And so it begins... Spam...

misguided

Posted · And so it begins... Spam...

Yes, you can always report it. That will make sure the mods & admins will get a message to clean up the mess. I think they also going to input captcha, but that will only filter 80% of the spambots.

(Report is that ! mark next to a post)

Customize the registration page. Really, it stops 100% of the spam right there.

On a different forum I've added:

./includes/ucp/ucp_register.php around line 260:

if ($data['areyouhuman'] != "yes"){ $error[] = "You need to confirm that you are a human (no aliens allowed!)";}

And, styles/subsilver2/template/ucp_register.html around line 84: (you're using a different style, so the file might be a bit different)

[tr] Are you a human?: Enter 'yes' if you are a human. Else enter 'no'.[/tr]

I've disabled capcha's, email confirmation, and so far I've had 0, yes, ZERO. Spam signups. It won't work for high visibly sites, but it works for small forums like this one. No difficult "don't post URLs in your first post" plugins, no hard to read capcha's. Plain and simple "be different then the majority"

why dont you make a few of us real people MODS on the forum.

then we can blast out this spam when it happens.

I know on my history forum pixpast, I have a agang of about 8 MODS who do brilliant work and keep things spotless !

Ian

Never ask to be a mod!!

The spam definitely seems to be better now - thanks, UM!!

Never ask to be a mod!!

Actually, do, it's a perfect way to spot people who you don't want to be mods. Bad spelling/grammar and impatience are also bad characteristics for a moderator.

are you talking about me ?

are you talking about me ?
    Maybe :roll:

But I've seen worse. A lot worse. So don't sweat it. You're not flaming anyone, so that's good. (I've been moderator on a forum with at least one flamewar a week, usually more, with only 140 users or so)

As long as the forum is running cleanly, which I think it is right now, they don't really need a moderator. They could use someone with photoshop to make a better logo. Or atleast update the configuration so the logo image isn't squashed, because the image is quite fine:

site_logo.png

(It can be configured in the Administration Control Panel->Imagesets->Edit->Main_Logo)

whats a flamer ?

whats a flamer ?

Something we don't have here!! :)

whats a flamer ?

Forum pyromaniac.

ok thanks !

never heard the title before.

Ian

you can call me the forum fire brigade now :D

Ian :D

History seems to repeat itself with the 2015 forum... the new forum already has a serious spamming problem!

Yeah, I've requested (limited) mod rights, but appearantly we're going to get other means of fighting the spam. Lets wait and see :)

We had it under control in our previous forum set up, for this new forum we introduced a new method that would save our moderators the effort of manually approving posts, and would still protect our forum. It was great in theory, unfortunately practice is a bit different.

Currently we are looking into possibly using the old methods again as it seemed to work very well.

• Like 1

It's getting worse by the hour. The forum's main page with sorting 'by latest' has turned useless due to all the spamming.

Posted (edited) · And so it begins... Spam...

thank you for notifying!

Edited by Guest

And a new morning, and a new wall of spam,

I had to click through 5 pages of spam to get any new posts :(

Yep it's a real pain in the ass. Hopefully the new users approval will be re-inforced or done manually like before.

It should be installed today!

It's now 12:40, and still the site is plastered in SPAM !

get you fucking shit together Ultimaker.

just reset all passwords, and manually verify all accounts !

the spammers could have made thousands of account already, and keep using already made ones every day :(

It's now 12:40, and still the site is plastered in SPAM !

get you fucking shit together Ultimaker.

just reset all passwords, and manually verify all accounts !

the spammers could have made thousands of account already, and keep using already made ones every day :(

As long as they don't use their system which was used to verify accounts from the old forum - still waiting after 2 attempts!!!!

@navigator: I'm guessing your activation e-mail ended up in the spam folder or something in that case? Approving new posts was done manually (I've personally approved a few thousand of them) for the first three posts, after that you were good to go. I checked that queue many times every day unless I was away on business or something.

I just banned 10-15 spam accounts on my lunch break. There's only so much us moderators can do, we all have jobs to take care of as well.