The Mighty UM2go

Labern

Posted · The Mighty UM2go

Is the UM2go the Best of the UM2 serries?

Well, I certainly think so, So why are people opting for the UM2+ and UM2extended+? SIZE!

when buying a printer you look at the size of the build volume, You sit there with a rule in your hand thinking how tiny they all are. A UM2+ can only print 200x200 that just seems so small. So why would anyone ever want something as tiny as the UM2go? I first started off with a UM2 a few years back and printed lots of things some big, some small. but after a while I realised most prints go no way near filling the build volume. Then The UM2go hit the market and within minutes of its release, I placed my order.

Out of all my printers, it has by far the most print hours. Once I started printing with it I just loved it and found 90% of the things I print from phone holders, gadget repairs, prototypes and toys all fit within the build volume. Some max it out but you would be amazed at what you can actually fit in the little sucker.

UM2go Vs UM2+(extended) 20151212_013559.thumb.jpg.7d943702e18f124ba606567fef6127c5.jpg

Well, there are a few shortfalls in terms of features but these can be remedied as I will explain later.

The UM2go just has a fixed nozzle size at 0.4mm, The most common but the versatility of the Olsson block in the UM2+ is a big plus. Also sadly it never came out with a heated bed or geared feeder. but there are some positives, It's just so cute being one. When you first open the box for the first time you can resist smiling. The Price is a lot more affordable than any of the other UM2 series printers and the carry case is really handy. Most people won't need to take their printer anywhere but for those odd occasions where you want to take it into work or to see a mate who needs some parts for a project, it makes it such a breeze. But the main benefit is the print quality. The rigid little frame, short rods and little print bed allow it to print with superior quality than its bigger brothers. This means you can even crank up the speed a bit which is what you really want on those outings.

Carry Case

The carry case is very well made. It's really sturdy and can take quite a knock without damaging the case or your printer. There is a 2 go backpack kit so you can wear it on your back. Looks weird I know but its surprisingly comfortable. It also has space in the case for all your supplies so you have everything you need as an all one one package. If you want to kit your case out, even more, you can with some neat things like a carry handle, Wheels and even a Cup Holder.

5a333ca36f829_Screenshot(109).thumb.png.fb69b0721b5c5b5fddc5e6c3df1b2967.png

Upgrades

Number one upgrade for this little beast has to be the Heated Bed Kit from the Gr5 Store. If you are one of these people who only print with PLA then you can live without it but really. With it, your life is so much easier. Next is the Extrusion Upgrade Kit, Back in the day there used to be a printer called the UM2. It was much like the UM2go but Bigger. Well, this extrusion upgrade kit fixed a lot of issues that the UM2 had. Even though it's not officially supported for the UM2go you can still make good use of it. This will give you the Olsson block, better fans, Better feeder and more reliability. To fully make use of this upgrade kit I have designed a feeder housing that you can print so everything still fits inside your neat little carry case. IMG_20160906_160456.thumb.jpg.14701f527ca83b545843e327b8c85154.jpg I have also made a machine profile for cura so you can get the full UM2+ style experience. 5a333ca42456c_Screenshot(108).thumb.png.83b4dfdc476897b4720b78aac026c095.png

even after all of these upgrades it still comes in a few hundred dollars short of getting a UM2+

But there are a lot of other things you can do on a budget like print a Fan Shroud,

or some other options and many feeders to choose from like the popular Bondtech. UM3 style Wifi can also be achieved using a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint with the Octoprint plugin in CURA.

So, Should I buy One?

Yes, you Should.

If you are just starting out then this is a great little printer at a lower cost. It also gives you options to tinker and upgrade it to make this great little printer even better. If you already own a printer then you should consider it as it's a REALLY good second printer. Leave your UM2+ or UM3 doing all the big stuff while your Little UM2go can chug away on all the little stuff.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · The Mighty UM2go

I just adopted a UM2GO from Ebay, I can't believe why I haven't considered this before, it's a beast.

As Labern mentions, 90% of my prints covers 20% of my UMO's buildplate, and most of it are mechanical parts and prototypes that customers need to see, so they need to

be correct and preferably, look nice.

I've already upgraded to heated bed from 3D Solex and the mandatory Bondtech extruder.

Some pics :

IMG_20170731_195308.thumb.jpg.921913f96acdde6b2fe19428f62d1f24.jpg

Installed Bondtech extruder, um2go size compared to a 2.2Kg spool is ridiculous :)

IMG_20170731_170655.thumb.jpg.56d59ed193d0247b2f5e370dbae2f867.jpg

The heated bed installed.

flir_20170731T200957.thumb.jpg.0deb4d342dba977ecde378cc2580847f.jpg

flir_20170731T200957.thumb.jpg.eb435e49e019bb15187fc8a7c855d589.jpg

flir_20170731T200948.thumb.jpg.bd564f529c16f7bf31b04b93bda8adf1.jpg

Flir thermal images of the heat from the heated bed.

(yes, thats printing a fidget spinner :) )

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I must say i love my 2go also... and i'm also convinced that it produces slightly better quality prints because it's so small and sturdy!

I see this being said from time to time on this forum. I wonder how much truth there is to it. I have my lovely UM2GO for almost two years now, upgraded with heated bed and Olsson block. It has over 3000 printing hours and still going strong. However, I plan to replace it in few months with UM2+. Only because of larger build volume.

Does the smaller and sturdier frame of UM2GO really make a big difference compared to UM2+? I always print at 20mm/s for best possible quality... and I wonder will the finish quality suffer once I upgrade...

Short joy for me atleast :) Major overnight fail, the UM GO have caught the part, glassbed was pushed over to the side, fan shroud ripped off (a printed one), one of the 30mm fans was melted into the hotend and ofcourse hinders the fan to spin.

After careful cleanup, everything seems ok....but not the 'fancontroller'.

I hooked up my 40mm fans from the UMO and they only spin on 100%, does this mean the 'darlington' transistor is blown ? Is it replaceable ?

The joy must resume :)

Oh no that sounds major.

What voltage are the fans you connected?

they are (noctua) 12v fans , same voltage as the orginal fans.

I have arranged with an inhouse electronics engineer at work, he will replace the smd transistor, I just need to unplug the um board and bring it, so crossing fingers everything works out :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

We'll light a little candle for good fortune!

• Like 1

Well it's good you have someone with the expertise on hand. Hope it works out.

• Like 1

I just installed 4 TL-Smoothers on my UM2go+ and it seems to give a nice improvement to the prints with zebra stripes hardy visible. Just another step to make this great little printer even better.

• Like 1

Dear Labern

I own an ultimaker 2+ but have just bought a 2nd hand Ultimaker 2 Go.    I am curious about your feeder cover.   Is this simply to facilitate getting the U2Go into the carry case after upgrade?

You also mention changing the default firmware.   Is this only required with your custom feeder or with the Extrusion Upgrade kit in general?

You mention changing the E steps to 369 if I use the 2+ feeder.   How do I change the E steps

I guess what I am really asking is, what steps I have to do if I only use the Extrusion Upgrade Kit without your custom housing

Thanks

Medical Modeller

Hi @medicalmodeller

Yes the feeder cover is only if you want it to fit in the case after doing the plus upgrade. You can just use the plus upgrade feeder if you don't need it to fit in the case. 

If you install the custom firmware then you can change the the E steps in the menu and it also allows you to use heated bed. The custom firmware gives a lot of great features.

So you can install the upgrade and custom firmware that's it if you want. 

You can also change the E steps by sending the following code to the printer.

M92 E369

M500

And this will set the correct E steps. But if you do it that way you can't use the material change in the menu as it will be too fast. 

Thanks for fast reply.

So may I clarify (sorry to labour the point)???   

If I install the Extrusion  Kit upgrade  but not your custom feeder, do  I still have to change the E steps to 369?   But then I cannot use the material change in the menu?      So how do you change the material?   Just reverse?

If I install the Extrusion Kit  without your custom feeder am I right that I still have to reverse the stepper motor wires too?

Sorry to appear dim

Thanks

The feeder that comes in the extrusion upgrade kit has gears unlike the original UM2go one.

Because of these gears it means the E steps need to be changed so that it will extrude the correct amount of material. Also the gears change the direction the feeder will be turning, so yes the wires on the stepper motor need reversing.

There are different ways to change the E steps. Using the tinkergnome firmware is the best as you can change the E Steps in the menu and still use the material change option. 

Also a lot of people don't use the material change menu because it's slow. You can just lift the lever on the feeder and pull out the old material then push in the new one. 

If you ever get stuck just ask. I would have provided some photos to help explain a bit better but I'm unable to right now. 

Brilliant

It is reassuring to know that you can support me.  Although I own both a U2+ and an U3, I have never delved into the firmware, plus both came ready built

I am collecting my eBay purchase (£430) later today so may be in touch for more support in some days time.

If you are interested/curious, I originally got the printer for work 

but have now moved onto mainly printing boaty parts (which I published in Practical Boat Owner and can share if anyone is interestedPBO.pdf)

MM

• Like 1

This is a great thread!   A new (to us) UM2Go just joined the family and upgrades are next on the list.

Looking at the UM2+ extrusion upgrade kit. prompts a question.  I upgraded the feeders on my UM3 to Bondtec so have two original low time UM3 feeders sitting in a box.  Is the original UM3 feeder the same part as the one in the UM2+ extrusion upgrade kit?  If so, is it then just a matter of getting the correct stepper motor (and firmware change) to complete the feeder upgrade?

Thanks!

John

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that the feeder on a U3 is the same as the U2+.   I would comment that I have never had a feed problem with the U3 so I wonder why you upgraded.

MM

That's a good question - I upgraded my feeders on the UM3 specifically so I could print abrasive materials.  The original UM3 feeders are not hardened like they are on the S5.  The Bondtec feeders are.  I also invested in two 3dSolex Hardcores with ruby/sapphire tips.  It's worked pretty well - a couple of things that needed to change and a bit of learning, but certainly a cost effective change.

Cheers

J

I would stick to the same UM2go stepper as it will give higher resolution which is good for 0.25mm nozzle. And yes the UM3 feeder is the same.

• Thanks 1

OK!  I see the references to a new feeder cover in order to fit into the case following the UM2 extrusion upgrade.  I presume I would have to change the cover if I used the UM3 Feeder as well? 

If I keep the original stepper but change the extruder, I presume I will have to change steps per mm to something different from the original but not the same as the full switch out.  Is there a method to determine the correct value?

Thanks again!

John

Yes you would need to print my cover if you want the UM3 feeder to fit the case. 

You change the steps to 738 if you use the UM2go stepper or 369 if you use the UM3 or UM2+ stepper.

• Like 1

That's great!  Thanks!

I now have the Ultimaker 2 Go and now am starting the mods.

On my Ultimaker 2+ and the Ultimaker 3 I have BuildTak Flexible plate system which I love.   I have given up with the BuildTak sheet but find it ever so useful to pull the FlexPlate out the printer to then remove the print rather than doing this with the confines of the printer.   With the new baby printer, it would be even more of a help

Any reason not to use the Flexible Plate with the U2Go????  BuildTak do not make a plate small enough and are quite costly, so I will try Zimple instead

Next I am looking to buy a heated bed kit.    gr5 store looks like it only ships to USA and not to the UK.  However I emailed them and "George" says that he will ship to London. 

On my U2+ and U3, I have front enclosures.   Has anyone made one for the U2Go to save me creating one from scratch? 

Just doing my first print.  Its a PITA not having a heated bed as I have had to use a bit glue to get the filament to stick! I printed a test from the SD card that came with the printer and it looks incomplete.     Have now gone to Cura to make a test print from scratch.   Unlike for U2+ and U3 I cannot create a material profile and I cannot change the default settings.   What is the cure for this????

Finally I realise that the printer came with 1.75mm thickness filament.   I have just swapped to 2.85 and the feeder is not happy.  Is it meant to use 1.75 with this feeder?

Thanks

MM

Edited by medicalmodeller
    More questions