Cura positions part below the build surface

GrimJeeper91

Posted · Cura positions part below the build surface

With quite a few files Cura places the part with the bottom of the part protruding below the build plate by about 0.060 inches. Of course building this way results in my part being too thin. All efforts to orient the part correctly fail. What is going on?

FYI, UM2 & Cura 2.3.

Yes, the option to "Automatically drop models to the build plate" is checked. I don't have this issue with all models, maybe 30% of them. For those 30% I need to use another slicer to prepare the output file.

Try Cura 2.4

If that doesn't help, please provide an STL which fails so that we can reproduce the problem.

The project file would even be better (cura 2.4 or up only)

I too have this problem. Super frustrating...

I have to shut off the "automatically move parts to the build plate" check box in preferences/general pulldown bes=causse it wont let me adjust it when its checked. Then I micro adjust the .STL in the Z direction. Thank goodness there is a shadow where the part intersects the build plate surface in the software. This happens on more than 75% of my parts. I dont know why this happens, but I wouldn't be stunned if it had something to do with the solidworks SLT software. Plenty of settings in there...

The shadow is not actually the place where the object intersects with the build plate. Its a bit above the build plate.

I’ve just begun having this issue this morning with Cura 4.8

On a deadline and this is a huge issue.  Objects are loading slightly under build plate.  When rotating view, bottom of objects appear in blue, not red.  Printer then reads build plate too low and cannot extrude.  Almost broke the glass

Please help!!!

"Preferences - General - Automatically drop models to the build plate" should be checked.

If you still have the problem - uncheck the box and then select your model.  The top tool on the left is the movement tool.  Make Z = 0.

I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Iv tried every recommendation. Iv already verified z axis is at 0, iv done automatically drop models didn't fix it. I'm so beyond frustrated with this. Please if anyone can help. It's doing this with every model I have uploaded. Where the white line is on the model won't print. Iv tried around 50 different files from different sources. 

20230117_175707.jpg

It's not because you see a space at the bottom of your part in the SolidView, that there is not the right path in the cutting result.  

image.thumb.png.e44abaa395409b0a1a99e9abaa6fa993.png

image.thumb.png.ad0772d7ff1a12c92fd02d1cfd5be053.png

@chris413 LotMaxx is one of the companies that has it's own fork of Cura.  Are you using "UltiMaker" Cura, or "LotMaxx" Cura?

I've installed a LotMaxx Shark but I can't duplicate the problem in UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1.  The "Help | About..." command should tell you the Cura version you are using.

Load a model and use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.

Hi @chris413

Did you try the plugin, “Auto Orientation”?

Works here great.

Kind regards,

Tom

@GregValiant its doing it on both versions the pic provide is on ultimaker cura.

@Cuq the white line is the amount of the model under the build plate. 

@TomEm just downloaded the plugin Auto orientation restarted the program reuploaded the file. there was no change.  

I just loaded your project file and sliced it and it looks fine to me.  It does not stick below the build plate.

Try the following 3 features to look around better:

right click drag to orbit around the view

shift right click drag to move up/down and get your eye to the build plate plane

scroll to zoom in and out

1969171804_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1815-51-04.thumb.png.5386d8d72b953ddc85023e0a0873aeae.png

Oh - I get the white line also.  I don't know what that is - never noticed before - I don't think it matters.  I think you can ignore it.  The part is flush with the plate.  When I orbited a little lower so the horizon was a line, everything, including the white line, was above the build plate.  It looks fine to me.

1813767706_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1815-54-13.thumb.png.294c4cf3585bd6842820c9ec04fc133d.png

I just looked at some other projects I've sliced and printed in the past and they have a line there as well but the first one I checked had a purple line.  I never noticed that before.  I don't think you should worry about it.

Posted (edited) · Cura positions part below the build surface

@gr5 on the bottom of the file is it showing red for you ? It is for me an when I printed it, it did not print the section of white. I tested on several different files. One with feet and they didn't print. 

Edited by chris413

Well you need to post a project file that has a problem.  The one you posted was fine.  The white line means nothing as far as I can tell.  Use those tools I mentioned above and zoom in on a spot and switch modes and you can see it prints the bottom layer perfectly.  It's hard to show with 2 photos - easier if you switch between prepar and preview modes.  You can't tell but trust me - it prints the bottom layer just fine.

506336843_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1816-04-01.png.8203f3663e2fcee92663ec7356dd76ee.png558823130_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1816-03-48.png.59d07acd32735db0f6f3e948eb0bf9c8.png

@gr5 here is another file for you to look at this is a ear gauge. when printed it only printed the section above the line. 

LSC10S_10 mm gauge.3mf

20230118_140501.jpg

20230118_140510.jpg