The Mighty UM2go

Labern

Posted · The Mighty UM2go

There are multiple versions of the tinkerGnome firmware for um2 series printers including 2 for um2go (with and without heated bed).  So as long as you select one of the ones for um2go it will insert the filament properly for the um2go bowden.

By the way, on my printers with the meduza/iRoberti feeder combo I don't use the menu system to insert and remove filament.  I just pull it out and slide in the new filament.  Similarly with my UM3 and S5.

Posted (edited) · The Mighty UM2go

I am not familiar with how GitHub works and cannot seem to find the place with the firmware for the UM2Go+ with and without a heated bed.  Can you point me in the right direction?

I have followed a link to find the site with files to create a profile for upgraded UM2Go.  https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2go-cura-machine    However the folders referred to for Cura 2 do not seem to relate to Cura 4.6    I do not have a definitions folder, Variants folder, or images folder.   It's not clear to me how I make the UM2Go+ custom profile.   Can you/Labern help a simple surgeon?

Many thanks

MM

Edited by medicalmodeller

I didn't post a link?  tinkerMarlin is here:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

I have posted that link thousands of times and didn't realize I didn't post it in this thread.  Sorry.   Click on version 19.03.1 then read each description.  You probably want the 9th hex file.  Then you can use any version of cura (or many other arduino software) to load the hex file - you need a USB cable to connect from your computer to your printer (what kind of computer do you have?  pc/mac/linux?)

This link has pictures of the meduza and iroberti so you can see how it all goes together.  It also has links to some (all?) of the files you need on youmagine.  The meduza needs special parts you have to order so it's more work.  I get them all on ebay or aliexpress.

http://gr5.org/med/

OK thanks

Found the Tinkergnome 19.03.1 at https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases/tag/V19.03.1

I see that there are 4 files for UM2Go.   Obviously I do not have a dual version (who knew that one could?).  What does HBK mean?   I am assuming that I load the plain/non-HBK version

Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2go-19.03.1.hex

I have Windows 10 laptop.

Any thoughts/advice about custom printer profile in Cura??

Thanks

MM

Tinkermarlin.PNG

4 hours ago, medicalmodeller said:

What does HBK mean?

Quick answer:

Once in a time there was a Heated-Bed-Kit available from 3D Solex, that's what HBK stands for.

5 hours ago, medicalmodeller said:

I am assuming that I load the plain/non-HBK version

That sounds correct to me.

5 hours ago, medicalmodeller said:

I am assuming that I load the plain/non-HBK version

Oops.  Yes.  I think I "pointed" you to an HBK version (which is what I have on my 3 um2gos) without thinking.  If you load the wrong one you won't break anything.  The HBK one will complain that the bed is too hot.  Similarly with the dual extruder firmware - it will complain that extruder 2 is too hot.

25 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Oops.  Yes.  I think I "pointed" you to an HBK version (which is what I have on my 3 um2gos) without thinking.  If you load the wrong one you won't break anything.  The HBK one will complain that the bed is too hot.  Similarly with the dual extruder firmware - it will complain that extruder 2 is too hot.

If I buy the heated bed from GR5 Store (is that you??)   would I then change to load the HBK version?

Thanks

Yes that's me.  Yes you would get the other firmware.  Once you've done it, you realize how easy it is to load firmware.  Almost faster to just try it than to ask.  It takes less than a minute I think to transfer the whole firmware into the Ultimaker.

Posted (edited) · The Mighty UM2go

Just a thought for anyone else upgrading their UM2Go.   I upgraded with the official kit from Ultimaker that takes a U2 to a U2+.  The feeder is meant to go on the left side of the back (when looking from the front), but on the UM2Go its on the right.  This means the the little lever one pulls up to allow filament to pass is irritatingly on the inside edge and not the outer edge.  It might explain why the wires did not need reversing?

If I were doing this again, I would buy the components separately and choose the feeder for the U3 the is meant to go on the right side of the rear (if it can be bought separately that is).

Meanwhile I have made a reel holder for the filament reel so that the reel is off the printer.  Now I can get to the feeder easily

MM

Edited by medicalmodeller

So I have installed the printed bed.   I have upgraded the software.   I have followed the instruction to change the settings for PLA.

My alternative filament is ASA, that I usually print with the nozzle at 245C and the bed at about 85C

Can I store these settings in the customized option or do I set them each time I change from PLA to ASA?

So far so good

TM

26 minutes ago, medicalmodeller said:

My alternative filament is ASA, that I usually print with the nozzle at 245C and the bed at about 85C

Can I store these settings in the customized option or do I set them each time I change from PLA to ASA?

It depends... The following applies only if you use Cura and the (default) GCode-flavor:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013127919-Custom-material-profiles-for-Ultimaker-2-and-Ultimaker-2-

On 10/30/2020 at 4:52 PM, tinkergnome said:

It depends... The following applies only if you use Cura and the (default) GCode-flavor:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013127919-Custom-material-profiles-for-Ultimaker-2-and-Ultimaker-2-

I followed the instructions to make a new material profile on the SD card.  I then imported the profile as instructed, but when I go to the materials choice on the UM2Go+, only PLA is listed and not my new profile for ASA.   FWIW I am now using the Tinker Marline firmware on the UM2Go+

Any suggestions?

I guess you have an error in the file.

3 hours ago, medicalmodeller said:

Any suggestions?

Well, my best suggestion is: change the GCode-Flavor in Cura from "Ultimaker2" to "Marlin". This gives you full control of the material settings in Cura, and the (limited) options on the printer are not used anymore. I did it this way and never looked back.

Regarding the "MATERIAL.TXT" file -

My lazy approach in the good ol' days was:

- use "material" -> "settings" -> "customize" on the printer and change all available settings to your liking

- save this as a new preset ("Save as preset" -> "new preset") - it will get a name like "CUSTOM02" or similar

If you want a more descriptive name for it:

- export the material file to sd-card

- open it with a simple text editor and change only the name from "CUSTOM02" to "ASA" (do not touch anything else)

- (re-) import the file on the printer

My file error was changing the fan from 100 to 10.  I now changed it to 010 and the import works fine. 

I have now followed Ambassador's advice to make a new pre-set.    After importing and exporting I have this file

[material]
    name=PLA
    temperature=210
    temperature_0.40=210
    temperature_0.25=210
    temperature_0.60=220
    temperature_0.80=210
    temperature_1.00=220
    bed_temperature=60
    fan_speed=100
    flow=100
    diameter=2.85
    [material]
    name=ASA
    temperature=245
    temperature_0.40=250
    temperature_0.25=210
    temperature_0.60=220
    temperature_0.80=210
    temperature_1.00=220
    bed_temperature=85
    fan_speed=010
    flow=100
    diameter=2.85
    [material]

I have imported this.  For some reason the first import failed.  I tried again and now I have the choice of PLA and ASA on the printer.   Yeah!

Thanks everyone

MM

So it seems the fan speed value should have 3 digits, right?

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

So it seems the fan speed value should have 3 digits, right?

Absolutely.   10% is 010

MM

Interesting, I did not know that.

Now I have done this, I realise that the simplest way to add a new material is to

Export printer settings to the SD card

Open the file in notebook in order to edit

Copy and past the file I have posted and simply amend the fields and then import the file back into the printer.

MM

• Like 1

Another successful UM2Go Heated Bed and Olsson upgrade.  Thanks for this great thread.

I am eyeing the extruder upgrade next.  Two questions.

The source for my 'upgrade' units will be my old UM3 extruders.  Of course there is a left and a right.   I understand that upgrading the extruder on the UM2Go normally involves a wire swap.  Can I avoid this if I use the second extruder from the UM3?

Second question is on the stepper shaft length.  I don't have another stepper motor and would rather not cut the shaft, in case I botch this upgrade and have to reinstall the original extruder.  Is there a way to mount the UM3 components in the (excellent) Labern housing without cutting the original stepper shaft?

Oh and a shout out to George @gr5.  The new heated bed kit version is great!  I put my imager on the bed glass after about 15 minutes.  The glass temperature was within a degree of what the printer was reporting for bed temp. 

Thanks!

John

John, I guess you will also install the Tinkergnome FW on the UM2Go to have all the features enabled. If so, then you don't need to swap the wires on the stepper, you can also do it from the printers menu to invert the direction of the motor.

• Thanks 1

Yes, quite correct @Smithy.  I have the tinkergnome firmware installed and the power budget set.  I forgot I could manage the swap in the selections.

Thanks!

John

just a bump, about to do the feeder surgery, hoping to avoid amputating the stepper shaft..  Any way I can mount the UM3 feeder on the Um2Go original stepper and leave myself the option to revert to the original feeder?

Thanks!

J

First of all, I have no idea or a solution to your initial question regarding the UM3 feeder. 

But I would not modify the feeder, leave it as it and go for another solution. If you want to safe money, take a look at the Medusa or Roberts feeder modifications. Or if you want a plug and play solution, go with the Bondtech QR feeder.

• Thanks 1