UM2 head on UMO

Posted (edited) · UM2 head on UMO

We have something very interesting :)

We've made the UM2 firmware compatible with the UMO with RepRap Discount LCD.

More info coming soon!

A big thanks to LowiekVDS for rewriting the firmware.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted (edited) · UM2 head on UMO

More info coming soon!

That's nice! Also it would allow to um2 users to use the cheap lcd screens instead of the 80€+ um2 screen.

Great job!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · UM2 head on UMO

More info coming soon!

That's nice! Also it would allow to um2 users to use the cheap lcd screens instead of the 80€+ um2 screen.

Great job!

Thanks, Yes indeed!

Stay tuned, and get the display for your UMO! We will publish the firmware online :p

• Like 1

Posted · UM2 head on UMO

@Siebet

More info coming soon!

That is great indeed. One quick question. I am not familiar with the RepRap Discount LCD (googling it looks like it is an 128x64 dot matrix display. And here is my question, I assume I do not need the controller for such a board if I already have an ulticontroller. So would your port work with an umo (1.5.3) and an ulticontroller, where an 128x64 dot matrix is connected?

If so that lcd as an example would be suitable.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/arduino-compatible-128x64-dot-matrix-lcd-display-module/p/XC4617

Thanks again and cheers

• Like 1

Posted · UM2 head on UMO

@Siebet

More info coming soon!

That is great indeed. One quick question. I am not familiar with the RepRap Discount LCD (googling it looks like it is an 128x64 dot matrix display. And here is my question, I assume I do not need the controller for such a board if I already have an ulticontroller. So would your port work with an umo (1.5.3) and an ulticontroller, where an 128x64 dot matrix is connected?

If so that lcd as an example would be suitable.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/arduino-compatible-128x64-dot-matrix-lcd-display-module/p/XC4617

Thanks again and cheers

Hi @greengecko

The idea is that you can use the UM2 interface and functionality on the UMO mainboard with a cheap Reprap Display.

We have only made the UM2 firmware compatible with the UMO mainboard and RepRap Discount Display.

So its possible that your display assembly will work but we are not sure. The UltiController is very expensive, so the cheapest option is to buy an Reprap display...

When there is something else not clear, let me know!

Posted · UM2 head on UMO

@Siebet

thanks a lot for your clarification. i to hink i got it now. i read some older post also from @amedee how to install the full graphic lcd to the umo.

if i am not mistaken it's plug and play (if the notch on the connecting cable is on the right side). also a save button should not be pressed (sensu amedee) and he even provides a selector in his great firmware builder. so i can test it and then upload your firmware once i have a mark2 upgrade. though this needs some more tweaking if i understand (endstops, sliders, parking device on the mark two).

i also assume if have to tweak the firmware to my specific settings e.g. pt100 heaters, home made hbk,)

obviously super awesome would be to include it into amedees firmware builder, but i totally admit i have not much of a clue how hard that is).

just will order a reprap display controller or however it is called.

found some chinese suppliers which ship to australia.

cheers, back to the modding...

my personal todo list: [admittedly not very interesting i assume]

change 24 mosfet, add 24v psu, add small 12v fan to the um2 head, add pt100 once e3d driver board is arriving....... so lot of fun bits...

btw the um2 head is working great, just the heater is taking longer (still 19v and old thermocouple) though temp reading is difficult as the thermocouple is too long for the olsson block..) sorry i am bubbling....

• Like 1

Posted · UM2 head on UMO

@Siebet

hi i successfully installed all mods um2 on umo (even silent steppers feels like a new printer) and i love the olsson to change nozzles. so easy. now the questions. is there any progress regarding the um2 firmware on the umo to prepare for the mark2 addon.

(my display arrived last week)

though i am a bit scared to upgrade such a nice printer, but two colours/materials would be my dream come true...

thanks in advance.

• Like 1