Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Labern

The Mighty UM2go

Is the UM2go the Best of the UM2 serries?

Well, I certainly think so, So why are people opting for the UM2+ and UM2extended+? SIZE!

when buying a printer you look at the size of the build volume, You sit there with a rule in your hand thinking how tiny they all are. A UM2+ can only print 200x200 that just seems so small. So why would anyone ever want something as tiny as the UM2go? I first started off with a UM2 a few years back and printed lots of things some big, some small. but after a while I realised most prints go no way near filling the build volume. Then The UM2go hit the market and within minutes of its release, I placed my order.

Out of all my printers, it has by far the most print hours. Once I started printing with it I just loved it and found 90% of the things I print from phone holders, gadget repairs, prototypes and toys all fit within the build volume. Some max it out but you would be amazed at what you can actually fit in the little sucker.

UM2go Vs UM2+(extended) 20151212_013559.thumb.jpg.7d943702e18f124ba606567fef6127c5.jpg

Well, there are a few shortfalls in terms of features but these can be remedied as I will explain later.

The UM2go just has a fixed nozzle size at 0.4mm, The most common but the versatility of the Olsson block in the UM2+ is a big plus. Also sadly it never came out with a heated bed or geared feeder. but there are some positives, It's just so cute being one. When you first open the box for the first time you can resist smiling. The Price is a lot more affordable than any of the other UM2 series printers and the carry case is really handy. Most people won't need to take their printer anywhere but for those odd occasions where you want to take it into work or to see a mate who needs some parts for a project, it makes it such a breeze. But the main benefit is the print quality. The rigid little frame, short rods and little print bed allow it to print with superior quality than its bigger brothers. This means you can even crank up the speed a bit which is what you really want on those outings.

Carry Case

The carry case is very well made. It's really sturdy and can take quite a knock without damaging the case or your printer. There is a 2 go backpack kit so you can wear it on your back. Looks weird I know but its surprisingly comfortable. It also has space in the case for all your supplies so you have everything you need as an all one one package. If you want to kit your case out, even more, you can with some neat things like a carry handle, Wheels and even a Cup Holder.

5a333ca36f829_Screenshot(109).thumb.png.fb69b0721b5c5b5fddc5e6c3df1b2967.png

Upgrades

Number one upgrade for this little beast has to be the Heated Bed Kit from the Gr5 Store. If you are one of these people who only print with PLA then you can live without it but really. With it, your life is so much easier. Next is the Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Back in the day there used to be a printer called the UM2. It was much like the UM2go but Bigger. Well, this extrusion upgrade kit fixed a lot of issues that the UM2 had. Even though it's not officially supported for the UM2go you can still make good use of it. This will give you the Olsson block, better fans, Better feeder and more reliability. To fully make use of this upgrade kit I have designed a feeder housing that you can print so everything still fits inside your neat little carry case. IMG_20160906_160456.thumb.jpg.14701f527ca83b545843e327b8c85154.jpg I have also made a machine profile for cura so you can get the full UM2+ style experience. 5a333ca42456c_Screenshot(108).thumb.png.83b4dfdc476897b4720b78aac026c095.png

even after all of these upgrades it still comes in a few hundred dollars short of getting a UM2+

But there are a lot of other things you can do on a budget like print a Fan Shroud,

or some other options and many feeders to choose from like the popular Bondtech. UM3 style Wifi can also be achieved using a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint with the Octoprint plugin in CURA.

So, Should I buy One?

Yes, you Should.

If you are just starting out then this is a great little printer at a lower cost. It also gives you options to tinker and upgrade it to make this great little printer even better. If you already own a printer then you should consider it as it's a REALLY good second printer. Leave your UM2+ or UM3 doing all the big stuff while your Little UM2go can chug away on all the little stuff.

• Like 3

I just adopted a UM2GO from Ebay, I can't believe why I haven't considered this before, it's a beast.

As Labern mentions, 90% of my prints covers 20% of my UMO's buildplate, and most of it are mechanical parts and prototypes that customers need to see, so they need to

be correct and preferably, look nice.

I've already upgraded to heated bed from 3D Solex and the mandatory Bondtech extruder.

Some pics :

IMG_20170731_195308.thumb.jpg.921913f96acdde6b2fe19428f62d1f24.jpg

Installed Bondtech extruder, um2go size compared to a 2.2Kg spool is ridiculous :)

IMG_20170731_170655.thumb.jpg.56d59ed193d0247b2f5e370dbae2f867.jpg

The heated bed installed.

flir_20170731T200957.thumb.jpg.0deb4d342dba977ecde378cc2580847f.jpg

flir_20170731T200957.thumb.jpg.eb435e49e019bb15187fc8a7c855d589.jpg

flir_20170731T200948.thumb.jpg.bd564f529c16f7bf31b04b93bda8adf1.jpg

Flir thermal images of the heat from the heated bed.

(yes, thats printing a fidget spinner :) )

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I must say i love my 2go also... and i'm also convinced that it produces slightly better quality prints because it's so small and sturdy!

I see this being said from time to time on this forum. I wonder how much truth there is to it. I have my lovely UM2GO for almost two years now, upgraded with heated bed and Olsson block. It has over 3000 printing hours and still going strong. However, I plan to replace it in few months with UM2+. Only because of larger build volume.

Does the smaller and sturdier frame of UM2GO really make a big difference compared to UM2+? I always print at 20mm/s for best possible quality... and I wonder will the finish quality suffer once I upgrade...

Short joy for me atleast :) Major overnight fail, the UM GO have caught the part, glassbed was pushed over to the side, fan shroud ripped off (a printed one), one of the 30mm fans was melted into the hotend and ofcourse hinders the fan to spin.

After careful cleanup, everything seems ok....but not the 'fancontroller'.

I hooked up my 40mm fans from the UMO and they only spin on 100%, does this mean the 'darlington' transistor is blown ? Is it replaceable ?

The joy must resume :)

Oh no that sounds major.

What voltage are the fans you connected?

they are (noctua) 12v fans , same voltage as the orginal fans.

I have arranged with an inhouse electronics engineer at work, he will replace the smd transistor, I just need to unplug the um board and bring it, so crossing fingers everything works out :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I just installed 4 TL-Smoothers on my UM2go+ and it seems to give a nice improvement to the prints with zebra stripes hardy visible. Just another step to make this great little printer even better.

• Like 1