then.

What is most likely the problem, your camera isn't working. Maybe it unplugged itself during transport, maybe the cable itself was faulty to begin with? Not all beta machines went trough the same QC process. And thus a faulty camera could just be the case.

• Like 1

Developer mode is NOT required for the camera stream.

The camera API isn't finalized yet, so that why I didn't list it yet. But you should be able to access the stream trough the listed URL until then.

What is most likely the problem, your camera isn't working. Maybe it unplugged itself during transport, maybe the cable itself was faulty to begin with? Not all beta machines went trough the same QC process. And thus a faulty camera could just be the case.

Good to know, thanks. Just a note though, this is not a beta machine it was purchased last week through MatterHackers in Orange County. I guess I'll be contacting them for support.

So after taking the camera housing off, the usb cable was in fact unplugged. Plugged it back in and booted it up and everything works!

• Like 1

Be sure to mention the serial number to them, we are currently tracking all production quality issues and want to know how/when they are produced.

(Odd that you have one, everyone in the office is telling me shipping happens in November...)

Be sure to mention the serial number to them, we are currently tracking all production quality issues and want to know how/when they are produced.

(Odd that you have one, everyone in the office is telling me shipping happens in November...)

Not so odd, I just got my Ultimaker 3 today I ordered it from Dynamism a couple of days ago.  Hopefully I didn't didn't a beta unit :p

The camera capture worked very easily per the instructions in this post!

I used the Free version of Debut(link)to capture video at a very high quality and now can remote in from anywhere.

Then connect to a network stream by entering your IP without a username and password:

http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8080/?action=stream

I have my printer set in developer mode as well. Not sure if this is required but it allowed us to connect.

I have my printer set in developer mode as well. Not sure if this is required but it allowed us to connect.

No, this is not required for the camera stream to be available.

Hi, I'm not able to configure the UM3 camera like a standard IP camera (Foscam). I'm using a chrome extension to display my Foscam cameras but UM3 is only available as a web page ?

Hi, I'm not able to configure the UM3 camera like a standard IP camera (Foscam). I'm using a chrome extension to display my Foscam cameras but UM3 is only available as a web page ?

It's a pretty standard MJPG stream, I'm pretty sure just about anything can view it. (A browser is just simple)

It's a pretty standard MJPG stream, I'm pretty sure just about anything can view it. (A browser is just simple)

Yes, http browser can read it. There is no "rtsp" ?

It works good with the Android app called "TinyCamFree" : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alexvas.dvr

I can use an external IP when I'm not in the wifi network. We can't do this yet with the Ultimaker app.

Edited by Guest

Yes, http browser can read it. There is no "rtsp" ?

We are using mjpg-streamer, which does as an rtsp output option. However, we haven't tested or enabled this.

If you are feeling experimental, you can enter developer mode, and edit the "/etc/systemd/system/mjpg-streamer.service" file, and add:

-o "output_rtsp.so"

To the startup, that might cause rtsp to work.

However, a quick google shows that this work on implementing rtsp might not be completed and thus it might not work.